Gunnar vs. Coby Mayo at the same place in time

Roy Firestone

6 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

So what is the real story on his defense? Because if he's playable at 3B, there is a spot for him to play. Mateo has been seeing his numbers slide down of late (notwithstanding the homer and triple this week). And while Urias had that surge, he seems to be trailing off again as well. 

Now, if he's just not playable at 3B defensively, that's a different story and we are in a position where he gets the Kjerstad/Stowers treatment with very limited playing time.  

Westburg is far better atThird, right? So Mayo would have to play somewhere else, and that would have to be first but we have two 1B already.

So what is the real story on his defense? Because if he's playable at 3B, there is a spot for him to play. Mateo has been seeing his numbers slide down of late (notwithstanding the homer and triple this week). And while Urias had that surge, he seems to be trailing off again as well. 

Now, if he's just not playable at 3B defensively, that's a different story and we are in a position where he gets the Kjerstad/Stowers treatment with very limited playing time.  

Westburg is far better atThird, right? So Mayo would have to play somewhere else, and that would have to be first but we have two 1B already.

5 minutes ago, HowAbout That said:

Yes and no.  Yes, Westburg is likely better at 3B.  But Westburg is also a strong option at 2B.  So the question in my mind is whether the net offense/defense of 2B Westburg/3B Mayo better than 2B Mateo-Westburg / 3B Westburg-Urias for 2024?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I was,wondering if Coby is actually Roy's biological child.

I think he’s just advocating for the second or third best hitting prospect we've had in 20 years in term of age and results. You can really only put Gunnar and Holliday in his category. Adley while being the number 1 prospect was not drafted until Mayo current age. I think people hesitate because they see what happened with Holliday, Cowser and Kjerstad so far. Then forget what happened with Westburg, Gunnar, and Adley. You are talking about 3 of the top 100 players in baseball right now.

30 minutes ago, HowAbout That said:

Westburg struggles going to his right on balls at 2B and doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. He has been solid at 3B at this year which always amazes me that when Urias plays 3B, Westburg moves over there unless it's to give him more experience knowing Mayo is coming.

I didn't honestly realize how bad Westburg has played at 2B according to both OAA and DRS. Still, I'd move him to 2B and play Mayo at 3B. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

Coby Mayo in AAA this year:

• 48 games
  • .301/.370/.617/1.048
  • 13 2B, 2 3B, 15 HR
  • 20 BB, 56 K
  • 41 RBI

Gunnar Henderson in his AAA career:

• 65 games
  • .288/.390/.504/.894
  • 13 2B, 4 3B, 11 HR
  • 38 BB, 78 K
  • 38 RBI

It's well past time to call Coby up

Gunnar was an elite defender at any  IF position you put him at.  Urias and Mateo have been hitting the ball really well recently.  I'm for Mayo, but I don't see how he helps our struggling pitching.

This team doesn't have defense issues.  Bringing Mayo up, introduces those issues.  

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Westburg struggles going to his right on balls at 2B and doesn't have the arm strength to make up for it. He has been solid at 3B at this year which always amazes me that when Urias plays 3B, Westburg moves over there unless it's to give him more experience knowing Mayo is coming.

I didn't honestly realize how bad Westburg has played at 2B according to both OAA and DRS. Still, I'd move him to 2B and play Mayo at 3B. 

This goes to the point that if we could do a contender-contender swap using Mateo as bait, then we should.  Would Mateo be enough to get a Bobby Miller(spare part SP) from a SS/2B needy team?

Mayo's defense at 3B is going to be a problem. 

Mansolino wasn't confident in him until this spring when Mayo made adjustments to his arm slot on his throws. And apparently it got better in spring training, but are we actually seeing better results on the field at AAA since then? I'd say no. Not to the extent that it would need to be. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gunnar was an elite defender at any  IF position you put him at.  Urias and Mateo have been hitting the ball really well recently.  I'm for Mayo, but I don't see how he helps our struggling pitching.

This team doesn't have defense issues.  Bringing Mayo up, introduces those issues.  

100%. You need strong defense. Coby Mayo isn't strong defense. 

Now, could he play 1B or DH? Sure. But who are you sitting at DH? This team loves to DH Adley and any number of the DH-Like OFers (Santander, Kjerstad, Cowser, O'Hearn). So, unless you trade somebody, he's blocked or is going to hurt the team on defense. Are you starting Mayo at 1B over Mounty or O'Hearn? I don't think so.

His role on the club in 2024 is at a DH. And for that to happen you need to play Santander in the OF more and have Adley catch more, rest some of the others more to give Mayo the time enough to warrant a call up. That sounds like way too much impact.

• Upvote 1