Still think this team didn't choke under pressure?

Tony-OH

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's pretty clear that how the Orioles develop hitters does not work at the major league level. Major league pitchers don't make as many mistakes. Every talented hitter than has come up has struggled at first, until they were able to make the major league adjustments. Maybe teach guys to be effective right of the bat?

The entire systems hitting philosophy needs to be changed top to bottom.

This seems like a wacky conclusion to make considering the Orioles have a ROY frontrunner on the team this year, the ROY from last year who just finished an 8 WAR season, and the ROY runner up from 2 years ago.  And lets not forget Westburg who wasn't eligible for ROY voting but went to the ASG.  That's almost half of our lineup.

Now, are they a bunch of choke artists?  Yeah, they are.  Maybe Hyde deserves some responsibility, maybe we need some new players.  But it's not like they aren't having success in the majors.  They weren't even having trouble really against playoff teams in the season, they just collectively take a dump in October.

Edited by Hallas

21 minutes ago, milbest77 said:

Go back to Elias’ introductory press conference in 2018. Nowhere in there did he say the goal is to win championships. He said the goal is to build a talent pipeline, which means Tampa North and being cheap. And let’s not act like Rubenstein is Steve Cohen and will spend a billion dollars in the offseason. He’s a billionaire. He didn’t buy the team to lose money. 

He's in his 70's and was a philanthropist before owning the team (which means he has a history of being comfortable with not keeping every red cent of his money). Why wouldn't he be incentivized to spend?

I understand JA not spending. He simply didn't have the capital/assets to do so and had no money beyond the O's. Rubenstein has no legit reason not to spend.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well here's the the scone pollyanna. Any more out there? 

No, I'm not going to ban you. You wanna love this team as I point out the uncomfortable truth, that's up to you. 

You're a hypocrite. Follow the rules you set for this forum, homie.

• Downvote 1

Mike Elias should definitely be given another year or two. What he’s done is plant a tree, and it takes time to grow.
It’s the coaches, at least, who must share a big portion of the blame. Either they have a terrible philosophy of “swing for the fences,” or when they tried to modify player approach, they failed. Either way they need to go.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

He's in his 70's and was a philanthropist before owning the team (which means he has a history of being comfortable with not keeping every red cent of his money). Why wouldn't he be incentivized to spend?

I understand JA not spending. He simply didn't have the capital/assets to do so and had no money beyond the O's. Rubenstein has no legit reason not to spend.

Peter was a philanthropist.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing cracks me up more than someone questioning the fandom of someone who points out the obvious. 

Pollyanna #3. 

I was just joking, man. Badmouth away. I've been saying all year that Hyde and company were good for the rebuild but it was probably time for someone else to get the team to the next level. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If Matt Borgschulte, Ryan Fuller, and Cody Asche have jobs in the morning, Elias should be called on the carpet by Rubenstein. At the very least they need to go. 

100% AT MINIMUM this needs to happen. And clean out the minor league hitting coaches too with this crap ass philosophy.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

This seems like a wacky conclusion to make considering the Orioles have a ROY frontrunner on the team this year, the ROY from last year who just finished an 8 WAR season, and the ROY runner up from 2 years ago.  And lets not forget players like Westburg who weren't eligible for ROY voting but went to the ASG.

Now, are they a bunch of choke artists?  Yeah, they are.  Maybe Hyde deserves some responsibility, maybe we need some new players.  But it's not like they aren't having success in the majors.  They weren't even having trouble really against playoff teams in the season, they just collectively take a dump in October.

Teams caught on to the approach.  The Orioles were ambushing teams. Gunnar is a stud who will get some numbers.  But look at the second half.  The approach stopped working.  

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

Mike Elias should definitely be given another year or two. What he’s done is plant a tree, and it takes time to grow.
It’s the coaches, at least, who must share a big portion of the blame. Either they have a terrible philosophy of “swing for the fences,” or when they tried to modify player approach, they failed. Either way they need to go.

It takes time?

He's had:

The 2019 season.

The 2020 season.

The 2021 season.

The 2022 season.

The 2023 season.

The 2024 season.

This team was not as successful this year as it was last year and it appears to be in a weaker position going forward.

I'm not saying fire him but he's had enough time to win a playoff game.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Teams caught on to the approach.  The Orioles were ambushing teams. Gunnar is a stud who will get some numbers.  But look at the second half.  The approach stopped working.  

How in the world would Adley and Gunnar ambush teams?  Everyone has known they were good for at least a full season.  Westburg didn't play for most of the 2nd half.  Cowser's worst month was in May.

Edited by Hallas

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Where does Urias play if westburg and Holliday are playing?  Do you trust Hyde to keep him on the bench?

Yes, Urias goes to the bench when the infield is full of other guys who prove they are ready. 

But believe in prospect rankings at your own risk.  Remember Jorge Mateo was once the Yankees' #1 prospect.  It's no sure thing all of these guys will become star players.  And if they don't it won't be because Ramon Urias prevented them from developing.