I liked our offensive approach in the Toronto series

Frobby

Undoubtedly we were helped by Toronto’s atrocious pitching staff, but I really liked the Orioles’ approach in that series.  Tons of walks and long, patient at bats, and good situational hitting.   In the first game of the series they had 6 RBI on non-hits (2 sac flies, 2 ground outs, and a walk and HBP with the bases loaded).   Overall, a much better team approach than we saw during a lot of July.  Of course, the 8 dingers didn’t hurt either!  Cleveland will be a much tougher test but I hope they can keep the approach going.   

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Undoubtedly we were helped by Toronto’s atrocious pitching staff, but I really liked the Orioles’ approach in that series.  Tons of walks and long, patient at bats, and good situational hitting.   In the first game of the series they had 6 RBI on non-hits (2 sac flies, 2 ground outs, and a walk and HBP with the bases loaded).   Overall, a much better team approach than we saw during a lot of July.  Of course, the 8 dingers didn’t hurt either!  Cleveland will be a much tougher test but I hope they can keep the approach going.   

I agree with your statement about Cleveland being a tougher test for O’s . I only wish Westy and Mateo haven’t got injured . 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

The Gorilla of the deadline is off our backs. Holliday’s own monkey is off his back with that grand slam. Cowser is getting a little boost in a more important role hitting leadoff. Rising to the occasion. 

Let’s score some runs. Clev gives us fits. 

• Upvote 1

Since the All Star Break, Orioles Batters have the highest walk rate in the league at 11.6% (compared to 7.7% and 22nd overall for the entire season).

Definitely a small sample size, but it'll be interesting to see if that trend continues through the rest of the season considering the team wide approach to start the year. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Conway12 said:

Since the All Star Break, Orioles Batters have the highest walk rate in the league at 11.6% (compared to 7.7% and 22nd overall for the entire season).

Definitely a small sample size, but it'll be interesting to see if that trend continues through the rest of the season considering the team wide approach to start the year. 

In the early part of the season it seemed to me that they were capitalizing on their patient image and jumping on early pitches in the zone... and at the time I said that if that was the case maybe their image would shift back and they could start being more patient later in the year since they showed us last year that they could. Obviously, getting on base leads to runs so I'll take the free passes and happily dial back the early-in-the-count aggression.

Yeah the improved approach at the plate was noticeable.  Guys weren’t pressing.  Cowser and Mullins in particular looked different, not just the hits but also approach leading to more walks.  Santander too seemed far more patient as well. 

Edited by Say O!

I think a few guys are more or less on record with describing the organizational hitting philosophy to be "wait for one you can do some damage with". We took a "you hang 'em, we bang 'em" approach to the Toronto staff, and they obliged. Holliday's GS was a nice, juicy meatball, made worse by being a 2 strike pitch, thigh high on the inner half. Cowser tends to wallop the meatballs as well. Not a jab a those guys, they're showing us that they can do what they're supposed to do to bad pitches.

Hopefully we can continue the patience through the weekend. Four game series are extremely long, and this is a big one. No matter what happens in Cleveland, I think we'll be recovering a bit afterwards. Thankfully, we have a soft spot with 8 games vs TOR, TB, and WAS on the horizon. 

• Upvote 1