Do we let Povich make his next start against the NYY?

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sometimes in the NFL, the most popular guy on the team is the backup quarterback.

Seems to be the same for starting pitchers, in a way.

The problem is the 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks have already gotten their chance.

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

We don’t even have 6 really good bullpen arms.  Having an extra bullpen arm that’s awful doesn’t comfort me.

The realistic goal is that we need to win game 1 and 3 of that series with Grayson and Burnes going. I’m not going to count us out in game 2 with Povich starting but we’re likely going to need Kimbrel, Cano, Webb, and Perez/Akin in the Games 1 and 3.

So whether it’s by design, or not, naturally we’ll use our other relievers in game 2. 

That’s big series. If we take 2/3 then they can’t catch us in H2H record. Thats huge when we’re talking about 105 wins needed to win the division. 

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The realistic goal is that we need to win game 1 and 3 of that series with Grayson and Burnes going. I’m not going to count us out in game 2 with Povich starting but we’re likely going to need Kimbrel, Cano, Webb, and Perez/Akin in the Games 1 and 3.

So whether it’s by design, or not, naturally we’ll use our other relievers in game 2. 

That’s big series. If we take 2/3 then they can’t catch us in H2H record. Thats huge when we’re talking about 105 wins needed to win the division. 

No way you need 105 wins to win the division.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

There’s a 90% chance Povich makes that start Thursday, but we could get creative. Kremer and Povich both have options. We could option them like we used to do with Chen/Miggy in 2013/2014 around the ASB. Idk if they wouldn’t be down the necessary time to make their scheduled starts as the 4th/5th SP out of the break. 

That could give us a 9 man pen for the Yankees series. 

Yes you could option those two, Povich yes but Kremer? you would lose him for at least one start post AS break, Plus do you really want to mess with Kremers ego, whisper numbers said that neither Miggy/Chen were happy about their demotions

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

No better alternatives.    Keep evaluating him until we get another starter.  If he gets annihilated again, send him down regardless.

Exactly what I think they should do with him . They also need see how he responds to bad start and how he adapts from it . I’m expecting him to rebound in his next start . Hopefully 

• Upvote 1

Knowing how Hyde and Elias operate, they'll just keep everything on turn. That's what happened last time when we played NY. I'd bump Burnes up a day, so he's lined up to pitch the last game of NY series. But knowing Hyde and Elias they won't do it. So all of this is a moot point.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well we aren’t but even if we were, that doesn’t mean that’s what is needed to win the division.

102 after a rough patch. We might get to replace Povich with someone like Scherzer/Kikuchi. Every loss kind of destroys that 105 win pace clip. Aka we’re really good and have been since Adley made his debut. 

Povich should be fresh after only throwing 41 terrible pitches yesterday so he'll most likely get the start. 

There is no true alternative in AAA to Povich since the next guy in line is McDermott and he got one out yesterday in his start against the Durham Bulls.

Bad starts happen. Let's see what Povich is made up of by seeing hiw he bounces back fro that disastrous start. 

Hopefully after the All-Star break Elias will make a move for a true impact starter and reliever.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Povich should be fresh after only throwing 41 terrible pitches yesterday so he'll most likely get the start. 

There is no true alternative in AAA to Povich since the next guy in line is McDermott and he got one out yesterday in his start against the Durham Bulls.

Bad starts happen. Let's see what Povich is made up of by seeing hiw he bounces back fro that disastrous start. 

Hopefully after the All-Star break Elias will make a move for a true impact starter and reliever.

Agreed. Forbearing a major trade, we don't have much of a choice but to let Povich make his next start. I doubt McDermott is going to be meaningfully better, and Povich was pretty good in his preceding four starts.

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good post Tony 👍🏻

2 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Knowing how Hyde and Elias operate, they'll just keep everything on turn. That's what happened last time when we played NY. I'd bump Burnes up a day, so he's lined up to pitch the last game of NY series. But knowing Hyde and Elias they won't do it. So all of this is a moot point.

You were correct. Roch just tweeted the announced rotation vs. the Cubs: Kremer, Burnes, Suarez.