Rubenstein: Orioles will speed up the effort to get to a World Series

waroriole

Just now, Sports Guy said:

What does this mean?

It means that if they look to free agency for a decent SP, a good RH bat to replace Santander and a couple of bullpen pieces and it brings the payroll up $130 million that should be enough to get value out of the deals.  But the O's need better than a decent SP.  Last year Aaron Nola got a 7/172 deal at roughly Corbin Burnes' age.  That's my benchmark for a fair market price deal for good starting pitching.   Burnes probably gets more because he's a little better.  But if he goes for an AAV of less than $30 million or contract length of less than 7 years to some team other than the O's, I'll be pissed.

I agree that the O's don't need much in free agency near-term, but there is no longer any reason to automatically order from the budget menu either.

25 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I can see them signing Santander to a stupid contract. That wouldn’t shock me but they would tout it as liftoff. 

Nah,  he gets the QO and he’s gone.   Thank you Tony for the great years.

i expect an extension or two (not saying I agree with extending AR at this stage) , a top tier FA Pitcher, and a RH bat.   A trade from our corner infield surplus for a bullpen or back of the rotation arm,  and that’s all. 

16 minutes ago, Keygans said:

Nah,  he gets the QO and he’s gone.   Thank you Tony for the great years.

i expect an extension or two (not saying I agree with extending AR at this stage) , a top tier FA Pitcher, and a RH bat.   A trade from our corner infield surplus for a bullpen or back of the rotation arm,  and that’s all. 

That's all?  A top tier FA pitcher, a RH bat and a bullpen or back of the rotation arm would be a lot IMO.

57 minutes ago, 24fps said:

It means that if they look to free agency for a decent SP, a good RH bat to replace Santander and a couple of bullpen pieces and it brings the payroll up $130 million that should be enough to get value out of the deals.  But the O's need better than a decent SP.  Last year Aaron Nola got a 7/172 deal at roughly Corbin Burnes' age.  That's my benchmark for a fair market price deal for good starting pitching.   Burnes probably gets more because he's a little better.  But if he goes for an AAV of less than $30 million or contract length of less than 7 years to some team other than the O's, I'll be pissed.

I agree that the O's don't need much in free agency near-term, but there is no longer any reason to automatically order from the budget menu either.

You use the word need a lot. Not sure you understand what it actually means though. 

The Os obviously don’t “need” to do anything you are saying here. They can easily win without spending stupid money on one player.

43 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You use the word need a lot. Not sure you understand what it actually means though. 

The Os obviously don’t “need” to do anything you are saying here. They can easily win without spending stupid money on one player.

I used the word "need" twice in a two-paragraph post.  That's a lot?  I think you're being unfair, so if you don't mind, I'm going to continue until I get my money's worth.  Who know, at the end I might even have a more refined vocabulary for my trouble.

Put me firmly in the camp that believes the O's need to replace Burnes' production if they want maintain 2024's success.  I think they need to move on from Santander and I would prefer someone right-handed who's not a pure DH.  I think the O's need another solid back-end bullpen piece to go along with Bautista although I certainly think that's a place where Kimbrel scale money would be wasted.

If you think a contract around 7/200 for Burnes is "stupid money" fine, you'll get lot of agreement here.  But not from me.  In this day and age that's fair market value for a pitcher of his caliber and people need to stop acting like the O's have no business swimming in that end of the pool.  Just to be clear, nowhere in this thread have I advocated spending for the sake of spending.  I do like your suggestion of $130-$175 million as a sustainable target, even though I think it's likely to end up being low if the O's continue to be competitive - which makes this an argument I'd happily revisit in the future.