Re-visiting Luzardo

Let's just be real, do we really want to trust Luzardo in a game 3 this season if the moon and stars aligned?  I'm not sure I do.  It sounds good, but then you start looking at the numbers.  I'm sort of at the point where I'd either want Scherzer or just let Suarez start game 3.  Maybe Kikuchi or Fedde.  We'll see what the next 3 weeks bring.  

I wonder if his value being down would be offset by the fact that we need pitching.

I'm not sure how this works, but I can easily see scenarios where Elias is being upcharged due to the fact that Wells, Means and Bradish are done for the season.

What’s the big problem if the Marlins hold onto him going into next season?   SG makes it sound like there is some urgency on their part like maybe they should get what they can now.   If this Bendix guy follows the Rays doctrine he’s going to get Luzardo healthy and go from there.  By that time the trade deadline will be over.   

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder if his value being down would be offset by the fact that we need pitching.

I'm not sure how this works, but I can easily see scenarios where Elias is being upcharged due to the fact that Wells, Means and Bradish are done for the season.

Does Elias seem like the type to pay an upcharge tax on a pitcher on the DL until mid August who then needs a rehab and might not even be a full go by mid September?

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, kinda doesn't make sense for either team. Trades like that don't usually happen :)

It makes perfect sense for the Os. We don’t need someone for the rest of July and early August. We need someone for October and preferably, a difference maker which Luzardo has the potential of being.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe so , its all part of the deal. would not be having this conversation if those guys were around plus What happens with Danny? With Povich looking bad and Irvin coming way down to earth, were working ourselves into big trouble.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Let's just be real, do we really want to trust Luzardo in a game 3 this season if the moon and stars aligned?  I'm not sure I do.  It sounds good, but then you start looking at the numbers.  I'm sort of at the point where I'd either want Scherzer or just let Suarez start game 3.  Maybe Kikuchi or Fedde.  We'll see what the next 3 weeks bring.  

If he’s pitching well and healthy, he’s better than all of those guys. It’s a high risk/high reward play for the Os.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It makes perfect sense for the Os. We don’t need someone for the rest of July and early August. We need someone for October and preferably, a difference maker which Luzardo has the potential of being.

Albert Suarez, God bless him, is our #4 starter currently.  Of course we need a starter, preferably sooner than later.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think if Elias could pull off a trade for him without giving up any of his very best assets, it’s a risk he would take because the upside is so strong. 

And of course, this assumes the medical are favorable but that should go without saying.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Wouldn't someone who is healthy now with no question marks or heightened risk make more sense?

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Does Elias seem like the type to pay an upcharge tax on a pitcher on the DL until mid August who then needs a rehab and might not even be a full go by mid September?

I didn't say Elias would agree to it.  I can just see teams (not necessarily the Marlins here, just anyone) coming to the negotiating table with him and upcharging because they see a contender that has some injury issues in the rotation. 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Wouldn't someone who is healthy now with no question marks or heightened risk make more sense?

Maybe?  It depends on who that pitcher is. 

The Os are going to coast to the playoffs and perhaps the division. The whole idea is to make your team as good as possible for the stretch run and into the playoffs. 

Fedde MAY (we have no idea if he will keep this up) be safer but do you feel comfortable with him starting game 3?

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If he’s pitching well and healthy, he’s better than all of those guys. It’s a high risk/high reward play for the Os.

Counting on Luzardo to be both healthy and pitching well is a big risk.  The trade package carries almost no risk at all.   The problem is that if Luzardo is the only starter acquired you have a much greater risk of losing the division.   The rotation is razor thin right now and Luzardo might not even be available until sometime in September and he wasn’t that great in April and May.

• Upvote 1

His fastball is way down, his strikeouts are awful. He's had 2 IL stints for his elbow and back. He's probably the riskiest proposition to even finish the season healthy let alone be effective.