Lately, the offense really DOES suck

I no longer think this is a slump. The Orioles have a bunch of young hitters that it looks like pitchers have adjusted to them and right now they are struggling to adjust back. Let's hope they get this figured out soon because the pitching is not good enough to carry them but neither is the hitting to carry the pitching 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

They have faced 5 lefties in the 7 games.   They are without Westburg and Mateo both who are right handed and very good vs left handers so they are having to play 2 of the three of Holiday O’Hearn or Mullins  or they have to play a waiver pickup. If they are gonna score on lefties then Mountcastle Rutchsman and Jimenez have to carry the offense and none has done much over that span and Mountcastle has been out the last two games.  It takes Mullins and O’Hearn out of the lineup and then Cowser, Holiday and Henderson have to hit left on left.  It is no surprise both big hits came when a right hander was on the mound imo.   

• Upvote 2

I personally think the big overall problem is that we're too reliant on our young hitters to carry this team. And we bring in cast-offs like Eloy and Slater or waiver wire pickups to bolster things. 

The young guys have tons of potential but pitchers have been figuring them out and the young guys are still learning mlb pitching. 

I think we're lacking some "been there, done that", steady, veteran hitters. Not Ramon Urias types --- something a bit better.

So tired of seeing us with these 3 hit kind of games.

2 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I personally think the big overall problem is that we're too reliant on our young hitters to carry this team. And we bring in cast-offs like Eloy and Slater or waiver wire pickups to bolster things. 

The young guys have tons of potential but pitchers have been figuring them out and the young guys are still learning mlb pitching. 

I think we're lacking some "been there, done that", steady, veteran hitters. Not Ramon Urias types --- something a bit better.

So tired of seeing us with these 3 hit kind of games.

Waiting till the deadline to fill needs is no longer a viable strategy with the extra wild cards. There’s not enough sellers. We were forced to “buy” Eloy, Rogers, and Phillies cast offs. Needs have to be addressed in the offseason now with FA bucks. That’s on Ruby. 

• Upvote 2

Inject that season runs per game stat into my veins!

All jokes (and stats) aside, the offense has been a problem for longer than this cold stretch just in its inconsistency. I think we will be fine when we get Westburg back and have a healthy Mounty/OHearn true platoon. Doesn't look like Mateo (of Kjerstad) will be back this year which hurts a lot vs lefties. Its hard to feel like we have a chance when the lineup card has Slater, Jimenez, Rivera, McCann (sometimes), Urias (I know hes been our best hitter lately) , and several lefties who struggle vs LHP. Would LOVE to knock Flaherty around tonight.

7 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

They have faced 5 lefties in the 7 games.   They are without Westburg and Mateo both who are right handed and very good vs left handers so they are having to play 2 of the three of Holiday O’Hearn or Mullins  or they have to play a waiver pickup. If they are gonna score on lefties then Mountcastle Rutchsman and Jimenez have to carry the offense and none has done much over that span and Mountcastle has been out the last two games.  It takes Mullins and O’Hearn out of the lineup and then Cowser, Holiday and Henderson have to hit left on left.  It is no surprise both big hits came when a right hander was on the mound imo.   

Holy cow the excuses never stop. Oh no they have to play 2 lefties against LHP. Their 1B with a sub .750 OPS is out. How can they overcome such odds. The offense sucks and it’s not limited to LH on LH ABs.