What other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team (11 reserves, 12 pitchers)

Frobby

What other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team?

• Corbin Burnes
    • Craig Kimbrel
    • Ryan Mountcastle
    • Ryan O’Hearn
    • Grayson Rodriguez
    • Anthony Santander
    • Jordan Westburg
    • Other (specify)

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 07/07/24 at 21:30

Okay, so Gunnar and Adley deservedly were selected to start the All Star Game.  There will be another 11 position players chosen, and 12 pitchers. Who else from the Orioles deserves to make the team?

It would be easy to say that all four Orioles who made the finals should be chosen, but I’d question that assumption.   Just by rWAR, you have guys who weren’t finalists like Jarren Duran (4.6 rWAR), Riley Greene (3.4), Josh Smith (3.4), Carlos Correa (3.2) and Isiah Kiner-Falefa (3.1) to name a few.  Then you have guys like Josh Naylor (20 HR, 61 RBI) and Rafael Devers (158 OPS+, 18 HR, 49 RBI).   

On the pitching side, Burnes, Rodriguez and Kimbrel all seem like candidates for the 12 spots, but there are lots of deserving candidates.  

So, where’s your vote?  Which Orioles deserve to go, given the limited spots?

Edited by Frobby

I think Suarez should be on the list. He doesn't qualify for league leaders but his 2.43 ERA is near elite. Could he make it as a reliever? He is ahead of Kimbrel in WAR. 

O's leaders by WAR: Gunnar 6.1, Adley 3.0, Burnes 2.7, Westburg 2.6, Rhino 2.0, Mountcastle 1.8, Santander 1.8, Suarez 1.7, Cowser 1.7, Grayson 1.3

fWAR has Grayson ahead of Suarez. 

Assuming Burnes and Kimbrel are locks, Westburg would be the next priority based on WAR. Santander and Mountcastle were both finalists and deserve to go based on their overall careers. 

Selfishly, I don't want Grayson throwing any extra innings in an exhibition game.

• Frobby changed the title to What other Orioles deserve to be on the All Star Team (11 reserves, 12 pitchers)

I'll reiterate what I said in the other thread.

1. CHW Crochet
  2. OAK Miller
  3. LAA Anderson
  4. DET Skubal
  5. TOR none (Guerrero starting)
  6. TEX Yates
  7. TB Paredes
  8. HOU Blanco, Tucker-> IL, replaced
  9. BOS Houck
  10. SEA Gilbert or Kirby
  11. KC Perez, Witt and Lugo
  12. MIN Correa
  13. CLE Clase
  14. NY ??
  15. BAL Burnes

That would leave seven position player and one pitcher spot open.

The pitcher could be Gil, or Stroman, or Eovaldi, or G-Rod, or Fedde... there are a few more.  Kimbrel has a shot, I think, as a replacement if one of those starting pitchers can't pitch.  Thinking Gil here so the Yanks have three.

If I were to handicap the seven position players I would say Greene (DET), Smith and Semien (TEX), Devers and Duran (BOS), Santander and Mountcastle (BAL).  I don't know if a third catcher is required.

Westburg will be the biggest snub.  He deserves a spot, but 3B is loaded.

I'd say Burnes, Grayson, Westburg, and Kimbrel in that order.  Westburg is the type of player that takes you watching him play every day to truly appreciate him.  He does everything you could ask from a player to help his team win: hit, hit for power, tough gritty at bats, hustles every play on offense and defense, plays multiple positions well, heady baserunner, good speed, athleticism....and I love the fact that he's one of the few players these days who doesn't pose or admire his home runs...puts his head down and runs around the bases...

I said Burnes, Westburg, Kimbrel and Santander. I'm not familiar with all the options for OF in the AL but I can't imagine there's enough that Tony and his 22 dingers are left off. Tucker deserves it but I'm assuming he will still be on IL? Or perhaps skip it anyway. Kinda the same with closers. Clause will make it and probably Holmes too. Well and Miller. After that?