Three Wishes for MLB

Jagwar

35 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

In order, these are my 3 wishes for MLB

1. Robo Umps
  2. International Draft
  3. Trading of Draft Picks

Not sure what you have against the players that you want the draft.

There is a reason the players are fighting against it.

It's all about lowering costs for the owners.

I'm fine with your #1 and #3, for #2 I'd go with something impossible and have MLB cut all ties with gambling.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what you have against the players that you want the draft.

There is a reason the players are fighting against it.

It's all about lowering costs for the owners.

I'm fine with your #1 and #3, for #2 I'd go with something impossible and have MLB cut all ties with gambling.

I suppose I want to equalize the playing field for #2. If they ran the domestic draft like they did the international draft, what top players would ever want to sign with the Marlins or A's or any small market team? I hate that signing all of the top international talent is all about the biggest pocketbook. Ohtani would have likely ended up with Detroit in the 2018 draft. Why should he get to pick where he goes when Casey Mize didn't get the same choice? 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the international draft is as necessary now with restrictions on the total bonus pool teams can devote to international signings.  

I agree that robo umps is number 1, but I would follow it with

2.  (Re-)Legalize sticky stuff so that pitchers can get high spin rates without putting excessive strain on their arm.  

• Upvote 1

1. Salary Cap.

2. Salary Cap.

3. Salary Cap.

Will never happen- players union would never stand for it....   but it's infuriating.  The big market teams not only outspend to buy the best players from all the other teams, weakening them, but they can also outbid all the other teams to retain their own best players when their contracts are up.  

the only professional sport without a cap....

Greed

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

I suppose I want to equalize the playing field for #2. If they ran the domestic draft like they did the international draft, what top players would ever want to sign with the Marlins or A's or any small market team? I hate that signing all of the top international talent is all about the biggest pocketbook. Ohtani would have likely ended up with Detroit in the 2018 draft. Why should he get to pick where he goes when Casey Mize didn't get the same choice? 

The smaller markets get a larger pool.

Every team is capable of spending the maximum amount of money they are allowed to spend.

Brooks Robinson signed with a crappy team because he knew he'd have a quicker path to the majors.

As for Ohtani, he just would have stayed in Japan until he could come over as a free agent.

That would have sucked for everyone.

You do know he cost himself a lot of money coming over like he did right?

I'd love to see you prove that the top international talent is all about the biggest pocketbook.

Wait, unless you mean International Free Agents should be subjected to the draft?  You can't mean that right?

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I don't think the international draft is as necessary now with restrictions on the total bonus pool teams can devote to international signings.  

I agree that robo umps is number 1, but I would follow it with

2.  (Re-)Legalize sticky stuff so that pitchers can get high spin rates without putting excessive strain on their arm.  

They would just stress their arm for even higher spin rates.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The smaller markets get a larger pool.

Every team is capable of spending the maximum amount of money they are allowed to spend.

Brooks Robinson signed with a crappy team because he knew he'd have a quicker path to the majors.

As for Ohtani, he just would have stayed in Japan until he could come over as a free agent.

That would have sucked for everyone.

You do know he cost himself a lot of money coming over like he did right?

I'd love to see you prove that the top international talent is all about the biggest pocketbook.

Wait, unless you mean International Free Agents should be subjected to the draft?  You can't mean that right?

Yes... I do mean that.

I'll slingshot it right back to you. What top international talent didn't go to the highest bidder? Let's put it close to home. What top international talent was ever an option for the O's?

21 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Yes... I do mean that.

I'll slingshot it right back to you. What top international talent didn't go to the highest bidder? Let's put it close to home. What top international talent was ever an option for the O's?

So if a 30 year old comes over from a foreign league he should be subject to the draft, make league minimum, and not be a MLB free agent until he's 36-37 years old?

So you don't want anyone to come over.  Got it.

I'm done.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if a 30 year old comes over from a foreign league he should be subject to the draft, make league minimum, and not be a MLB free agent until he's 36-37 years old?

So you don't want anyone to come over.  Got it.

I'm done.

I'm glad you're done. Because you've shown that you believe anyone outside of the US can jump to the front of the payroll line in advance of any domestic draft eligible prospect. 

I might think that because you're done you won't have anything else to say, but I know better than that. 

EDIT: And thanks for putting words in my post. Of course I want everyone to come over. But they should have the same privilege as any draft prospect. Ohtani and Yamamoto should have the same front door as Holliday and Rutschman. 

Edited by Jagwar
  • Upvote 1