8/16 - Red Sox vs. Orioles

86this

6 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

No, that’s what people say who haven’t looked very deeply. The guys they haven’t lost are playing badly. The defense is dreadful. They’re playing sloppy, they’re playing clumsy. Westburg was playing sloppy before he went down. Matteo was playing very well, but he wasn’t a full-time player.

if you think the reason the team is playing lousy fundamental baseball is injuries, well, then, you go right ahead.

Best post of the night right there 

13 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

That’s because in a slug fest like this they’ll score just enough to make it close, but won’t come back.

But then when the pitching is actually decent, they’ll score 2-3 runs and also lose. The offense as a whole isn’t a problem, the whole team has just been wildly inconsistent the last 2 months after being remarkably consistent for 2 years. 

The Chris Hoiles Syndrome 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He can't pitch too much.
He can't pitch with too much rest.
He can't hold runners.
He can't throws strikes.

Maybe he just can't pitch anymore?

It’s possible…he was great for most of the season until 3ish weeks ago. Has he just lost complete confidence?  

That said, the stats say he’s very good 0-2 days rest and not good 3+.

13 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

One of the most frustrating losses of the year and there have been many

Despite a horrific start by Burnes, this game was winnable

Pathetic hitting at the top of the lineup    So many runners left in scoring position 

Inexcusable pitching decisions by Hyde letting Burnes come out in the 4th, allowing him to continue throughout the 4th,  with game still close he brings in the worst pitcher on the team Kimbrel  to secure the loss.  I just don’t know what goes on in his head during the game.  He’s maddening- beyond frustrating 

My only counterpoint is that we are in a stretch of 13 games in a row and at some point you have trust your “ace” to pick it up and get through it. Clearly it didn’t work out and is subject to debate. My opinion is we probably still lose this game by a similar score whether he leaves him in or not. The bigger problem is why Burnes has started getting lit up recently and has had no dominant outings.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I guess it was a well planned play that worked.  Holliday needs to be told that Burnes doesn't care about stolen bases.  Stolen base % has to be like 85 or 90% against Burnes.  Any speedy guy, the stolen base is pretty much a given.  If Burnes had had a regular off night and given up say 3 runs in 5 innings, this would be going in the win column.  This is so unlike any of his other starts. 

Agree with most all of this except that Devers isn't speedy at all. Sprint speed is 26.6 ft/sec, which is 16th on the 2024 Red Sox roster. 

2 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

My only counterpoint is that we are in a stretch of 13 games in a row and at some point you have trust your “ace” to pick it up and get through it. Clearly it didn’t work out and is subject to debate. My opinion is we probably still lose this game by a similar score whether he leaves him in or not. The bigger problem is why Burnes has started getting lit up recently and has had no dominant outings.

That is a major concern but you would think that would be a clue to Hyde to adjust to the game situation if that trend continued.  It did and he didn’t   

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s possible…he was great for most of the season until 3ish weeks ago. Has he just lost complete confidence?  

That said, the stats say he’s very good 0-2 days rest and not good 3+.

I think it fell apart for Kimbrel way back in that Washington series early in the season.  He recovered briefly and had a decent stretch.   But he really hasn’t been the same since and has become a major liability to the team.   He adds nothing of value and has let the team down way too many times.  It’s time to DFA.   It didn’t work out.  

8 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

I think it fell apart for Kimbrel way back in that Washington series early in the season.  He recovered briefly and had a decent stretch.   But he really hasn’t been the same since and has become a major liability to the team.   He adds nothing of value and has let the team down way too many times.  It’s time to DFA.   It didn’t work out.  

???

After that outing vs DC, he was great for 2 months and had legit AS numbers entering the break. 

This is the same path as the last few years. 2 awful stretches but great the rest of the time. The question is, will he snap out of this one?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wavetrapper said:

Don’t forget who allowed Burnes to continue the sh**show way beyond the point it was obvious he had nothing and who called in the worst pitcher on the team.   That’s who blew it 

I cannot agree more. On the other hand, with Povich and big Al starting. We will need our bullpen rested.