Trevor Rogers 2024

Just Regular

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

You don’t trade for a guy that might be good next year when you need help now. Yeah, the O’s needed somebody better than Povich (now). Rogers ain’t it. There were better guys available. Fedde, Kikuchi, etc.

Too many projects. If you’re gonna get a project for the short term, you better be damn sure. Look at the Dodgers are doing with Kopech.

Tinkering with one of your projected top four starting pitchers in August isn't the path to postseason success. Would have rather seen Elias get a plug and play starting pitcher instead of yet another imperfect arm.

If Elias likes Rogers as a potential starter next year who needs some work then fine, but this pitching staff is running on fumes and Suarez is saving the starting rotation from going into complete free fall.

7 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

You don’t trade for a guy that might be good next year when you need help now. Yeah, the O’s needed somebody better than Povich (now). Rogers ain’t it. There were better guys available. Fedde, Kikuchi, etc.

Too many projects. If you’re gonna get a project for the short term, you better be damn sure. Look at the Dodgers are doing with Kopech.

The point is Rogers was pretty good in June and July.  That's why Elias pulled the trigger.  But it didn't work out, and we lost Norby who could have been a good a piece in a better trade and helping us now.  It was an iffy gamble that didn't work out -- at least not for this season. 

I'm curious what his other options were, though I suspect he would have had to trade Norby to get a better rental like Flaherty or Scott.  But with all the remonstrations about this trade it remains the biggest weaknesses on the team at the moment are still the bullpen and, suddenly, the hitting.

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Tinkering with one of your projected top four starting pitchers in August isn't the path to postseason success. Would have rather seen Elias get a plug and play starting pitcher instead of yet another imperfect arm.

If Elias likes Rogers as a potential starter next year who needs some work then fine, but this pitching staff is running on fumes and Suarez is saving the starting rotation from going into complete free fall.

Bingo. He did damn fine with Eflin. And he got a jump start against other teams. Yeah, he paid a pretty penny, but it wasn’t a gross overpay. Rogers might have 2 years left, but his peripherals are terrible, the velocity is gone, and his Statcast numbers are atrocious. We aren’t GMs and we all saw how bad it looked. I’m really hoping against hope that Elias and team didn’t just see a very small sample size of decent starts from Rogers and be like, “Yup, he’s back!” Because whew…not great.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Bingo. He did damn fine with Eflin. And he got a jump start against other teams. Yeah, he paid a pretty penny, but it wasn’t a gross overpay. Rogers might have 2 years left, but his peripherals are terrible, the velocity is gone, and his Statcast numbers are atrocious. We aren’t GMs and we all saw how bad it looked. I’m really hoping against hope that Elias and team didn’t just see a very small sample size of decent starts from Rogers and be like, “Yup, he’s back!” Because whew…not great.

I wonder if Elias really did think he had a shot at Skubal or some other higher profile, youngish arm close to the end of the deadline.  But it's really time to put this behind us and move on.

10 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

The point is Rogers was pretty good in June and July.  That's why Elias pulled the trigger.

This was always the problem for me.

He had a nice ERA over his last 11 starts (3.32). But the peripherals still stunk, with a 4.48 FIP and a 4.75 xFIP. This is a guy that any marginally savvy fantasy player wouldn’t have touched, based on that fact — the profile was basically screaming “regression is coming,” especially when you add in that he hadn’t been good since 2021 and that the big glaring issue (diminished velocity) was still very much alive and concerning.

Any belief that this guy was going to step in and contribute to a good team just seemed badly misplaced, even at the time. I can only imagine they believe they can get him in the lab and rebuild him — but the Eflin injury immediately threw a big glaring spotlight on the problem with making a deadline deal for a guy who can’t pitch well right now. 

I’m a big fan of Elias and thought that the deadline overall was still a good one. But trading what he did for Soto, and trading anything of value for Rogers, always struck me as head-scratching moves. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

He had a nice ERA over his last 11 starts (3.32). But the peripherals still stunk, with a 4.48 FIP and a 4.75 xFIP. This is a guy that any marginally savvy fantasy player wouldn’t have touched, based on that fact — the profile was basically screaming “regression is coming,” especially when you add in that he hadn’t been good since 2021 and that the big glaring issue (diminished velocity) was still very much alive and concerning.

Any belief that this guy was going to step in and contribute to a good team just seemed badly misplaced, even at the time. I can only imagine they believe they can get him in the lab and rebuild him — but the Eflin injury immediately threw a big glaring spotlight on the problem with making a deadline deal for a guy who can’t pitch well right now. 

I’m a big fan of Elias and thought that the deadline overall was still a good one. But trading what he did for Soto, and trading anything of value for Rogers, always struck me as head-scratching moves. 

I agree with pretty much everything you say, though I'm trying to maintain the confidence I had in Elias prior to the season.  I did not like the way he just went out and signed Kimbrel and did really nothing else for the bullpen prior to the season.  

34 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Seems like Rogers is the pitching equivalent of the Gerardo Parra trade in 2015 for now at least. Parra was having a career season outside his usual production and whatever he had going immediately stopped after getting traded from the Brewers. On top of that Parra had issues playing defense in RF at OPACY.

The Orioles gave up Zach Davies who wasn't great, but had a solid run as a starting pitcher for the Brewers. Hopefully the Orioles can fix Rogers since he's going to be on the team next year and we won't look back with regret seeing Norby (and maybe Stowers) be a vital part of the Marlins the next 5+ years.

Sometimes us sitting at the end of the bar fans as John Harbaugh calls us gets some right over the professionals. I say 90 percent of the board was like me and said WTF is Elias doing making this trade. Elias sometimes makes moves that are total head scratchers to me 

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Seems like Rogers is the pitching equivalent of the Gerardo Parra trade in 2015 for now at least. Parra was having a career season outside his usual production and whatever he had going immediately stopped after getting traded from the Brewers. On top of that Parra had issues playing defense in RF at OPACY.

The Orioles gave up Zach Davies who wasn't great, but had a solid run as a starting pitcher for the Brewers. Hopefully the Orioles can fix Rogers since he's going to be on the team next year and we won't look back with regret seeing Norby (and maybe Stowers) be a vital part of the Marlins the next 5+ years.

If he continues to pitch as poorly as has I just assume DFA him than to keep running him out there. Do I think that would happen of course not but this guy stinks and is blowing out the BP.  Man Zi hated to see Norby go in this dumb deal. 

31 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Parra was a rental. Completely different type of trade.

I was trying to remember who Rogers reminded me of and it’s the 2009-10 version of Oliver Perez who was absolutely horrendous during that period for the Mets.

Elias got fleeced buying a pump and dump thinking there were actual fundamentals in play and now he’s stuck with the Fisker.

The Rogers trade is an example of having to try and replace Gibson at the deadline instead of just paying the FA dollars last offseason. Irvin was the Lyles replacement previously. 

Hopefully, we have an owner now where we can afford to buy some FA pitching in the offseason, and trade for better quality. 

The extra wild cards though have driven up the price of pitching a lot. I think Elias was hoping that Irvin and Rogers would be at least regular season rotation options that could just get us through 162, and not really be considered playoff options. 

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

How does the option affect his service time? If he stays down 15+ days - does he not get credit for the season?

According to cot's he had 3 years and 94 days at the beginning of the year.  I believe this was the first time he was optioned this year, so even if he stays in the minors the rest of the year, he'll have way more days than needed for his 4th year of service time.