Orioles want Ackley?

you have to interpret college baseball stats carefully. For example, his 4-4 2 HR performance tonight is against hapless Davidson pitchers, who frankly, should have pitched around him.

He is a "safe" pick, in that I'm confident he'll reach the majors and be a decent hitter. It would be great if he could play CF, it would give him much more value.

There are some outstanding high school arms available this year= Matzek, Purke, etc. But they have the worst chance statistically of being significant Major League performers...

Aaron Crow might be appealing if we go with a pitcher...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Between White and Crow who would you guys rather have? Im probably in the minority on this but I would take Crow and am not convinced that White is #1 material, atleast not as much as Crow.

I think I lean towards Crow as well.

I hate having to post stuff like this because it makes it seem like I don't like Ackley -- I think he's a very talented hitter.

Totals for season

Hits/Hits for Extra Bases - 44/15

2B - 5

3B - 2

HR - 8

Breakdown Against "Lesser" Competition

2B - vs VMI (3)

3B - vs Liberty (1); vs Duke Sunday Starter (1)

HR - vs Appalachian State (3); vs Davidson (2); vs Princeton (1)

I'm not saying he isn't good, and won't be good, but against better competitions he's basically been a singles-only guy this year. Still lots of ball, so this probably means very little. Good to see him in CF because these are not 1B numbers for a top 5 pick.

No, draft the best talent available. Right now IMO Ackley is better than either Reimold or Pie......

I'm actually fishing with that question. I wonder how many people would pass on the BPA if he doesn't play a position of need. For example, what if Ackley were actually a stud catcher and the top hitter?

For the record, I'm 100% undecided on who to pick next year, unless somehow Strasbourg falls to us. I'm not sold on Green, a couple of pitchers have mixed reports and Crow scares the heck out of me.

Ackley looks like he'll be the best bat available and perhaps the lowest risk to reach his hitting potential. I can definitely see a case to be made for him.

Worried about his mechanics? Then u need to worry about all the other top 10 pitchers mechanics also because not 1 has picture perfect mechanics, yes even God himself Strasburg.

I don't think anyone on here has implied that Strasburg has picture perfect mechanics.

I'm actually fishing with that question. I wonder how many people would pass on the BPA if he doesn't play a position of need. For example, what if Ackley were actually a stud catcher and the top hitter?

For the record, I'm 100% undecided on who to pick next year, unless somehow Strasbourg falls to us. I'm not sold on Green, a couple of pitchers have mixed reports and Crow scares the heck out of me.

Ackley looks like he'll be the best bat available and perhaps the lowest risk to reach his hitting potential. I can definitely see a case to be made for him.

I think Ackley as "best bat" is still on reputation so far this year. Hard to argue with what Jason Kipnis (Arizona State) and Kent Matthes (Alabama) have done against decent schedules, not to mention half a dozen other bats against relatively light schedules.

That said, I reserve judgment until I see him at BC at the end of May. Hopefully he'll be hitting the gaps more by then.

I think Ackley as "best bat" is still on reputation so far this year. Hard to argue with what Jason Kipnis (Arizona State) and Kent Matthes (Alabama) have done against decent schedules, not to mention half a dozen other bats against relatively light schedules.

That said, I reserve judgment until I see him at BC at the end of May. Hopefully he'll be hitting the gaps more by then.

How is Kipnis defensively? Can he handle the infield?

Ackley finishes the night 4-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB, and 1 SB. Probably his best showing yet this season. And the 8 HR leaves him only 2 short of his college career high of 10 that he had in 2007 and he's got plenty of baseball left to play.

And Ackley has been showing he can hit since his freshman year. I'd grab him and take what he gives me at 1B. If Chase Utley is his comparison, I'd gladly be happy with that.

But it looks more and more like he won't be there for us to pick anyway. I can see Seattle grabbing him at #2 if Boras doesn't scare them off...

When you saw Kipnis, was he hitting against good pitchers? This is from BA (3/9/09):

"One scout commented, “He’s tough to profile. He competes at the plate. I like guys that ‘are up there to hit’. But, he seems to struggle against good pitching and there’s an area in the strike zone that he doesn’t handle very well. More of an extra outfielder for me."

Link to whole article: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=522

That article was almost a month ago, so I wondered if there are still questions about Kipnis.

When you saw Kipnis, was he hitting against good pitchers? This is from BA (3/9/09):

Link to whole article: http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=522

That article was almost a month ago, so I wondered if there are still questions about Kipnis.

I saw him rake against some pretty good in-conference pitching.

Looking at last night's game against a very good Cal St. Fullerton team, Kipnis went 2-5 with his 9th HR, knocking in 3 (he was in CF again). Worth noting ASU has a very good FR 2B, which is probably why Kipnis is out in center -- to make the best lineup possible.

At the USC game last saturday (which I attended) Kipnis went 3-4 with two doubles and his 7th HR. This was against Triggs, an underclassman who has pitched very well all year (2.51/.223 BAA, 28.2 IP, 21 SO, 7 BB, 23 H -- that includes a shelling at the hands of ASU).

Friday night was a pitcher's duel between two potential high-round draft picks -- for USC it was Boxberger (who could go late in the first round to someone who wants to convert him to a closer). Kipnis was 0-1 with 2 BB.

Most feel he's not top 10 material (for reasons I don't understand). I'll point out that robust .450 average and 13 HR have come against very good opponents...

I think it's just a matter of him coming from pretty far down the board -- most want to see production for more than a month before switching everything around. If draft boards went solely according to how the season has gone, I'd imagine Grant Green would be an early second rounder or supplemental pick.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's Poythress, without the "l" and adding an "r".

Georgia has had a pretty solid schedule, already hitting in conference teams like Tennessee, Bama and Miss St, and out of conference games against Zona and Clemson. They also started the season with 11 games against Youngstown St., Presbyterian, Quinnipiac, Le Moyne.

which isn't too shabby. Is it inconceivable to think that a lights out 2009 campaign can vault him into the top 10?

And yes, it's Poythress. What a hard name to type....

I've never seen him play in person, but I love the fact that he's walked 3 times more than he's struck out. To me, that suggests patience and plate discipline (something O's prospects tend to lack). In addition, he's had success in a top tier college division and done his damage against some very good competition. The same can't be said for Ackley or Kipnis.

I agree, chosing him with #5 does seem a bit of a reach. But he'll be long gone before we pick again...

Archived