Cots Contracts weighs in on O's Payroll

wildcard

• wildcard changed the title to Cots Contracts weighs in on O's Payroll
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't know how they got 75m.    I added up their numbers to  95.2m counting  the 1.5m buyout of Jimenez.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1x5bu-k__81Rfjcl98QDlTmqkKyIPCylQ4ieEsr73nAk/edit?gid=1520401900#gid=1520401900

I believe for now they are counting all the club options as $0 until Elias exercises the advantageous ones.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Just Regular said:

I believe for now they are counting all the club options as $0 until Elias exercises the advantageous ones.

Right, the $75MM excludes salaries for O’Hearn, Dominguez, Coulombe, and Perez and does not include any buyouts.

1 hour ago, MijiT88 said:

Cots Contracts has more detail on the Davis contract:

7 years/$161M (2016-22)

re-signed by Baltimore as a free agent 1/21/16

16-22: salaries of $23M annually, with $17M paid as earned and $6M deferred without interest

the $42M in deferred money is to be paid in 10 installments of $3.5M annually each July 1, 2023-32, and five installments of $1.4M each July 1, 2033-37

MLB calculates present-day value to $147,831,478 with deferrals, while the MLBPA’s present-day value calculation is $147,737,635

limited no-trade protection

retired 8/12/21, with Davis receiving 2022 salary but agreeing to defer the $17M portion due in 2022 over three years

-------------

So in 2025 Davis is receiving the 3.5m from his deferral

His 2022 salary for 17m was paid in three payment  of 5,666,666 in 2022, 2023 and 2024.  So that should be over.

The 9.1m is the combination of the deferral and the annual payment for his 2022 salary.

Here is the link for Cots contracts, scroll down to Davis.

https://legacy.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/baltimore-orioles/

Edited by wildcard

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This team can ill afford to trade more prospects for Crochet. They already unloaded a ton for Burnes, Eflin, Rogers presumably because Elias wasn't allowed to sign multi-year FA contracts to starting pitchers. We've effectively lost a high upside reliever (Hall), a well rounded utility player (Joey Ortiz), a competitive balance pick for Burnes. We lost a future starter (Baumeister) and 2 position players (Etzel, Horvath) for Eflin. We lost a RHH 2B/3B (Norby) and a backup OF (Stowers) for Rogers. We also traded 2 arms for Soto, one of which was immediately turned into a starter in the minors (Chace). I'm not saying you shouldn't trade to get better, but it's not sustainable. You have to tap into the FA market or be illustrious in the international market a la the Astros. It's a hell of a lot less risky to, say, sign a starter to a 4-5 year deal than to unload so much of your future multiple times a year (offseason, trade deadline), and Crochet is going to cost a ridiculous amount.  Crochet has 2 cost controlled years left. That is worth its weight in gold since he has the performance to go along with it. The conversation is going to start w/ Basallo and will require 2-3 others. You want to go that route? 
    • He’s a better framer and thrower than McCanN and he’s better offensively.  Like I said the other day, he was worth more fWAR in 2024 than McCann has been worth the last 4 years combined. And even if you don’t think he’s a 1.8 guy going forward, he’s still likely an upgrade over McCann. And he’s several years younger. The issue is that he may get more than 1 year and I wouldn’t do that.
    • Help me understand your affection for Carson Kelly. His DRS has gone from 1 to -6  in two years, his other stats are solid. He does throw well. So I will give you that he has very good defensive value. He very well might be a defensive upgrade over McCann. Familiarity with the pitching staff notwithstanding. However, he a RH pull hitter whose primary offensive value is his power. Not a great fit in OPACY. In fact, according to Baseball Savant, there is no park in all of baseball where his adjusted HR (6) would be lower.  
    • I would be very happy with any of this. Even if we can’t get Snell and did a Pivetta and those guys combo, that would be great. But I think the second starter is the one they already traded for…Rogers.
    • I think this would be a coup of an offseason though I think with the injuries to SP we need at least 2x starters added. Snell and Pivetta Snell and Buehler or Snell and a trade (ie Detmers, Woo)
    • Lol..yea if you are near Watson or Levis, things aren’t going well for you. Yea for sure..some of the charts can be tough to figure out. But this one is pretty clear. He isn’t going to his first read. Look at all the QBs in his quadrant. Outside of Jayden Daniels, pretty much all the QBs you want are there.
    • I agree. While McDermott as the repertoire of a starter, he'll never have the command to be more than a 4-5 inning starter on most days. He should be converted this spring like they did with Baumann and tell him he's going to be a reliever.  I think he has closer upside in relief.
  • Popular Contributors