Rubenstein: Orioles will speed up the effort to get to a World Series

waroriole

On 10/21/2024 at 6:08 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  Because the ownership isn't willing to spend?

If a team doesn't want to compete as hard as another team they should be rewarded?

Well …are you taking into account that some teams have a whole lot more to work with? I agree with tv money, revenue sharing , and other stuff that Oakland has way more money than they are spending. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Well …are you taking into account that some teams have a whole lot more to work with? I agree with tv money, revenue sharing , and other stuff that Oakland has way more money than they are spending. 

With the number of teams making the playoffs that make the playoffs, every team, if run properly, has a chance to reach the postseason.

Would it be ideal if things were more fair?  Sure.

Do I think the owners would use a salary cap to lower overall spending?

Heck yea I do.

As I've said before teams in NY and LA are going to have an advantage over teams in Ohio and Maryland even if payrolls are equalized.  You think your average NBA player feels the same way about playing in Toronto that they do Miami?  It's never going to be an even playing field.

In this current market, aren’t we the team that has an “unfair” advantage?

#1 Adley, #1 Holliday, #2 Heston, #4 Cowser.

All in our everyday lineup. All acquired because we took advantage of the system and tanked.  Picks that high will never happen again like that with the new rules that MLB put in place. 

We’re not exactly the underdogs anymore. 

Let’s say we choose to resign all of our top picks?  Do we become the evil empire just for keeping our guys?  See why the crying over payroll should stop. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

In this current market, aren’t we the team that has an “unfair” advantage?

#1 Adley, #1 Holliday, #2 Heston, #4 Cowser.

All in our everyday lineup. All acquired because we took advantage of the system and tanked.  Picks that high will never happen again like that with the new rules that MLB put in place. 

We’re not exactly the underdogs anymore. 

Let’s say we choose to resign all of our top picks?  Do we become the evil empire just for keeping our guys?  See why the crying over payroll should stop. 

The crying only seems to occur when there is success.  I doubt any other fanbases will cry about anything we do as long as we continue to not win any games in October.  You can only be an evil empire if you actually win big games and create envy with your success.  We could sign every young player to a long term extension and boost the payroll a ton, but we are a threat to nobody until we show we can actually win even one game in the playoffs.  Until then, we are basically harmless.  

13 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

The crying only seems to occur when there is success.  I doubt any other fanbases will cry about anything we do as long as we continue to not win any games in October.  You can only be an evil empire if you actually win big games and create envy with your success.  We could sign every young player to a long term extension and boost the payroll a ton, but we are a threat to nobody until we show we can actually win even one game in the playoffs.  Until then, we are basically harmless.  

The Yankees have had an incredibly unfair advantage for decades. That’s how you become the “Evil Empire”. The Rays have had a pretty good run of remaining competitive and even winning in October. They will never be an “Evil Empire “. 

If the Orioles win in October they won’t either. The players listed in the post you responded to are a nice collection of young players that were collected because our team was awful. Did they tank on purpose….I suppose but we were pretty awful and stuck in a state where we were eternally mediocre and had an owner who lost half of his tv revenue and didn’t really want to spend. Something had to change.