Burnes certainly hasn't pitched like an ACE

Roy Firestone

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Last year Burnes had a 3.98 ERA and 1.263 WHIP in August and a 2.51 ERA and a WHIP under 1 in September.    

Do you really think it’s about pressure?    I doubt that.   I think it’s fine to question if he is an ace or to say he’s not pitching like an ace.  Just don’t tell me he’s an ace in July, not one in August, and then an ace again in September.   Either you feel he’s an ace or you don’t.   Aces have slumps too.

Some reason people think players are always good or bad throughout the year.  It can change on a dime no matter how good you are.  Cole won the Cy young last year.  In May he had a stretch where he game up 5+ runs in 3 of 4 games and pitched to a a 5.18 ERA and Whip of about 1.6.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, interloper said:

Maybe we can trade for Skubal in the offseason? 

Don't be surprised if Skubal costs either Jackson Holliday or Mayo + Basallo.  Maybe throw in one of Povich, Reilly or Forret in there too, plus who knows what else.  He's probably the Cy Young favorite now, so don't be surprised if the Tigers ask for as much or more than whatever they wanted at the deadline.  

On the other hand if the O's did trade for Skubal maybe they could get back additional players with him.  But the Tigers are not under pressure to trade him, and they are playing pretty well right now too.  If any player costs the farm it's Skubal. 

I think the Skubal moment is over until the 2025 Tigers get data if they succeed or fail.

I believe Elias is going to wait out Bradish health data before making the biggest decisions about his pitching personnel at the 2025 deadline.

Who out of Suarez, Kremer and Povich isn't good enough behind Eflin and Grayson next April?    Young or Irvin or McDermott if Suarez goes pumpkin, but I think Kremer and Povich are sufficient back end options to start a season.

If we buy a SP this winter, I bet it is back at Gibson boring.

9 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

You don’t win a Cy young one year and this year be one of the best starters in the league if you don’t have it.  Right now he is having trouble but a couple starts doesn’t outweighs a few years of data showing him to be at the top of the league.  

It's more than a couple of bad starts....he's been horrid since the AS break. Not sure what's going on...but he's not missing bats. And he's been allowing a lot of runs with two outs. Some of it is bad luck, but I think the pressure is getting to him. 

3 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Some reason people think players are always good or bad throughout the year.  It can change on a dime no matter how good you are.  Cole won the Cy young last year.  In May he had a stretch where he game up 5+ runs in 3 of 4 games and pitched to a a 5.18 ERA and Whip of about 1.6.  

Cole is also 4 years older than Burnes, had a fairly serious injury/injury concern over the offseason, and his stuff has ticked down considerably the last few years, so I’m not sure if that’s the best comparison. 

You’re right that players go through streaks, I think it’s just a bit frustrating as a fan to see his lack of K’s and see him knocked around by good offenses consistently this season. He was hyped up as the ace that the O’s needed, but it’s pretty clear that Bradish when healthy was the better pitcher (and was the second half of last year too). Grayson has arguably been a better pitcher than the Orioles version of Burnes since the 2nd half of 2023 as well. 

He’s still a great pitcher, but he’s not the top 5 SP that he was hyped up to be and I think a lot of fans have held him to that standard. 

1 hour ago, SilverRocket said:

10 whiffs in 25 swings on the cutter last night. Over his previous four starts combined he had only 6 whiffs in 86 swings on the cutter. He had a slump but he's headed in the right direction.

I had really had enough of him two starts ago.  My expectations are high, and he simply hasn't looked anything like what I had anticipated him being for us these past 5-6 starts.  

But seeing this set of graphics is very, very encouraging.  I am surprised that he's working on something mid-season; that's something I expect from a pitcher in Spring Training, or in Triple-A, not down the stretch of a pennant chase.  

If it helps him pull it together for October, though, I'm all for it.  Thanks for posting this. 

18 minutes ago, Surhoffan17 said:

It's more than a couple of bad starts....he's been horrid since the AS break. Not sure what's going on...but he's not missing bats. And he's been allowing a lot of runs with two outs. Some of it is bad luck, but I think the pressure is getting to him. 

He wasn’t bad since all star break.  He was very good in his first 3 starts.  This is his game log.

6 innings 2 hits 1 earned run great start 

7.1 innings 6 hits 3 earned runs.  Great start gave up few runs in 8th inning. 
6.2 innings 4 hits 2 earned runs.  
5 inning 7 hits 4 earned runs 

6 innings 4 hits 3 earned runs 

4 innings 10 hits 8 earned runs

5.2 innings 8 hits 5 earned runs

5 innings 5 hits 1 earned runs.  

There is 4 quality starts in there 3 bad starts and an ok start where defense killed him.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Surhoffan17 said:

This is 100%. Moose gets out of these jams. Burnes doesn't have it and any team paying him will be foolish. 

Even Mussina was not always great.  Looking some of his stats I see in August 2000 -- his last season with the O's --  he had three games in a row where he gave up at least 5 earned runs.  Two of those games he gave up 7 earned runs.  His FIP flirted with 4 and his ERA went above 4 the middle of that month.  He righted the ship toward the end of the month and pitched well, minus one poor game, the rest of the season.

I could probably search for more examples, but one poor month does not indicate where Burnes is headed.  His declining strikeouts over the past few years are a bit concerning, but like someone else pointed out he missed far more bats yesterday and getting better location on his splitter.

If he finishes the season poorly I can see the argument against trying to bring him back, but he doesn't really compare unfavorably against other great pitchers because of one poor month, even in his walk season.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Adley’s terrible framing is screwing Burnes up. Let him throw to McCann. Adley can’t hit either. 

This isn’t a vent post, just reality. 

McCann caught Burnes against the Dodgers. And he also stinks at framing.

Edited by LookitsPuck