Breaking News

Peace21

While this is ecstatic news, let's temper our enthusiasm in regard to promotion timetable. For him to be the #1 catcher Baltimore next season is not only delusional, it's something even Scott Boras would say is ludicrous.

Yeah, I think the best case scenario would be a mid season call-up to back up Ramon..and I'm not saying that's a wise move.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is great news, folks! If we can get Arrieta on board, we have taken two major steps toward the rebuilding of our team. What makes it sweeter is that I am in Charleston, SC (Wieters' hometown). They made a big deal in the Post & Courier when he was drafted; let's hope they make as big a splash when he inks the contract.

Fantastic!

You know, when reading the article in the Sun today about Weiters, I had a positive feeling. It said:

"But agent Scott Boras wouldn't further characterize the talks or predict whether Wieters will agree to terms before Wednesday's midnight deadline."

I took it as a good sign. Usually agents, and particularly Boras, will take advantage of the media to say something to the effect of "we're not close, we need a fair deal, the ball is in their court, etc. etc."

However, Boras didn't say this, and it did indeed turn out to be a good sign.

While this is ecstatic news, let's temper our enthusiasm in regard to promotion timetable. For him to be the #1 catcher Baltimore next season would be beyond miraculous - even Scott Boras would feel that is beyond reason.

Sure there are a few RARE instances of college guys shooting up the ladder, but Weiters is a CATCHER. Let's not be disappointed in him when he's hitting .280 with 12 home runs in Bowie next year.

Take it with a grain of salt, but I asked Steve Melewski from WHFS at the draft presser the O's threw what he saw as a timeline for Wieters. He said, "He could be in an O's uniform in '08, hitting in the middle of the Orioles lineup in '09."

Granted, he's not a scout and has been accused of being a homer, but he was also the radio voice of Florida State Baseball for a few years before returning to Baltimore. He's seen plenty of Wieters in action.

Guest oriofan8

I wonder if Boras said..."Keep my rep, don't announce this until the deadline and...whatever!! :D I bet the basis of this deal was done before we picked him. Might tie into Patterson. I know...I'm rambling...pay no attention to the fat guy typing this post. :D I always look for the deep, behind the scene deals. I like "suspense' novels also. :cool:

I wonder if Boras said..."Keep my rep, don't announce this until the deadline and...whatever!! :D I bet the basis of this deal was done before we picked him. Might tie into Patterson. I know...I'm rambling...pay no attention to the fat guy typing this post. :D I always look for the deep, behind the scene deals. I like "suspense' novels also. :cool:

Could be that both sides want it hushed up til the last minute. Maybe it's such a big deal that they don't want it to influence anyone else's slot money.

Guest oriofan8
Could be that both sides want it hushed up til the last minute. Maybe it's such a big deal that they don't want it to influence anyone else's slot money.

That's what I thought...

I'm surprised no one keyed in on these statements from Boras.

"Obviously, the thing I try to do with this type of player, we try to make sure we have a fit long before the draft. We try to be very upfront about our view of the player and make sure they know how we feel. [The Orioles] let us know that they have a similar view of the player from [owner Peter Angelos] on down."

Archived