Gunnar has the yips. Its in his head now.

Gurgi

7 minutes ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

It looks like he's almost avoiding planting his foot and squaring up before he throws.  There's a lot of leaping and throwing while turning.  Maybe his positioning is off.

Sometimes it’s best to take a little more time, plant, and throw a laser.  Sometimes it’s best to get rid of it ASAP.  He still figuring things out.  It will come with experience.  He just tuned 23.  

Edited by emmett16

2 minutes ago, now said:

Meanwhile the infielder shining lately (besides his own opening yip) is... Connor Norby!

Go figure. Baseball is a funny game.

Shame that he strikes out so much. I guess we can't have it both ways. 28% SO in the MiL and they seem to know the recipe up here.

7 minutes ago, yark14 said:

He's pressing.  You can't ignore that most of these throwing errors are on plays that few players in the league even get to the ball.  He's playing aggressive as hell, which has nothing to do with the yips.

This.  He will mature. 

15 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He made a super heads up play flopping on the base runners interference play.  Smart tomato the fake as he had no chance.

The high hopper he missed he played well.  Tough play and even if he gloves it likely doesn’t get the runner.

The ball lodged in fence was juts bad luck.  Shouldn’t have been an error.  And you try and make that play all day with a 3 run lead. 

The overthrow was an ill-advised throw, should have put it in his pocket. 

The pop up to CF was a brilliant play. 

The play early in game throwing “on the roll” was incredible.

All in all, nothing to see.  He’s still 23 and figuring up what he can & can’t so.  He’s also figuring out when to go all end or eat it. 

To say he has the  “yips” is laughable. 

Last year he was 22, and didn’t have a stretch that looked like this one all season.

However I just checked his OAA at Baseball Savant and this year at SS he is 4 OAA and last year he was 0 OAA. So unless I’m reading the stats incorrectly, he’s actually better on defense than he was last year, possibly because his range is allowing him to get to balls this year that he missed last season, and then fumbling them or throwing them away.

So maybe the bad looking defense is just increased range?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Last year he was 22, and didn’t have a stretch that looked like this one all season.

However I just checked his OAA at Baseball Savant and this year at SS he is 4 OAA and last year he was 0 OAA. So unless I’m reading the stats incorrectly, he’s actually better on defense than he was last year, possibly because his range is allowing him to get to balls this year that he missed last season, and then fumbling them or throwing them away.

So maybe the bad looking defense is just increased range?

His OAA has gone down over the season. It was higher in June.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I missed the game today.  Can someone explain what occurred at 2nd base today on that Padres slide?  It seemed to be dangerous from the one blurry vid I saw.

I was at the game.   And I can't explain it to you.

Did the ump announce any reasoning?   As soon as he said the word overturned everyone was booing and making noise so if he continued the seentence and said anything explanatory, we couldn't hear it over the fantastic Oriole Park sound system.

4 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I missed the game today.  Can someone explain what occurred at 2nd base today on that Padres slide?  It seemed to be dangerous for Gunnar from the one blurry vid I saw.

It was nothing, the guy slid into 2nd and Gunnar didn't move and his foot clipped Gunnars and he flopped trying to get the interference call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Gunnar does not have the yips. He's trying to make insane plays and just needs to learn when to stick it in his pocket.

Did he not do this on the interference play? There was a part of me that thought he may still throw it. And I wonder if he pulled it back because if he missed it, it would have been not good, perhaps showing a little restraint. 

Edited by Grt 2BA FL Gator

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Gunnar needs to stop making every throw on the run. He needs to plant his feet.

This. And not rush his throws trying to get speedy runners out like the one error he had today. Throwing completely off balance because it's a fast runner might get the occasional web gem play, but it will lead to more errors like the one today.

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I was at the game.   And I can't explain it to you.

Did the ump announce any reasoning?   As soon as he said the word overturned everyone was booing and making noise so if he continued the seentence and said anything explanatory, we couldn't hear it over the fantastic Oriole Park sound system.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

It was nothing, the guy slid into 2nd and Gunnar didn't move and his foot clipped Gunnars and he flopped trying to get the interference call.

Thanks.