Congrats to Bergesen!

JTrea81

The "Iceberg" had a well pitched debut even flirting with a no-no for a bit, the first start of hopefully many in an Orioles uniform. The kid showed grit and fire tonight and got his first ML victory.

And one of the most important stats: 10 groundouts to 2 flyouts.

He's made for OPACY.

:clap3:

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "Iceberg" had a well pitched debut even flirting with a no-no for a bit, the first start of hopefully many in an Orioles uniform. The kid showed grit and fire tonight.

And one of the most important stats: 10 groundouts to 2 flyouts.

He's made for OPACY.

:clap3:

Final Line

Baltimore IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA

Bergesen 5.2 4 3 1 2 4 0 1.59

Very well pitched game.

Couldn't ask for a better major league debut than that. When they said he worked fast they weren't kidding. Seemed as fast as he got the ball in his hand it was on its way to the plate. He fielded his position very well on the play in the first inning, was checking the runners throughout the game, and seemed to have good reaction skills when guys got on base, a welcome change from some of our past pitching prospects (ie Daniel Cabrera).

Very much as advertised with regards to getting ground ball outs, not overpowering but he threw his fastball anywhere from 89-94, which I thought couldn't be right given everything else he was throwing, and had some decent movement on it. He threw a little bit inside a couple of times, hit one batter and almost hit another or two, maybe it was nerves, but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

The one thing that concerned me was that the second and third time through the line-up they were starting to hit him better. It's not surprising really, being it's his major leage debut and his pitch count was rising. If it continues in the future it'll be something to worry about, but we'll worry about that when he gets there.

All in all a fantastic debut from Bergesen. Keep giving us starts like that Berg, and you'll be hanging around for a while.

What I was impressed with was the movement. His slider breaks in on lefties and his fastball breaks away from lefties. It is hard to believe that the guy I just saw has historically struggled against lefties.:confused:

It was VERY refreshing to see a young pitcher come up and have a clue.

THIS IS THE START OF WHAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT!!!:clap3:

He is going to have to expand upon two pitches. His slider is just not MLB quality. His second time through the order was somewhat difficult and I think it will get harder as he becomes more exposed. That said, he was placing his 4 and 2 seamers quite well. He has those two pitches down. They are not great, but his command of them is quite good.

He looks like a middle reliever to me in the long run. Hopefully, he can toil around in the starting rotation for the rest of the year and provide some relief.

Couldn't ask for a better major league debut than that. When they said he worked fast they weren't kidding. Seemed as fast as he got the ball in his hand it was on its way to the plate. He fielded his position very well on the play in the first inning, was checking the runners throughout the game, and seemed to have good reaction skills when guys got on base, a welcome change from some of our past pitching prospects (ie Daniel Cabrera).

Very much as advertised with regards to getting ground ball outs, not overpowering but he threw his fastball anywhere from 89-94, which I thought couldn't be right given everything else he was throwing, and had some decent movement on it. He threw a little bit inside a couple of times, hit one batter and almost hit another or two, maybe it was nerves, but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

The one thing that concerned me was that the second and third time through the line-up they were starting to hit him better. It's not surprising really, being it's his major leage debut and his pitch count was rising. If it continues in the future it'll be something to worry about, but we'll worry about that when he gets there.

All in all a fantastic debut from Bergesen. Keep giving us starts like that Berg, and you'll be hanging around for a while.

I don't think he has historically had issues as games progressed (second and third time though lineups). He had 3 complete games last year in AA.

He is going to have to expand upon two pitches. His slider is just not MLB quality. His second time through the order was somewhat difficult and I think it will get harder as he becomes more exposed. That said, he was placing his 4 and 2 seamers quite well. He has those two pitches down. They are not great, but his command of them is quite good.

He looks like a middle reliever to me in the long run. Hopefully, he can toil around in the starting rotation for the rest of the year and provide some relief.

Buzzkiller.:eektf:

A 23 year old with very good minor league success pitches that game and you come up with this post?

I disagree on the slider too. He threw some good ones tonight.

I can't make any judgment of his slider, other than it doesn't seem easy to pick up out of his hand. I did notice the complete absence of a curve ball and change up. Does he even have these pitches?

I did like how he changed speeds and worked quickly. I would think one more pitch would keep him in the starting rotation.

I think its rotation or bust for him.

I don't see him being successful out of the pen.

As I mentioned before, his best comp seems to be Carlos Silva(Drungo was actually the first to mention this I believe).

Silva gave the Twins 4 years of league average baseball...BB has a chance to be somewhat similar to that IMO.

I do agree that he needs to refine his secondary stuff though.

I think he showed flashes of having a solid major league slider but I agree with you here.

He looks like a great reliever but again, hopefully he can develop into a solid piece of the rotation.

Archived