Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

49 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I wouldn’t. Skubal is great but getting rid of an OF’er on pace for almost 5 WAR to get him isn’t worth it if the guys getting a lot of his AB’s (Hays and Mullins) have been replacement level the last year. You’re almost equally downgrading the position player group as much as you’re upgrading the pitching, while giving up 3 extra years of control between Cowser/Skubal, and also adding in a top 15 prospect and a guy who looks like like he can be a solid regular in the MLB. 

That’s the exchange of value.

3 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I mean Elias also has only made one trade of significance where he’s given up a prospect that was highly rated. I don’t think he’s asking for a kings ransom for Norby but we also don’t know that other teams haven’t wanted him either. We’ll see what happens in the next week.

I'll guarantee you Elias floated Norby instead of Ortiz and was told, nah, we're good with Ortiz. If Stowers or Norby had any trade value at all without being 3rd or 4th pieces, they would have been gone during the off-season. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Malike said:

I'll guarantee you Elias floated Norby instead of Ortiz and was told, nah, we're good with Ortiz. If Stowers or Norby had any trade value at all without being 3rd or 4th pieces, they would have been gone during the off-season. 

Well yeah. Ortiz was a better prospect than Norby and was the headliner in a trade for one of the best SP’s in the league. Norby can be valuable but not that valuable.

Elias has pretty much only traded for Burnes, Irvin, Flaherty, and Fujinami. Besides Ortiz, the best prospect he traded was Hernaiz. I’d say Norby is somewhere between those two in value. So maybe he helps get you a 3/4 starter or good reliever (depending on years of control left). 

45 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Well yeah. Ortiz was a better prospect than Norby and was the headliner in a trade for one of the best SP’s in the league. Norby can be valuable but not that valuable.

Elias has pretty much only traded for Burnes, Irvin, Flaherty, and Fujinami. Besides Ortiz, the best prospect he traded was Hernaiz. I’d say Norby is somewhere between those two in value. So maybe he helps get you a 3/4 starter or good reliever (depending on years of control left). 

So, are you suggesting that Elias is holding onto Norby? So like, the Marlins said hey Mike, we'll give you Tanner Scott for Conor Norby straight up and he said no, that's too much?

Norby is not headlining a deal, that is the reality of it, if he or Stowers could have brought back something to legit help the ML team, neither of them would still be in the organization.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

I think Norby has more value than Stowers but he’s not going to headline a deal for guys like Skubal or Crochet.  I think Norby could be a 2nd piece.

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

So, are you suggesting that Elias is holding onto Norby? So like, the Marlins said hey Mike, we'll give you Tanner Scott for Conor Norby straight up and he said no, that's too much?

Norby is not headlining a deal, that is the reality of it, if he or Stowers could have brought back something to legit help the ML team, neither of them would still be in the organization.

You’re trying to argue about something not relevant to my original point. Norby is not going to headline a deal for an ace and he very well may not be enough to get Scott, the best rental reliever on the market. But that wasn’t my argument in the first place. He can still have value, but not be valuable enough to get one of those guys. 

1 minute ago, LGOrioles said:

You’re trying to argue about something not relevant to my original point. Norby is not going to headline a deal for an ace and he very well may not be enough to get Scott, the best rental reliever on the market. But that wasn’t my argument in the first place. He can still have value, but not be valuable enough to get one of those guys. 

Why would a rock solid major league player not be enough to get a rental?

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think Norby has more value than Stowers but he’s not going to headline a deal for guys like Skubal or Crochet.  I think Norby could be a 2nd piece.

I agree, he will for sure have added value to a trade but he won't be the prize.

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

But that is the original point. If Norby had enough value to get an upgrade for the ML team, he would not be with the organization. He will be a lesser piece for a bigger name. Could Norby bring back a Fujinami type? Sure, but he's not helping the team.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would a rock solid major league player not be enough to get a rental?

I verbatim said he is “a guy who looks like like he can be a solid regular in the MLB”. 

Never said he is a rock solid major league player. You know that though. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzball22 said:

I have seen the abbreviation "AV" with a number after it so i assume it is some kind of rating. What is it and where can i find more information about it?

Likely AAV or Average Annual Value. (Dollars per year).

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

But that is the original point. If Norby had enough value to get an upgrade for the ML team, he would not be with the organization. He will be a lesser piece for a bigger name. Could Norby bring back a Fujinami type? Sure, but he's not helping the team.

That was not the original point. My point was that he does have value. Even if it is as a lesser piece for a bigger name like you said yourself, that means he has value. I never said he was headlining a deal for a bigger piece, I specifically said he wasn’t. So again, not sure what point you’re trying to argue because seems like we are pretty much on the same page. 

Edited by LGOrioles