Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Sports Guy

Skubal trade  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't think Detroit sees themselves as rebuilding. They need some pieces and they are free from the bad contracts they had, but they certainly don't need to trade arguably the best pitcher in the AL who they have for 2 more years after this one to get better. If they trade anyone it will be Flaherty if his back proves to be healthy.

Agree that Flaherty is the guy that they will want to trade, and someone will trade for him.  Probably not us, though.  

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Burnes was, then he wasn’t, then he was.   But the idea was floated out there because he was in his walk year and the Brewers had to decide whether to hold him or not.   I don’t see the Tigers in that position which is why I think it would take a massive overpay.   I think the Tigers see themselves as close to being playoff contenders.   I don’t see them trading their ace unless it an offer the can’t refuse and, frankly, I haven’t seen anything close to that kind of offer.    

Yeah Burnes was a very obvious trade candidate for a lot of reasons but since Milwaukee still wanted to compete this year they kept their intentions quiet. Advertising the trade chip might have scared away a vet like Hoskins. Skubal is an unlikely trade candidate but if Detroit can’t get a return for Flaherty because of his recent back injury, they might see Skubal as the only way to substantially fill their roster holes. 

33 minutes ago, Malike said:

If Burnes had 2.5 years of control left we'd still have Joey Ortiz and DL Hall and he'd be pitching somewhere else.

The Brewers were also in a completely different position than the Tigers and have been really competitive every year. The Tigers just don’t look like they’re very close to putting it all together. 

I recognize that we would be surrendering value (especially in Kjerstad who seems like a natural replacement for Santander at season's end). And I also recognize that some persons/posters will be unhappy if we have to trade any prospects of value (especially a bat who could be as good as Kjerstad).

However, what we are exchanging it for is Tarik Skubal who is one of the very best starting pitchers in the sport. Having a threesome of Burnes, Rodriguez, and Skubal puts us in a position to be prohibitive favorites this season AND it protects us in case we lose Burnes in the offseason.

While I am sure all O's fans (save for one) appreciate what Burnes has given us this season. He has been the best starter that we have had in decades and may even win the Cy Young. That is not something that should not be discounted when considering what his loss will mean to next year's team. Especially given the injury to Bradish. Burnes post every 5th day and gives you consistent length and quality. That is not easy to find or replace!

It may not be the wisest thing to retain him (after the season) at his age and at the projected cost. But it won't be a matter of signing a lesser or older pitcher (like Scherzer) to take his place. 

Now back to Skubal, it must be acknowledged that it is a risk to acquire ANY starting pitcher, given the frequency of injuries in the sport currently. But one must also ask, how many opportunities like this are we going to get going forward? We will most probably NEVER have a starting rotation with pitchers who are as good as Burnes AND Skubal AND Grayson TOGETHER!

IMO it has to be something that you seriously consider and don't outright dismiss. Gunnar is healthy and having an amazing season THIS YEAR. Santander is having a career year THIS YEAR. Adley is healthy and putting up his best numbers THIS YEAR. Westburg is healthy and will probably be an all-star THIS YEAR. Those things may not be true next year or in an undetermined future season.

As I have been reminded regularly the Braves and Dodgers (with all of their talent) have only one the big prize once (so far). This may be our year and Skubal may be the piece to put us over the top? 

Lastly, I think we have so much talent right now that even if we have to lose a promising bat like Heston Kjerstad, it will in no way mortgage or jeopardize our chances this season or next (and maybe going into the unknown projectable future). We have the #1 offense in the game as things stand now.

31 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Agree that Flaherty is the guy that they will want to trade, and someone will trade for him.  Probably not us, though.  

They cannot acquire the same level of promising offensive talent (that they will need) by trading Flaherty as they can with trading Skubal.

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They cannot acquire the same level of promising offensive talent (that they will need) by trading Flaherty as they can with trading Skubal.

Agreed, but Detroit's approach will depend on whether they are trying to win next year (when Skubal can still be their ace) or whether they see themselves in a long rebuild.  The White Sox correctly understand that they are in a long-term rebuild, so they are more willing to trade controllable assets like Crochet.  

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Kjerstad doesn't get you Skubal. Mayo and Kjerstad and a couple of more real prospects get you Skubal.

In the end I'm guessing DET wouldn't trade us Skubal without at least one of Westburg/Cowser/Holliday/Mayo/Basallo. They aren't desperate to trade him, so no need to deal him without a player they truly covet. I don't think Kjerstad can be the headliner here. I think the packages we are talking about would get Crochet though, but not Skubal.

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Agreed, but Detroit's approach will depend on whether they are trying to win next year (when Skubal can still be their ace) or whether they see themselves in a long rebuild.  The White Sox correctly understand that they are in a long-term rebuild, so they are more willing to trade controllable assets like Crochet.  

I'm not sure how familiar that you are with the Tigers' organization or their Major League talent pool, contracts, prospects, and total salaries. But when assessing those things, I struggle to conceive of a realistic way that they could convince themselves that things will be much better next year. In all reality they probably won't have Flaherty next year as things stands now and he has been one of their better/best starters.

Now you might use that as proof to say that is why they will keep Skubal. But with their offensive production and talent pool being as bad as it is right now, they are not realistically going to win/be seriously competitive "as is" next year and probably not for the duration of Skubal's 2 years beyond this one. All their best position player prospects are nowhere near MLB ready and are at single A.

Lastly, Jeff Greenberg just took over as GM last year. So he will likely be given time and will not be pressed into trying to win next year (given the dearth of offensive talent that they have).

Just now, emmett16 said:

Man.  Thats tempting.  Is there a reliever we have come back as well?  If so I think I’d be in.  W/o a solid reliever included I think I pass.  We’d still have holes to fill after that.  Who plays RF in 2024?

You wouldn't have to worry about passing, the Tigers wouldn't even take the phonecall lol.