FA Rich Hill Looking for a Ring

RVAOsFan

3 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

PS. Except for the ‘23 Rangers and the ‘17 Astros, all those bad stretches happened at or near the start of the season, certainly in the first 80 games. 
The Rangers added Scherzer, Montgomery, Chapman, all of whom were productive, while the Os didn’t add pitchers who are clear improvements.

The Astros added trash cans.

So for those teams, the trend was start bad and get better, while the Os are doing the opposite, adding players who, despite future potential, are currently net negatives, or pitchers who, Eflin possibly excepted, are change-of-scenery gambles.

So the Rangers added those players and had a bad stretch with them. 

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

So? It is OK that the Os suck as long as everybody else sucks too? That ignores the fact that the Os have indeed been playing terribly.

We are not yet suffering the full consequences of our bad play, but to use that as a defense is wrong.

Look, you can continue putting and crying if you like. I’m just pointing out we’re in first place and not the only team struggling. 

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Obviously the Rodriguez injury hurts a TON.

But we have added Holliday, Mayo, Eflin, and Dominguez, and I think 3 of those 4 have already helped us and improved us.

Obviously, we have to start playing better.   And I think we will.   I think we have more talent than a .500 team so we will play over .500 the rest of the way.   

Mayo has been a pure disaster, and Holliday is hitting .186 with terrible defense. Neither has been a net positive.

Eflin has has two starts of 12 innings, 15 hits and 5 runs. He’s good but will suffer from the bad defense because he gives up a lot of hits. Dominguez may be fine, but Soto certainly has been awful and Rogers isn’t any better than Kremer, so at best that’s a wash.

Mayo and Holliday are admitted defensive liabilities, so the Os have less talent than they did, and added a pitcher who needs the assistance of an excellent defense. 
however, talent is less important than performance. Henderson is currently a disaster on defense(he’s lost about .5 war) and Urias is scuffling, so the entire left side of the infield is defensively inept. If they played to their talent, we’d have those four games and more.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Look, you can continue putting and crying if you like. I’m just pointing out we’re in first place and not the only team struggling. 

Yes that’s true. I’m not pouting, just stating the obvious about the current performance which is disastrous. I hope it improves, too. Before the Yankees do, and before the Bosox catch them.

I donrt know...44 seems kind of old to me, but then again I'm 47. Pretty sure I cant throw 90. Seems like the most we could hope for is 5th starter type performances of 5 IP per start with around 3 ER as a best-case scenario. Doesn't really get me excited.

2 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I donrt know...44 seems kind of old to me, but then again I'm 47. Pretty sure I cant throw 90. Seems like the most we could hope for is 5th starter type performances of 5 IP per start with around 3 ER as a best-case scenario. Doesn't really get me excited.

He doesn't either. 

5 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Ah, yes. The Mexican League. Here are some starters with similar numbers as Trevor Bauer as a starter:

• Zac Grotz (31) - 2.35 ERA, 1.226 WHIP, 4.26 SO/W
  • Trevor Bauer (33) - 2.48 ERA, 1.044 WHIP, 5.71 SO/W
  • David Reyes (34) - 2.49 ERA, 0.886 WHIP, 6.07 SO/W
  • Erick Leal (29) - 2.91 ERA, 1.158 WHIP, 3.96 SO/W

There are another dozen or so with an ERA under 3.5. 

I think folks need to realize that Bauer isn't a spring chicken nor is he pitching in an elite league. The Mexican League is compared to that of AAA or even worse according to some. 

Could he be effective in the majors? Sure. Do we want to bother? No. The guy is a whackjob, clubhouse cancer that shouldn't sniff a major league roster. 

I would bet the clubhouse rallies around him if he pitches well. He gives off Manny Ramirez vibes to me.