Don't assume Walker Buehler will fold tonight

Roy Firestone

His ERA is more than 6. He has not looked good since coming off surgery. We have Burnes on the mound tonight. Sounds like an easy win, right?  Not with this Oriole team.                                                                       It seems like the Orioles have more trouble with struggling or statistically unimpressive pitchers, and Buehler is the very definition of that. He still misses bats though, and Colorado hit him hard recently. But with the Orioles track record against high ERA pitchers, I wouldn't count on an easy win. On paper we have to be the favorite. But baseball is never won on paper. See Game 1 in this series.

I suspect the O’s do at least as well as the average team when facing struggling pitchers, however that is defined.  But of course, we always remember it when a struggling pitcher shuts down the O’s.  And struggling pitchers do shut down teams sometimes, even good teams.  So, of course there’s no reason to take this game for granted.  The main thing I’d like to see tonight is Burnes back in good form.  

• Upvote 2

Sad situation with Buehler. There was a time when he had, arguably, the best pure stuff of any pitcher in baseball.

Now he is recovering from his 3rd arm surgery. He had TJS in 2015. Then removal of bone spurs in his elbow in 2022. Then a second TJS and flexor tendon repair in late 2022. He tried to pitch in late 2023 but was shut down. He has struggled mightly in 2024. 

https://www.truebluela.com/2022/8/23/23319108/walker-buehler-tommy-john-surgery-flexor-tendon-repair-dodgers

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Sad situation with Buehler. There was a time when he had, arguably, the best pure stuff of any pitcher in baseball.

Now he is recovering from his 3rd arm surgery. He had TJS in 2015. Then removal of bone spurs in his elbow in 2022. Then a second TJS and flexor tendon repair in late 2022. He tried to pitch in late 2023 but was shut down. He has struggled mightly in 2024. 

https://www.truebluela.com/2022/8/23/23319108/walker-buehler-tommy-john-surgery-flexor-tendon-repair-dodgers

Good example of why we shouldn't assume John Means will come back from his second TJ surgery and be just as good as before.   Coming back once is tough enough.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Corbin dominated the Yankees last night.

Corbin left his career in October 2019 and flags fly forever - another Gerrit Cole game was a nice circumstance to get his juices flowing one more night.

I don't rule him out as a Jordan Lyles/Kyle Gibson character for the 2025 Orioles if Trevor Rogers is really hopeless.

Leading the league in losses 4 straight years might put you in line for a 1-year deal, and the Orioles favorite durability is there.

The SP matchup tonight...does Burnes right the ship?

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

His ERA is more than 6. He has not looked good since coming off surgery. We have Burnes on the mound tonight. Sounds like an easy win, right?  Not with this Oriole team.                                                                       It seems like the Orioles have more trouble with struggling or statistically unimpressive pitchers, and Buehler is the very definition of that. He still misses bats though, and Colorado hit him hard recently. But with the Orioles track record against high ERA pitchers, I wouldn't count on an easy win. On paper we have to be the favorite. But baseball is never won on paper. See Game 1 in this series.

I dont assume anything, especially after last night, butI know what youre doing, Thanks