One Run Here And One Run There Isn't Going To Cut It.

ORIOLE33

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Oh, you and your pesky facts. I have eyes, and ears, and a nose, and feelings, and they outweigh facts.   😏

The only problem is those facts can be manipulated. For example, the Orioles manipulated their numbers by hitting better since the All Star Break, leading to more runs scored. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, survivedc said:

He may have slightly favored the Mets, but I thought he was pretty off on both sides. Either way, hard to hit with a zone like that.

15 bad calls.  13 in the Mets favor.  If we are keeping track.

I think despite the stats, that this team looks like it has little momentum and just feels a little listless.

12 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

They have a standard deviation of 2.67 runs a game which is good for 10th in MLB.  Not a big difference.  

But that being said, I feel the same way watching games.  It seems they are either hot or cold.  

Isn’t this probably true of most teams?  You’re not literally going to score five runs every game. 

12 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

As others have pointed out, we have eyes. If you don't think this offense isn't struggling, I don't know what to say. This is not the same offense we saw earlier in the season. 

Well to be fair, they’ve been pretty consistent month by month. June was a bit of an outlier as they had an 847 ops. But they’ve hit better in the second half of the season, 764 vs 783 ops. 

10 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Then explain the difference in wins and losses. Was our pitching THAT much better than it is now. There's something the stats aren't telling because this offense does not like remotely as good as it did before the ASG. 

This can’t be a serious question. Of course our pitching has been worse. 

Offense by half: 253/313/452/764 vs 263/338/445/783

Pitching by half: 3.71 era, 1.198 whip, 678 ops against vs 4.73 era, 1.357 whip, 734 ops against. 

Offense ops by month: 762, 715, 847, 762, 734

Pitching era by month: 3.68, 2.86, 3.73, 4.97, 5.01

You can’t possibly look at those numbers and blame the 500 play on the offense. 

11 hours ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

Average numbers blah blah. One feast game makes several famine games average out. It is true. The offense stinks right now and has stunk for a bit. A 12 spot evens it out and makes the "average" apologists look right. There is no consistency anywhere. I would love to see the consistency we had the first couple of months this year again. Punt the 12 spot games. I want to see that 5.whatever runs per game be a 5 to 6 spot 5+ nights a week. As Moose said, what happened to us making the pitcher work and throw a lot of pitches? That has been completely abandoned.

Even the Mariners and White Sox putrid offenses can pull out a feast game to offset the putrid game averages. We are better than that.

This is silly. By month orioles runs/game averages: 5.41, 4.53, 5.62, 4.6, 4.7. 

The offense has been pretty consistent. 

Meanwhile pitching runs/game: 4.10, 3.27, 4.21, 5.36, 4.94. 

10 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

The Orioles just aren't a very good team. This has been going on long enough. I certainly lost my hope of any sustained long playoff run this year if they make it.  

This just doesn’t even make any sense. They have the most wins in the AL and have the second most wins in the majors. For all of their struggles, they must be at least as good as everyone else. 

10 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

We needed a balk tonight to score from third with 1 out.

We still suck at situational hitting.

Cant get the ball in the air. Strike out in key situations.

And Urias hitting the bomb gave us life. But of course, as is often the case, our closer coughed it up under pressure. This is not a team, as currently constructed that is going far in the playoffs. Too many holes, too many weaknesses.

Huh? You don’t know what would have happened in that situation. The very next pitch was a 430 foot home run. 

Alvarez hit a 98 mph fastball high and tight to deep center. Sometimes you tip your hat. The other guys get paid to play too. 

Edited by ledzepp8
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

15 bad calls.  13 in the Mets favor.  If we are keeping track.

I think despite the stats, that this team looks like it has little momentum and just feels a little listless.

Wow no kidding. I was probably being a little forgiving, but didn’t think it was that off. That’s pretty striking.

7 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

This just doesn’t even make any sense. They have the most wins in the AL and have the second most wins in the majors. For all of their struggles, they must be at least as good as everyone else. 

Fine now tell me where they stand since mid June.????I'm a what have you done for me lately kind of guy. 

7 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

Huh? You don’t know what would have happened in that situation. The very next pitch was a 430 foot home run. 

Alvarez hit a 98 mph fastball high and tight to deep center. Sometimes you tip your hat. The other guys get paid to play too. 

The eternal Optimus I see. I can see it now 6 games out with 7 left. Well if this happens and that happens. Lol

Edited by Baseball fandom

2 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Fine now tell me where they stand since mid June.????I'm a what have you done for me lately kind of guy. 

I'm not trying to pretend that they haven't struggled. I'm also not going to pretend that they haven't lost Jordan Westburg, Danny Columbe, Jacob Webb, and Grayson Rodgriguez to the IL. I'm not going to pretend that losing players to injury should have no effect on a team's performance. The other top teams have obviously struggled as well since the Orioles are still tied for the most wins in the AL. That was my point.