McDermott to start Wednesday?

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

So I guess McDermott is being considered instead of Povich? And if that is true, then Povich wasn’t adequate even as a fifth starter? 
If so, then this is why I don’t think Hancock would be a helpful pickup, nor Montas.

If we get a rotation pitcher, it has to be someone better than our current number three, because otherwise we are just making a more or less lateral move. Raising the floor is important, but a better 5th guy isn’t meaningful. A better THIRD guy is definitely meaningful.

Povich was sent down on 7/13 and cannot return until 7/28.   That’s why he’s not being called up now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It could be a matchup thing as well. The Marlins have the ability to run out 8 righties(w/ SH) and L Jazz Chisholm vs LHP. 

I do agree that this is a good time to get a chance to look at McDermott. Weak lineup. 

Marlins team OPS vs LH is .619, one of the worst in MLB.    They are .654 v RH.   So that doesn't really track to me.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's a lot to try and figure out on one start.  I hope that Elias doesn't rely on such small sample sizes.

I don’t think it’s the end all be all but rather a small data point.  It’s def not make or break one way or another.  

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Marlins team OPS vs LH is .619, one of the worst in MLB.    They are .654 v RH.   So that doesn't really track to me.

Thanks for pointing that out. I haven’t followed the Marlins this year. Just noticed the handedness of their team when checking their roster on roster resource. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 hours ago, vab said:

I would expect walks. 

Miami has the fewest walks in MLB, and by a sizable nargin: 222 to the Chisox' 264 (in two more games). The Orioles are 26th in walks with 274.

I'm guessing Elias thought this was an ideal situation for McDermott: one of MLB's weakest hitting, lowest scoring, least powerful teams that doesn't take walks. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Povich was sent down on 7/13 and cannot return until 7/28.   That’s why he’s not being called up now.  

Bingo. Good call. Povich can’t come back till 7/28 so having McDermott start was the plan. 

Even after assuming we acquire a SP, Kremer is our #4. We still need some combo of Suarez, Povich, and McDermott, to be a 5th SP, to win the division. 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Norfolk got cancelled last night when I believe he was scheduled to pitch, which would have laid him up perfectly for the Toronto doubleheader Monday.     I guess he'll still throw short today, even if it is not SIGBOT optimized days of rest.

Monday 7/29 he can be the doubleheader extra guy, and then by the night of Tuesday 7/30 the staff could be anything.

One fork in the road could be just letting McDermott and Povich go, which would feel better if Elias wins the Miami bidding for the very top relievers.    Kjerstad for Scott and Puk both?

Back on McDermott, for all that he like many players is getting showcased, it is also the great moment of joy that is a major league debut, and he's a promising talent.     Today his odds of being the 2024 Orioles game 3 starter in the playoffs are higher than Yusei Kikuchi, Erick Fedde or anyone not already an Oriole.

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Norfolk got cancelled last night when I believe he was scheduled to pitch, which would have laid him up perfectly for the Toronto doubleheader Monday.     I guess he'll still throw short today, even if it is not SIGBOT optimized days of rest.

Monday 7/29 he can be the doubleheader extra guy, and then by the night of Tuesday 7/30 the staff could be anything.

One fork in the road could be just letting McDermott and Povich go, which would feel better if Elias wins the Miami bidding for the very top relievers.    Kjerstad for Scott and Puk both?

Back on McDermott, for all that he like many players is getting showcased, it is also the great moment of joy that is a major league debut, and he's a promising talent.     Today his odds of being the 2024 Orioles game 3 starter in the playoffs are higher than Yusei Kikuchi, Erick Fedde or anyone not already an Oriole.

Pitching today would still have Povich on normal 4 days rest going into Monday.

3 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Pitching today would still have Povich on normal 4 days rest going into Monday.

True.    I think 5 is the new normal though.

Today's Games Started MLB co-leader Jose Berrios is 9 over 21 four days rest.     Corbin Burnes fresh out of the All-Star break is not being used tonight on four days rest.

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

True.    I think 5 is the new normal though.

Today's Games Started MLB co-leader Jose Berrios is 9 over 21 four days rest.     Corbin Burnes fresh out of the All-Star break is not being used tonight on four days rest.

Yea you are probably right on how it usually shakes out, but at least it wouldnt be "short rest" by definition.