Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

The main disappointment to me is we traded two good trade chips for a pitcher that seemingly would be unlikely to be a guy we'd want starting in a playoff game. That to me is always the first test for a starter. Would you want him starting a playoff game? Right now, I'd rather Dean Kremer as the #4 in a playoff series honestly. 

6 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Reason and logic only confuses some on the Hangout 

I agree with this, and therefore conclude that there is no place for it here. 🙂  Let overreactors overreact.

On the other hand, I found myself wondering last night if Trevor Rogers was Cole Irvin 2.0.

10 minutes ago, G54377 said:

The main disappointment to me is we traded two good trade chips for a pitcher that seemingly would be unlikely to be a guy we'd want starting in a playoff game. That to me is always the first test for a starter. Would you want him starting a playoff game? Right now, I'd rather Dean Kremer as the #4 in a playoff series honestly. 

Agree and that is why imo it would have been better off, IF you wanted to trade a Norby and Stowers, to keep those 2 the rest of the year and trade them in the off season or use them in a package this past week with a JH a SB or a CM to get a true difference maker elite pitcher.  Someone who can help in the playoffs.  Because in the immortal words or HRC..."what difference does it make"?

To  me this really feels like they just gave those 2 players away for someone like Rogers that you can get almost anywhere.  It doesn't make sense to me why Elias did this move.  Not for Rogers anyway, 

9 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

On the other hand, I found myself wondering last night if Trevor Rogers was Cole Irvin 2.0.

This year, Rogers has pretty much been Cole Irvin 2.0. Irvin is good at not walking anybody but nothing else. Rogers walks more but also strikes out more. Both have subpar stuff and have given up tons of hard contact. I’m not really expecting anything else in the short term. But unlike Irvin, there’s potential for something more:

-The velo and performance prior to his injuries was really good. 
-Even though his velo is well below average now, he still has good spin rate on his fastball and good extension. 
-He’s got one plus pitch - his changeup - which is more than Irvin has. Other than the fastball, that’s probably the most valuable pitch for a plus offering as a lefty starter. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Agree and that is why imo it would have been better off, IF you wanted to trade a Norby and Stowers, to keep those 2 the rest of the year and trade them in the off season or use them in a package this past week with a JH a SB or a CM to get a true difference maker elite pitcher.  Someone who can help in the playoffs.  Because in the immortal words or HRC..."what difference does it make"?

To  me this really feels like they just gave those 2 players away for someone like Rogers that you can get almost anywhere.  It doesn't make sense to me why Elias did this move.  Not for Rogers anyway, 

Stowers and Norby really should have been traded last offseason. 

• Upvote 1

How can anybody think this was a good trade. Rogers has a 4.76 ERA. 109 innings pitched give up 121 hits with 88K's. This is a guy that will take us to the playoffs. Last night he would have two quick outs then start walking guys and giving up hits. two innings later did the same thing. I know it's only one game. I think we all are willing to give the man a chance. That wouldn't be a problem if we were 20 games under 500. We're in a fight for the division title. Can't wait till his next start so he can prove us wrong.

Edited by mrbig1

This is the one trade that I really disagreed when it happened....  this move could have happened in the off-season when the prospect capital to acquire him would have been lower than at the trade deadline. I felt that Norby and Stowers would have been much better used in a trade for a better reliever. I felt that keeping Irvin would have been fine as since 2021 Rogers is the same pitcher as Irvin

Urias' best Matador impersonation cost him 3 runs and ~20 pitches.  If Urias makes that play I think his debut looks a lot different.  Not saying he was fantastic nor am I saying fielding a 103mp ball is easy, but that was the play that let the flood gates open.  That was out #3 in the bottom of the 3rd after two quick outs.  He went on to labor in that inning and turned the lineup over.  My takeaway was he has the pitches to perform but will need to have incredible command.  He had it for spurts last night.  You could see the good, but you could also see that when he makes mistakes, they are likely to get hammered.  A good bit of hard contact. 

Edited by emmett16

1 hour ago, mrbig1 said:

How can anybody think this was a good trade. Rogers has a 4.76 ERA. 109 innings pitched give up 121 hits with 88K's. This is a guy that will take us to the playoffs. Last night he would have two quick outs then start walking guys and giving up hits. two innings later did the same thing. I know it's only one game. I think we all are willing to give the man a chance. That wouldn't be a problem if we were 20 games under 500. We're in a fight for the division title. Can't wait till his next start so he can prove us wrong.

I think people (deservedly) want to give Elias the benefit of the doubt. 

The fact is though, nothing about this trade makes a lick of sense. Rogers is not good. Elias deserves criticism for this. The Eflin trade was much better.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbig1 said:

Here are the issues with Rogers:

• 1.528 WHIP - a lot of baserunners, a lot of contact on a team that has been struggling mightily with defense for over a month now. And now Mayo is going to be in the field.
  • His statcast numbers are abysmal. About the only thing he does well is get grounders. 
  • We aren't talking about a small sample size with his poor numbers. This has been the case in 2022 and is the case in 2024. In 2023 he was hurt. Velocity is down. Strikeout rate is down.
  • None of his pitches are plus pitches. They all have negative run value.
  • Elias overpaid. And I think he let control get the best of him. 
  • He's not an innings eater. He averages 5. Guess who also averaged nearly 5 per start? Suarez.

I'm really trying to think why Elias targeted Rogers and the only thing that makes sense was desperation and control. I had a list of starters to target and he wasn't even on it. He would have been last on the list if I included him, and it's not particularly close. 

You simply just don't give up a #5 prospect and a MLB ready, former prospect for a guy like Rogers unless you're desperate and/or think that he's fixable past this year. And my problem is none of those markedly moves the needle for the O's *this year*. 

If you're hanging your hat on Rogers being good the last 9 starts or so, well...Irvin was good for a very similar period. 

I don't know. I hated the trade. There were better options that didn't need to be Skubal. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Here are the issues with Rogers:

• 1.528 WHIP - a lot of baserunners, a lot of contact on a team that has been struggling mightily with defense for over a month now. And now Mayo is going to be in the field.
  • His statcast numbers are abysmal. About the only thing he does well is get grounders. 
  • We aren't talking about a small sample size with his poor numbers. This has been the case in 2022 and is the case in 2024. In 2023 he was hurt. Velocity is down. Strikeout rate is down.
  • None of his pitches are plus pitches. They all have negative run value.
  • Elias overpaid. And I think he let control get the best of him. 
  • He's not an innings eater. He averages 5. Guess who also averaged nearly 5 per start? Suarez.

I'm really trying to think why Elias targeted Rogers and the only thing that makes sense was desperation and control. I had a list of starters to target and he wasn't even on it. He would have been last on the list if I included him, and it's not particularly close. 

You simply just don't give up a #5 prospect and a MLB ready, former prospect for a guy like Rogers unless you're desperate and/or think that he's fixable past this year. And my problem is none of those markedly moves the needle for the O's *this year*. 

If you're hanging your hat on Rogers being good the last 9 starts or so, well...Irvin was good for a very similar period. 

I don't know. I hated the trade. There were better options that didn't need to be Skubal. 

More infuriating considering what the White Sox got for Fedde. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, dystopia said:

More infuriating considering what the White Sox got for Fedde. 

He was the guy I hoped they would gotten . My question is, was Elias not interested in him ? Or WSox didn’t like Norby/Stowers  offer ?

Nick Pollack's daily rundown over at Pitcher List avoided the technical, basically just saying when you are meeting your new teammates on a Thursday in Cleveland, the coaches might give you a minute to get to know Grayson Rodriguez, Adley Rutschman, etc.