After Two Weeks of Pie...

Frobby

And we could lose Pie for nothing..you may think that is nothing but of course, you are wrong.

And what happens if we lose him for nothing? The world ends?

Garrett Olson isn't exactly setting the world on fire in AAA...

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We lose out on the opportunity to see if a very talented, but somewhat flawed player, can adjust to MLB by being given a chance to play everyday.

Let me ask another question:

What exactly is the worst that can happen if this team DFA's Pie and Reimold is called up to take his place?

Pie would become so bitter that he'd build a evil robot army to wipe the City of Baltimore off the face of the map? Was that the kind of answer you were looking for?

On the post game Dave Johnson says he sees nothing to indicate Pie can cut it in the outfield.

He said he would love to know where these "5 tools" are at,he just doesn't see it.

Neither do I.

You got 2 OF who are playing well in the minors,Pie's time is almost up if he keeps playing like this.

What would it take for you to pull the plug on Felix Pie? How bad does he have to be?

He should get the whole year unless he looks awful.

If he continues to look terrible for the next 6 weeks or so, then you re-evaluate but even considering it now is just absurd.

Just say it man. It was me. I just love this Pie discussion as he is a living breathing proof that you beloved stats don't predict much of anything. He is a terrible major league player, despite all the stuff you love to preach that stats predict outcomes! Your eyes tell the tale in this case quite easily!

Only if you accept the premise that the world will end tonight.

Garrett Olson isn't exactly setting the world on fire in AAA...

Who cares?

This is such a stupid argument. We should be done with Pie because Olson is struggling after a few starts? Just absurd.

And yes, the world will end.

We lose out on the opportunity to see if a very talented, but somewhat flawed player, can adjust to MLB by being given a chance to play everyday.

And maybe he just can't adjust. Losing Pie isn't going to hurt us competitively IMO.

He isn't exactly a huge part of the puzzle.

Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Jones are the future. Pie is just a complementary piece. He is easily replaceable. LFers with power and speed aren't exactly rare in this sport and I'm not even sure if Pie has the power part of that equation.

Why do you believe this? Didn't Luis Montanez win the triple crown in AA last year, batting .335, slugging .601, OBP .385, with 26 HR and 97 RBI in just 116 games and 451 AB? When they called him up to the O's, in his 112 AB, he hit .295 and slugged .445, not a bad major league debut. This year, at AAA, after 9 games he's hitting .447 and slugging .523, and OBP .523. It seems to me this guy has learned to hit.

-Larrytt

I don't think he'll hit well enough to hold down a starting role. He had fantastic numbers at AA last season, but he was so much older than the average player in that league that you have to take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I'd give him a shot at the majors, but I wouldn't give him the same type of open tryout I'd give Pie or Reimold.

He'll have to take a spot away from someone else. He won't be given a spot like those guys. If he would have had the same sort of minor league success, at relevant ages, as Pie and Reimold he would have gotten that type of opportunity. But he didn't, so now his road to the majors will be a more arduous one.

I fully expect both Reimold and Pie to be far better MLB players than Montanez. I would, however, bring Montanez up to replace Freel right now and get 1-2 starts a week. If he continues to put up numbers in that limited role, his at bats will increase.

Pie is already becoming one of my all-time most hated Orioles. Right up there with Manny Alexander and Luis Polonia.

He has cost us several runs with his pathetic play in the outfield, and he has struck out almost every time has come up with men on base.

There's a reason the Cubs traded him for a pitcher they didn't even want. There's a reason he has failed every time he's been promoted to the big leagues. He's not good enough to hit major league pitching.

I hope the O's cut him soon, it's time to give Montanez and Riemold a shot to play.

And maybe he just can't adjust. Losing Pie isn't going to hurt us competitively IMO.

Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Jones are the future. Pie is just a complementary piece. He is easily replaceable. LFers with power and speed aren't exactly rare in this sport and I'm not even sure if Pie has the power part of that equation.

Wait, why are you being so impatient about 2009? Aren't you supposed to be waiting for 2010?

That's the ENTIRE point. You don't know and you CAN'T know at this point in time.

There will never be a better time to give a Pie-type player an extended look than right here and right now.

I don't think he'll hit well enough to hold down a starting role. He had fantastic numbers at AA last season, but he was so much older than the average player in that league that you have to take those numbers with a grain of salt.

I'd give him a shot at the majors, but I wouldn't give him the same type of open tryout I'd give Pie or Reimold.

He'll have to take a spot away from someone else. He won't be given a spot like those guys. If he would have had the same sort of minor league success, at relevant ages, as Pie and Reimold he would have gotten that type of opportunity. But he didn't, so now his road to the majors will be a more arduous one.

I fully expect both Reimold and Pie to be far better MLB players than Montanez. I would, however, bring Montanez up to replace Freel right now and get 1-2 starts a week. If he continues to put up numbers in that limited role, his at bats will increase.

The average age for Bowie last season was 25.5.

Why lose the opportunity before finding out for sure?

Only people with zero patience and a complete lack of understanding would write him off after 13 games. Nobody is claiming that he is definitely going to make it. I hate the hyperbole that the "dump Pie" crowd on here, which is much smaller in size than it is in boisterousness, throws around. Everybody who wants him to have a chance realizes that there is a very realistic probability of him not making it. But we also realize the upside of him making it. He's got a ton of talent, and was well-regarded as a prospect for obvious reasons. He's also not blocking anybody who should be getting the sort of tryout he is getting. Montanez doesn't deserve it given his history and Reimold isn't ready yet (ideally he gets at least 3 months at AAA).

He's not harming us in any way right now. Who cares if he struggles? We're not winning anything this year. Everybody in the offseason seems fine with the "we're not gonna win but we're gonna find out about a lot of our young guys" plan but as soon as the season starts and we actually start losing, people freak out. That is the type of reaction that leads to GMs signing guys like Baez and Payton. People thinking that somehow winning 82 games with expensive mediocre veterans is better than winning 72 with young guys that are developing towards something better.

Pie is already becoming one of my all-time most hated Orioles. Right up there with Manny Alexander and Luis Polonia.

He has cost us several runs with his pathetic play in the outfield, and he has struck out almost every time has come up with men on base.

There's a reason the Cubs traded him for a pitcher they didn't even want. There's a reason he has failed every time he's been promoted to the big leagues. He's not good enough to hit major league pitching.

I hope the O's cut him soon, it's time to give Montanez and Riemold a shot to play.

Pie struck out 3 times with RISP in 7 PA. Izturis error on 4/15 against the Rangers led to 7 unearned runs. Why isn't he on you all-time most hated Orioles list?

Archived