Elias out smarts O'Dowd and DeRosa

wildcard

2 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

I know it's semantics but "do right by him" means they were doing it for the benefit of the player.  There is no way the Orioles would trade a player to a potential World Series opponent simply to make the player happy.

We made this trade because Hays was unhappy and it sounds like that was causing an issue in the clubhouse.  The Orioles traded him for the benefit of the Orioles. 

I think besides the clubhouse benefits, they became a better team with the trade. Dominguez immediately has the best stuff in their pen and is a backend guy for the O’s, a much bigger need than a platoon RHH OF.

Also, Hays was worth 6.5 WAR in 1811 PA’s from 2020-2023. Slater was worth 5.3 WAR in 942 PA’s in the same timeframe. Hays is typically better against RHP’s, but they arguably got an even better version of Hays as their platoon RHH OF’er for much cheaper as well. Potential clubhouse issues aside, Slater + Dominguez >>>> Hays in terms of value to the team. 

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If anyone ever talked about a bad team having good chemistry, I might be more inclined to take it seriously. But all you ever hear is how good teams have great chemistry, which suggests to me that chemistry is more a byproduct of winning than a cause.

This 100x.  Chemistry is vastly overrated.  Like Angelos opinion of Chris Davis type overrated.  For the most part (I freely admit to a random exception now and then of true clubhouse cancers) winning cures all ills.  If the team is playing bad,  the mood and 'chemistry' suffers while when winning the mood and chemistry improves.  We can argue which came first I suppose, but I largely hold to winning makes everything better while losing brings out the issues.   I never have and never will buy into the idea that a guy can hit the ball better because he likes the guys he's playing with, or that since you don't like the guy on 3rd you didn't drive him in but if it had been your BFF you'd have gotten that RBI.

Sure,  we all like a pleasant work atmosphere versus a terrible one,  but I don't believe it largely impacts athletes performance.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Yeah, that is a dumb take. O'Hearn has understood from the beginning that he can't hit lefties and needs a platoon partner. Mullins has played with a RHB backup throughout his career as well as already losing AB's to Cowser. I expect both guys to handle the new teammates like pros. If I was to worry about anyone it would be Mountcastle who was already part of the DH platoon. Eloy is the more direct threat to him.

So last year his OPS vs RH vs LH was nearly identical. In 2022 he was around .80 points worse LH accept his numbers were equally mediocre he’s .240 points worse but only has 30 ABs…so a sample size. I’m not sure he understands he needs a platoon partner, just more at bats.

38 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So last year his OPS vs RH vs LH was nearly identical. In 2022 he was around .80 points worse LH accept his numbers were equally mediocre he’s .240 points worse but only has 30 ABs…so a sample size. I’m not sure he understands he needs a platoon partner, just more at bats.

Eh, last year had only 26 AB's vs LHP. He hit his usual .192 but happened to jack two of his five hits. Basically all of his production came from those two fluke HR. Are you really going to proclaim him a good hitter of RHP from that?

This year he is back to his usual 200+ point split with 0 HR. It's admittedly in a similarly small sample but I tend to believe in his career stats and stick with the "don't fix what ain't broke" theory.  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Eh, last year had only 26 AB's vs LHP. He hit his usual .192 but happened to jack two of his five hits. Basically all of his production came from those two fluke HR. Are you really going to proclaim him a good hitter of RHP from that?

This year he is back to his usual 200+ point split with 0 HR. It's admittedly in a similarly small sample but I tend to believe in his career stats and stick with the "don't fix what ain't broke" theory.  

I’m saying you can’t draw a conclusion by 30 AB SSS