Zach Eflin 2024

Sanfran327

I don't know if it will keep going like this with Eflin, but if it does , I know this...if Grod can return to something close to form and we go with Burnes, Eflin, and Grod or flip that...this could be a very dangerous pitching rotation for the playoffs...add Coulombe and Westburg in the lineup and we get back the pieces we need to play well in the post season. Of course, those are all, BIG IF's...but it it goes that way, we could be very formidable.

Edited by Roy Firestone

I'll show my age. I see Eflin's early picture in a Phillies uniform and watch him pitch and think back - way back to another ex Phillie we picked up named Robin Roberts. Both had/ have walk rates under 2 per nine. Both were really fun to watch to pitch. Elias gets a plus for this one. And, I love the memories.

• Upvote 1

Would love an explanation why He was taken out at 87 pitches with that performance. It’s not like we have a shutdown bullpen and sure enough Soto looked shaky right away.

at minimum he should have been brought out for the 7th until he puts on a runner or starts to labor.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Would love an explanation why He was taken out at 87 pitches with that performance. It’s not like we have a shutdown bullpen and sure enough Soto looked shaky right away.

at minimum he should have been brought out for the 7th until he puts on a runner or starts to labor.

Hyde mentioned why in post game presser.  He didn’t want to push him 12 more pitches  and pull him with bases juiced.  But then Soto made it happen anyway 🙃.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Hyde mentioned why in post game presser.  He didn’t want to push him 12 more pitches  and pull him with bases juiced.  But then Soto made it happen anyway 🙃.

What a stupid rationale. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Ya I just watched it. Kind of a nonsense answer if you ask me. Pitchers like Eflin that pound the zone and don’t walk batters are meant to eat innings. 

it’s been said a lot but his bullpen overuse is pretty bad.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

I'll show my age. I see Eflin's early picture in a Phillies uniform and watch him pitch and think back - way back to another ex Phillie we picked up named Robin Roberts. Both had/ have walk rates under 2 per nine. Both were really fun to watch to pitch. Elias gets a plus for this one. And, I love the memories.

There’s not too many O’s fans here who remember the pre-1966 Orioles.  Palmer tells stories of rooming with Roberts as a rookie and how much he learned from him.  I never had the pleasure of seeing him pitch.  

6 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Ya I just watched it. Kind of a nonsense answer if you ask me. Pitchers like Eflin that pound the zone and don’t walk batters are meant to eat innings. 

it’s been said a lot but his bullpen overuse is pretty bad.

It will eventually get him fired....terrible decision last night.

13 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

It will eventually get him fired....terrible decision last night.

I think that was a long-term decision, not a one-game decision.  He’s got a lot of innings to throw down the stretch and hopefully into the postseason. Saving an inning here and there is helpful.   He’s on pace to throw about 180 innings, which would be a career high.