O's Getting Hosed, All Star Reserves

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I certainly hope they don't need to psych themselves up over something like that.

I like to think that just getting swept out of the playoffs last season would be all the extra motivation they need.

Let the fans get butt hurt.

Of course it’s reasonable for a group of highly competitive individuals to see themselves as the 2nd place vote getter and after not getting confirmed by their peers want to really prove their worth.

IMO 3/4 of our positional group had a legitimate claim on an all star nod, when none of them get it, I would hope they are bummed. And the fans that wanted them there have every right to be as well.

Just now, survivedc said:

Of course it’s reasonable for a group of highly competitive individuals to see themselves as the 2nd place vote getter and after not getting confirmed by their peers want to really prove their worth.

IMO 3/4 of our positional group had a legitimate claim on an all star nod, when none of them get it, I would hope they are bummed. And the fans that wanted them there have every right to be as well.

Second place in the fan vote.

That doesn't mean they were actually the second most worthy.

I don't hardly think a professional athlete needs the motivation of not making an All Star game to try harder.

I can see it now, Westburg at the plate thinking to himself, I finished second in the fan vote and didn't make the All-star game, I'm going to show them!

Please.

Now do I expect them to be disappointed?  Sure.  That's normal.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think Kimbrel and Westburg were the two biggest snubs. 

Kevin Brown & Jim Palmer agreed with you during today's broadcast, and the guys on ESPN felt that Santander was actually the biggest snub of all.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

image.png.795c073fa325c232c45c18db1afc0178.png

Holmes over Kimbrel is ridiculous. Other than being a Yankee, Holmes has no case to be over Kimbrel. 

And one is a future Hall of Famer. Who would the average fan prefer to watch?

That pick makes no sense at all.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

And one is a future Hall of Famer. Who would the average fan prefer to watch?

That pick makes no sense at all.

It only makes sense is that he plays for the New York Yankees and they get more eyeballs on their players.  It is not right by any means but this has always been true in baseball.

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Second place in the fan vote.

That doesn't mean they were actually the second most worthy.

I don't hardly think a professional athlete needs the motivation of not making an All Star game to try harder.

I can see it now, Westburg at the plate thinking to himself, I finished second in the fan vote and didn't make the All-star game, I'm going to show them!

Please.

Now do I expect them to be disappointed?  Sure.  That's normal.

It’s an exhibition for the fans. It isn’t some kind of tournament, we have the WBC for that.

Not to be flippant here, but if you don’t think being snubbed motivates athletes, I don’t know what to tell you. Many of the all time greats talk about proving themselves as why they were able to achieve what they did. The bigger question to me is do any of the guys on our team have that edge? Just based on watching them, O’Hearn is the only guy that “plays angry.” Maybe Grayson.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, survivedc said:

It’s an exhibition for the fans. It isn’t some kind of tournament, we have the WBC for that.

Not to be flippant here, but if you don’t think being snubbed motivates athletes, I don’t know what to tell you. Many of the all time greats talk about proving themselves as why they were able to achieve what they did. The bigger question to me is do any of the guys on our team have that edge? Just based on watching them, O’Hearn is the only guy that “plays angry.” Maybe Grayson.

Gunnar plays angry.  You seen him chuck his bat?

Burnes doesn't look like he takes crap from anyone either.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, casadeozo said:

Oh why not just write Santander? 

You are correct, but this is the Internet, IIRC, and TBH, that’s how things are done. FWIW, everyone knows who GrayRod is even though nobody even asked him how he feels about it.

I think there is a better term than "angry" to describe some of the O's. Anger seldom results in anything positive. Now, playing with attitude is another thing. GH is certainly the "King" of attitude on this team, no one is going to beat him. I believe there are several position players that show attitude in different ways. Pitchers?? SP throw 90 or so pitches. They can't afford to display emotions or they would be worn out much earlier. They also can't afford to have the "deer in the headlights" look. Of the O's starters, I believe CP is in that world at present. It's mainly an experience and growth thing.  GR, IMO, has approved significantly in that department over the last year. 

Hopefully, Santander is Tuck’s replacement. He is worthy, and his hard work should be rewarded if there is room. 

Kimbrel would have been nice, but Clay Holmes, when rested and healthy, has much better stuff. I know the numbers are poor for him at the moment, but he is nasty. Kimbrel is a gutty vet who used to be incredibly tough. His selection this year would have been about his career and legacy. That is not a popular take on this board, so be it.

Westburg and Mountcastle can use the time off. Both are supposed to be fairly banged up at the moment. O’Hearn is just another guy I would have loved to see make it. A grinder, who exemplifies the blue collar fan base of Baltimore. A great story, but mostly a platoon guy.