Why classic All Star Game uniforms for players should NEVER be touched.

19 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I covered about 15 consecutive All Star games at ESPN. In some of the early years, the players wore the uniforms they played with and seeing those players take batting practice wearing those uniforms was glorious to watch.Over the years I got to see Joe DiMaggio wear a Yankees uniform...Willie Mays wear a Giants uniform, Henry Aaron wearing a Braves uniform. I felt like I was transformed  back in time. It gave me goosebumps. One ASG in Pittsburgh, I saw Brooks Robinson take batting practice wearing his Oriole uniform. I took this picture. I showed it to Brooks years later. He smiled and said, 'Roy, look at the smile on my face. I loved to wear that uniform and take batting practice wearing it." Then he said something that moved me. He said, wistfully, "Thats the LAST time I ever took batting practice wearing my uniform for the Orioles." I believe MLB lost its soul a  little bit when they went for those silly "Beer League" uniforms, and those ridiculous day-glo colors too. Baseball, for me, more than ANY other sport is about tradition and legacy. Those All Star uniforms we saw the other night were almost vulgar, and something close to an insult on the tradition and history of the game.Brooks Robinson is gone now, and so are many who PROUDLY wore those uniforms and made history wearing them.I feel honored that I got to take Brooks Robinson taking batting practice for the last time wearing that uniform. I hear baseball, next year will go back to the tradition using the standard (not those grotesque city connect) uniforms and it will re- acquaint the nation with the uniforms the way they SHOULD look in a classic exhibition.It's never too late to honor the game and the uniforms great players wore doing great things.I just wish baseball would have gotten the message about 10 years ago.

IMG_7419.jpeg

I agree with most of what you said.

But again....as a professional journalist....which you are....how do you not write in paragraphs so that people can actually read it without skipping over the post because it is just a mass of words jumbled together?

I honestly don't get it.   This is so basic.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I agree with most of what you said.

But again....as a professional journalist....which you are....how do you not write in paragraphs so that people can actually read it without skipping over the post because it is just a mass of words jumbled together?

I honestly don't get it.   This is so basic.

Because this isnt an English class it's  just a bunch of random thoughts.I dont know why this bothers you so much...I didn't realize I was being graded on punctuation when all I'm doing is giving my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Because this isnt an English class it's  just a bunch of random thoughts.I dont know why this bothers you so much...I didn't realize I was being graded on punctuation when all I'm doing is giving my opinion. 

Even I as a non journalist, but a writer in many stock and economic forums including stocktwits and the Motley fool....I know that if you write in complete sentences with proper grammar, punctuation and paragraphs?  As any sane and educated person should?

It makes the point of what you are trying to convey much more believable and legitimate.  Because people believe that you are educated.

The only people that I see writing 10000 sentences without paragraphs are literal insane people or the non educated.  Just ramblings of unemployed people.

I am not saying you are......but it is strange to me how you as a pro journalist...don't understand this. 

I am sure you have written many articles...and I am sure that you used or were told to use paragraphs.  So it is bizarre to me that you do not recognize this.

This website has a lot of educated people.  You don't need to dumb down for them.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Even I as a non journalist, but a writer in many stock and economic forums including stocktwits and the Motely fool....I know that if you write in complete sentences with proper grammar, punctuation and paragraphs?  As any sane and educated person should?

It makes the point of what you are trying to convey much more believable and legitimate.  Because people believe that you are educated.

The only people that I see writing 10000 sentences without paragraphs are literal insane people or the non educated.  Just ramblings of unemployed people.

I am not saying you are......but it is strange to me how you as a pro journalist...don't understand this. 

I am sure you have written many articles...and I am sure that you used or were told to use paragraphs.  So it is bizarre to me that you do not recognize this.

This website has a lot of educated people.  You don't need to dumb down for them.

I've said what I said. I owe you or anyone on this page nothing except respect to others.Best wishes to you.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Even I as a non journalist, but a writer in many stock and economic forums including stocktwits and the Motely fool....I know that if you write in complete sentences with proper grammar, punctuation and paragraphs?  As any sane and educated person should?

"Motely fool"?

Oh, and your use of ellipses is ... peculiar.

33 minutes ago, 24fps said:

"Motely fool"?

Oh, and your use of ellipses is ... peculiar.

Roy is a big Os fan and I applaud him for that.  

I said what I said as far as his writing while being A PROFESSIONAL JOURNALIST.  I stand by that.  I don't think it is anything controversial.  Just common sense.  If you want to white knight him?  Feel free. 

• Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Roy is a big Os fan and I applaud him for that.  

I said what I said as far as his writing while being A PROFESSIONAL JOURNALIST.  I stand by that.  I don't think it is anything controversial.  Just common sense.  If you want to white knight him?  Feel free. 

Look, I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me. I don't ask that ANYONE "White Knights" me. I enjoy this page because it is about the Orioles, the love of my sports life. I write impulsively at times, passionately most of the time, and perhaps at times, not up to you punctuation standards. But I will bow to no one in my love for this franchise and how I choose to express it. I don't really care that I get your approval. I do, however feel that your tone has been condescending and insulting. Enjoy your life, don't waste your time with red pencils correcting people's comments. It's simply not important nor worth it.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Look, I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me. I don't ask that ANYONE "White Knights" me. I enjoy this page because it is about the Orioles, the love of my sports life. I write impulsively at times, passionately most of the time, and perhaps at times, not up to you punctuation standards. But I will bow to no one in my love for this franchise and how I choose to express it. I don't really care that I get your approval. I do, however feel that your tone has been condescending and insulting. Enjoy your life, don't waste your time with red pencils correcting people's comments. It's simply not important nor worth it.

Fair enough.  You do you.  As I have always said. 

I just think it is strange and weakens your arguments.    Good luck with your 100 sentence paragraphs. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole