2024 19th Round Pick (#579): Braylon Whitaker - OF - (HS) Cox Mill HS (NC)

Players can be signed for up to $150,000 without it affecting an organization's overall bonus pool.  For any bonus above that mark, the overage beyond $150,000 counts toward the pool.

26 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

4th and final high schooler drafted.  I wonder how many will sign.

At least two have pretty good hints out there that they will sign.  I will guess we get three and one gets away.  

20 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

At least two have pretty good hints out there that they will sign.  I will guess we get three and one gets away.  

Which two and what hints?

I’d be shocked if dj didn’t sign given his 6th round status and not being a really highly ranked guy who fell. I doubt we take someone that high we don’t know his number to buy out his commitment. 

you’d also think the 11th rounder is a decent chance to sign, and maybe the later guys are if you have money leftover or savings somewhere? 

edit - just saw your note in the other thread about George being in and the catcher maybe being a hard sign. So there’s my answer 

Edited by OsFanInOhio

A bit of a surprising pick. Cox Mills had a good year, (upset eventual 4A State Champs TC Roberson in early March) but lost to Charlotte Catholic in the 3rd round of the playoffs. Whitaker had a good season batting .500 (39 hits in 78 ABs) with a .619 OBP and hitting 2 HRs, 6 doubles  and 3 triples. 25/5 BB/K.

He's committed to Wingate University in NC. They are NCAA D2. 

PG has him as the 106th best player in NC and the 20th OF.  

• Upvote 1

Had the chance to be around Braylon the last two summers and its been a joy to watch him play.  Braylon has plus bat to ball skill, plus defender, high baseball IQ and even a better person.  Sure, like any 18 year old he will have some growing pains along the way, but he will surprise you and will make the Orioles fans happy.

• Upvote 2