It feels like the dark years again checking the minor league box scores

bpilktree67

With the Orioles playing early decided to check through the minor league box scores but that was rough, there isn’t much to check on anymore.  Mayo, Sammy, EBJ and that about it.  Few other mid guys but they are not playing great like Fabian, Beavers, and some lower international guys who have struggled this year.  

Hmmm, I don’t remember two prospects like Mayo and Basallo sitting around our farm system back in the “dark days.”   Nor do I remember home-grown players 26 and under like Rutschman, Cowser, Kjerstad, Westburg, Holliday snd GRod populating our major league roster  

Of Tony’s top 30 to begin the year, Holliday (1),  Kjerstad (4), and Cowser (5) are on the major league team.  Ortiz (6), Horvath (10), Norby (11), Baumeister (16) Johnson (18) and Etzel (28) have been dealt in trades.   That still leaves us with 5 of our former top 10, 12 of our former top 20, 21 of our former top 30 still down in the minors.   That’s plenty of talent, not to mention the class we just drafted, some of whom I expect will debut in the minors during August.

Maybe “dark years” isn’t the perfect description but I get what the OP is getting at. I looked at the Norfolk lineup card posted on twitter yesterday and kind of did a double take. It wasn’t long ago that lineup looked like a mini MLB club and yesterday I think Mayo was the only big name on there. 
I am not complaining, I just want the O’s to win.

19 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Maybe “dark years” isn’t the perfect description but I get what the OP is getting at. I looked at the Norfolk lineup card posted on twitter yesterday and kind of did a double take. It wasn’t long ago that lineup looked like a mini MLB club and yesterday I think Mayo was the only big name on there. 
I am not complaining, I just want the O’s to win.

I'd also like to see these teams win a little more than they are now.  I realize that the minors are for development, but I'd like to see a winning atmosphere.   There's only one team in the Orioles MiL system with a winning record (Aberdeen).  

Yeah, "dark years" is definitely a bit of hyperbole - we're not at the point where someone like Radhammes Liz is a top prospect.  

I think we've gotten a bit spoiled in recent years though.  There's a big gulf between the best system in the league and the worst.  I suspect we'll be somewhere in the middle for a bit.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, "dark years" is definitely a bit of hyperbole - we're not at the point where someone like Radhammes Liz is a top prospect.  

I think we've gotten a bit spoiled in recent years though.  There's a big gulf between the best system in the league and the worst.  I suspect we'll be somewhere in the middle for a bit.

We don’t need to have a top farm system right now.  Just one that produces a few nuggets here and there.  

• Like 1