Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

sportsfan8703

143 members have voted

1. 1. Poll - Would you trade Cowser, McDermott, Norby, and Stowers for Crochet?

• Yes
    • No

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Crochet seems like the worst of both worlds. He can’t help you as a starter, and he’s limited to how often he can pitch as a reliever. If this team wasn’t in contention, sure…cool pickup. But why not just get a real reliever and a starter that isn’t innings limited? 

What you listed above is why I don’t think Crochet is coming here 

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The additional years of control.

That screams offseason acquisition to me then unless Chicago is insistent on unloading him this deadline.  I'm much more ok with giving up Cowser if it's an offseason deal, because we can sign someone or work something else out to cover for him, and because we would be starting fresh with a new season come 2025 without having to worry about weakening a playoff team down the stretch.  We can't do that midseason and we don't have any other legitimate CFs.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Those threads were about trading Cease, not one specific proposed Cease trade.   In fact, the thread on Soxtalk wasn’t just about the Orioles, but any team trading for Cease.   The threads here that were devoted to a specific trade involved Cowser and Ortiz being packaged.   Not pitchers, not four players.  

It’s the framework of the Cease deal plus a 4th player for the extra .5 season and 3rd playoffs. 

The Cease thread was Cowser, Norby, and Stowers. Some were willing to give Povich in place of Stowers. This is the same deal. In this deal we’re paying McDermott for a half season and extra playoffs for Crochet. 

It’s just a discussion. We all have different opinions. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

41 minutes ago, Malike said:

If I were a betting man I'd bet that the O's trade Cowser/Kjerstad before anyone else. We'll know in a few weeks I guess.

I'd give up Kjerstad 100/100 before Cowser.  We can't backfill someone that can handle CF and Kjerstad has a bat-first COF/DH replacement knocking on the door already.  And that replacement has a quicker path to playing time because he bats right handed.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The additional years of control.

I suppose, but you’re hamstringing your club this year to keep a guy that isn’t going to help you all that much. I suppose you could just option him to the minors and then make other options, but it’d seem odd to trade a lot of your farm capital to not help the club this year when they definitely need help. 

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This pretty much the Cease package we offered, or so it seems.

I would substitute Kjerstad for Cowser and do it but I voted no in this poll.  Cowser’s offensive upside combined with his defense?   Can’t do it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

They shouldn't just be looking at this season tho right?

What's the 2025 opening day rotation look like right now?

Even if you just slot him in the pen the rest of the season that's value for this season.

My point is, if I’m giving up assets, I want it to help win a WS THIS season. If they’re confident Crochet can contribute, I’m all for it. But I don’t know how they could be confident. If they’re not, then fing another target. 

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

My point is, if I’m giving up assets, I want it to help win a WS THIS season. If they’re confident Crochet can contribute, I’m all for it. But I don’t know how they could be confident. If they’re not, then fing another target. 

What if he's a bullpen arm for the rest of the season (which is a need)?

I don't think he's immediately getting shut down by a team if they trade for him during the season.

45 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What if he's a bullpen arm for the rest of the season (which is a need)?

I don't think he's immediately getting shut down by a team if they trade for him during the season.

And then blows out and those 2 years become a big ole 0.  Would be fun to watch those 4 guys put up 23 years of combined service.  

I know I know, you can’t count on them to reach their full potential and accrue their full service time.  

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s the framework of the Cease deal plus a 4th player for the extra .5 season and 3rd playoffs. 

The Cease thread was Cowser, Norby, and Stowers. Some were willing to give Povich in place of Stowers. This is the same deal. In this deal we’re paying McDermott for a half season and extra playoffs for Crochet. 

Crochet has 1 good season….Cease was a good starter with an elite season. I don’t see how the return would be the same. Besides ….Cease returned a low #85 top 100 and some filler. Cowser is better by far than a #85 prospect. Why would we need to give 3 others players? In fact Cowser and Norby would be way to much.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t even know what my opinion is.  But we did not have hundreds of posts in the Cease threads using this “framework.”   There were dozens of permutations under discussion, and this was not a dominant one IMO.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/50079-would-you-trade-cowser-and-ortiz-for-cease/#comment-3047679

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/50339-would-you-trade-cowser-and-ortiz-for-cease-december-follow-up/#comment-3053741

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t even know what my opinion is.  But we did not have hundreds of posts in the Cease threads using this “framework.”   There were dozens of permutations under discussion, and this was not a dominant one IMO.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/50079-would-you-trade-cowser-and-ortiz-for-cease/#comment-3047679

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/topic/50339-would-you-trade-cowser-and-ortiz-for-cease-december-follow-up/#comment-3053741

I wonder what Getz thinks of Ortiz’ 2.1 WAR these days.  

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

And then blows out and those 2 years become a big ole 0.  Would be fun to watch those 4 guys put up 23 years of combined service.  

I know I know, you can’t count on them to each take potential and mature their service time.  

So if you know, why are you saying it?

You can't keep them all.