Congrats to Bergesen!

JTrea81

I have had no discussions with the pitching coaches, but if they think more time in the minors would give him better opportunity to improve his slider . . . then, yes, he should be in Norfolk.

How long does it typically take for pitchers to learn and hone new pitches? I didn't think it was easy. How common is it that someone learns a new pitch at this point in their career and incorporates it successfully?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Out of what I saw in Spring Training and tonight - I can't help but think Scott Erickson. The guy reminds me a lot of him in the way he has good sink on all of his pitches and the speed in which he worked. If I remember correctly, Erickson really only had two pitches as well. I would be very pleased if Bergesen could give us a career similar to Erickson's

Erickson threw harder and better secondary pitches.

Not sure why his slider would get that much better in AAA vs here to be honest.

Just assume have him working with Kranitz.

It won't, but innings 3-6 are going to be an issue for him. Not only was his slider inconsistent, but he didn't set it up particularly well (aside from a good 2-seam to slider sequence in Dye's third at bat). I honestly only saw 2 of 95 pitches for changeups (though I assume I missed some, incorrectly charting them as 4S). I agree with Craw that this is a "win", and O's fans should be happy in my opinion. That said, tonight was a perfect example of what he is and what he isn't. Setting up his slider better will help him, but he needs to mix it in, throw it for strikes and get a true off-speed going for the 2nd and 3rd time through the order. Chicago had him measured well in the 4th and 5th.

How long does it typically take for pitchers to learn and hone new pitches? I didn't think it was easy. How common is it that someone learns a new pitch at this point in their career and incorporates it successfully?

Depends on the pitch.

It could take a while to master an effective changeup but say a cutter could be developed rather quickly.

Oh, it is not easy. It often is just something that clicks and is then honed. Bergesen has been working on his slider for a while now and it is not that good of a pitch. It stands to reason that it will not get much better. That said . . . I imaginie the pitching coaches know better. If they thought that him working on it in side sessions and in game at Norfolk would help improve his use of it as opposed to using it in side sessions and largely avoiding it during games with Baltimore . . . then maybe Norfolk it is. Eh, I don't think it matters much. I'd be surprised if he is starting any game in 2011. I figure he will be a reliever by then.

It won't, but innings 3-6 are going to be an issue for him. Not only was his slider inconsistent, but he didn't set it up particularly well (aside from a good 2-seam to slider sequence in Dye's third at bat). I honestly only saw 2 of 95 pitches for changeups (though I assume I missed some, incorrectly charting them as 4S). I agree with Craw that this is a "win", and O's fans should be happy in my opinion. That said, tonight was a perfect example of what he is and what he isn't. Setting up his slider better will help him, but he needs to mix it in, throw it for strikes and get a true off-speed going for the 2nd and 3rd time through the order. Chicago had him measured well in the 4th and 5th.

Good summary.

Erickson threw harder and better secondary pitches.

What was Erickson's fastball velocity - mid 90s? I think I saw BB hit 92 on the gun a few times tonight. As for his secondary pitches, I thought BB had a pretty tight slider - plus he seemed to be able to locate it well down in the zone.

You know that MASN commercial about how the kids are growing up? That's what I keep thinking of.

I don't know what he's going to do in his next start or any start after that, but tonight he should be very proud of himself.

I think that he's still improving, too.

I agree..To me, I would like to see him develop a changeup...Circle change or something.

Would prefer that to be his second pitch, not the slider to be honest.

Either way I agree..This is what he is...If he keeps the ball down and doesn't walk guys, he will be successful...If he gets the ball up, he will get crushed.

Oh, it is not easy. It often is just something that clicks and is then honed. Bergesen has been working on his slider for a while now and it is not that good of a pitch. It stands to reason that it will not get much better. That said . . . I imaginie the pitching coaches know better. If they thought that him working on it in side sessions and in game at Norfolk would help improve his use of it as opposed to using it in side sessions and largely avoiding it during games with Baltimore . . . then maybe Norfolk it is. Eh, I don't think it matters much. I'd be surprised if he is starting any game in 2011. I figure he will be a reliever by then.

Thank you. I'm hoping that with a good defense he can be useful in some capacity. He gets a lot of ground balls. That's workable in this stadium. So long as he isn't giving up HRs and line drives. I agree with you that he won't be in the rotation come 2011 unless he develops some better secondary pitches.

I think you are amplifying something about his pitching that you didn't like.

If he ends up as a reliever, I don't think it will be because he wasn't good enough to start. Our rotation will have to be really good for him to be moved out of the rotation to start 2011.

I am probably the opposite end of the spectrum in that I like what I have seen from him.

Archived