International class of 2024

eddie83

Orioles mentioned in top 8. Two players mentioned. 

Elvin Garcia could be one of the best shortstops the Orioles have signed out of the Dominican Republic in many years

The Orioles also signed Dominican righthander Esteban Mejia for $175,000, and he continued his up-arrow ascension towards being one of the top pitching prospects in the DSL

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Orioles mentioned in top 8. Two players mentioned. 

Elvin Garcia could be one of the best shortstops the Orioles have signed out of the Dominican Republic in many years

The Orioles also signed Dominican righthander Esteban Mejia for $175,000, and he continued his up-arrow ascension towards being one of the top pitching prospects in the DSL

The link to Esteban Mejia is to a 3B with the Down East Wood Ducks. 

Is it this Esteban?

https://tenor.com/view/esteban-kill-bill-goddamn-better-be-better-gif-21826164

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I think he would consider 1 3-year contract for a stud reliever. Multiple, definitely not.  I would sign Scott to a 3/$50 all day. Team needs an answer for the setup spot that isn't Cano or Coulombe. 
    • Mountcastle for McCormick is a deal I could see each side doing.
    • I'd love to have him, but why would they trade him? They are trying to contend and already have a pretty high payroll, and he isn't even arb-eligible yet, so he is exactly the kind of guy they need right now. If they trade him, they have to replace him in the lineup and that would likely have to come at a much higher price in free agency.
    • The pitch is that they have improved upon a playoff team, have the best young talent in the sport and should be a playoff team in most scenarios.     In other words, it’s the pitch any team can hope for because, for the most part, individual players don’t bring you ticket sales that make a difference.  A guy like Ohtani is obviously an exception but far from a rule.
    • In that scenario what is the marketing pitch to sell or upgrade season tickets?    My first question as an owner would be-how will that that approach generate more revenue?  What is the attendance risk if we continue to play .500 ball?    Where is the hope that they will be better or more entertaining than last year?  Will that approach put fans in the seats willing to upgrade or spend more at the park? Hope brought fans to OPACY last year and frankly I don't believe the experience over the last 100 games  brings them back-sub par defense, pitching  a tedious all or nothing offense, admitted crappy stadium experience. You are losing arguably two of your best, most productive players-the NYY are again a juggernaut, your brand of baseball (last 100 games) is not entertaining.   I don't disagree that moves at the deadline foreshadow roster construction for 2025 but I believe ownership/management will spend for two reasons: -last year's end product was subpar-they over promised and under delivered-lot's of empty seats in the playoffs was very scary from a marketing perspective. -Rubenstein is going to be under pressure to add payroll by MLPA and a very influential faction of owners.  The Orioles have not yet been added to the MLBPA grievance re: teams not spending their revenue sharing funds (Oakland, TB, Pittsburgh, Miami).  This will be a HUGE issue in the next CBA and something  that new ownership given their visibility (both inside and outside MLB) would like to avoid at all costs.      
    • If I was Elias I'd be asking the Giants what it would take to get Heliot Ramos. He hit .370 / .439 / .750 vs LH pitchers this season. He just turned 25 years old, and split time between CF and LF so it would take a lot* to get him. According to Baseball Reference his most similar player by age is.....Anthony Santander.    *Mayo + Bradfield ?
    • Elias isn’t giving relievers 3+ year contracts.    If he can get Holmes for 2 years, great but he’s not going to go nuts with the reliever contracts.  The one year deals for Soto and Dominguez make them near locks.
  • Popular Contributors