Os vs low K teams

Sports Guy

The Orioles have played 35 games vs the 6 hardest teams in the league to strike out.

Those teams are San Diego, Houston, DC, Cle, KC and Toronto.

The Os are 16-19 vs those teams.

In those 35 games, the Os have given up 186 runs, which is good for 5.3 runs per game. 

On the season, the Os are giving up 4.3 runs per game.

Vs everyone else’s, the Os record is 54-31 and they are giving up 3.9 runs per game in those 85 games.

Now, there are a lot of different data points that you can show where the team is struggling or where they are good. The MASN broadcast highlighted the difference between the stats of AL vs NL. That is another example of another data set.

But watching that game last night and seeing them constantly putting bat to ball and singling us to death, it just made me think about this.

To add to this, I just don’t think our team defense is that good.

As a team, the Os DRS is -1, which is 22nd in the league.  They are 18th in OAA at -5 (and that is with Cowser at +10).

The Os are also 18th in K rate.

This a concern of mine. I don’t think this team excels in areas needed to go deep into the playoffs. Defense is mediocre at best and the bullpen is very meh.

Assuming he comes back and doesn’t have mechanical issues like he had before, I think we are good with Grayson along with Burnes and Eflin as top 3 starters. But what happens is any of them have a tough game or after they are taken out?  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2024 at 9:42 AM, Three Run Homer said:

Interesting data.  What is it about our pitchers that makes us especially vulnerable (more than other teams' staffs) to contact hitters?

Not missing bats and not getting Ks…and a mediocre defense.

The defense is the underrated part of this recent mess, and it does explain the K data above. Especially the infielders are better than this, at the individual skill level (Urias, Henderson, Holliday). Maybe it's just a matter of time together to gel. You can see the lack of synch in the missed double plays. So many of these innings and games have slipped away from missed chances on grounders and relays and poor throws. I imagine if our defense was normal/average over the last 6-8 weeks, we'd have 2-4 more wins in our pocket and no one would be in panic mode, despite the injuries and inconsistent pitching and hitting.

Edited by now

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Not missing bats and not getting Ks…and a mediocre defense.

Other teams aren't getting K's against these teams either, but they aren't as vulnerable as the O's to this type of team, relative to their overall win-loss record.  It does make sense that having a good defense is more important against a contact-hitting team, and unfortunately the O's defense has been badly hurt by the loss of Jorge Mateo at second base and Jordan Westburg at third base.  Urias is not what he once was defensively.  Holliday may be a good 2B eventually, but he lacks experience at the position.  

• Upvote 1