Do we agree that developing Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B and Mayo 1B/DH.......

wildcard

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Are you serious? Kjerstad has probably been playing baseball for 19ish years

With as much sarcasm as I wrapped my post in, I thought it was pretty obvious that I wasn't being serious actually 😉

And so what? Plenty of guys debut with shaky defense and then get better as they gain more experience. Kjerstad has surprisingly good speed and a great arm, so I don't see much reason to think he can't be at least roughly as good as Santander in RF for us over the long haul, if not even better.

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I really don't think Kjerstad and Mayo need to be developed anymore. They just need to translate hitting success to the majors. 

Holliday I can see needing more developing. 

I can see why you would say this but I expect JH to be the best of these three next year. May be by a decent amount as well. 

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

While I agree the primary goal of the 2025 O's is to win,   I don't agree with your approach for the 3 prospects.

If prospects are given a few at bats here and there and they don't hit its hard to know if they are not hitting because they are not getting regular at bats or they are not hitting because they can't hit.

From what I saw last season the O's can hit well with one prospect struggling.  The O's can probably average 5 runs per game in that situation.  But if a bunch of guys are struggling at the same time that is where trouble lives.

So I would see which of the 3 prospects hits the best in ST and give him a spot.   Hopefully that is Kjerstad to begin with.   Once that prospect is doing well I would call up  the 2nd prospect and give him whatever time to succeed that he needs.  If could be a couple of months.   

Then the 3rd prospect gets his chance.   I  believe committing playing time to prospects is key to them working through their issues and establishing themselves in the majors.

Actually, I don't think our proposed approaches are all that different at all.

Like you, I'm open to seeing what happens in the spring.

Like you, I think Kjerstad is first on the list.

As of right now, imo, Kjerstad has a regular role on the ML team between RF and DH.  I think Mayo could be the 25th man on the ML roster as a DH vs LHP and a spot starter at the corner IF.  And I'd have Holliday in AAA.

But a lot can change between now and  April.

9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I will be shocked if Holliday isn’t starting at 2nd. 

It’s because I think going thru last year will help him. His talent is extremely high. 

That might happen.

I was down on Coswer 12 months ago and he showed up in March looking like a different player.

So it is certainly not beyond Holliday.

8 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I really don't think Kjerstad and Mayo need to be developed anymore. They just need to translate hitting success to the majors. 

Holliday I can see needing more developing. 

Holliday was on base 7 of his last 8 times at bat this year.  That's a pretty good clip.  I wish the year hadn't ended just because of him.  Will be interesting to see if he can keep the productive changes in his batting stance next year.  The O's really need a productive year from Holliday and it would be a bonus to put him at the top of the lineup as I think he's a better fit than Adley or Cowser.