Things are starting to get ugly

Diehard_O's_Fan

What good is any manager when the team was basically told it's not about this year?

Very true. Still it's inexcusable. Andino's play and mentality of late, as hinted at in this quote and discussed in the "Andino" thread, is inexcusable for a young guy. Mora is (essentially) in a contract year. And Roberts has looked lost this year. It's the boss' job to keep the employees in line. A guy like Huff, ironically, looks like he's playing hard day in and day out. His Joba fist-pumps spark and excite a team. I don't care if you're in last. You're being paid millions of dollars to pay baseball. I understand what you're saying. But I guess last year's Rays thought it wasn't about last year either....I mean they were predicted to finish 4th or 5th by everyone. But hey, we're the O's. Let's check our bags in May. For that, Trembley is held responsible. And surprisingly...I really like the guy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I believe there was a thread on this about a week ago' date=' and its been the kind of night all-around that I don't feel like searching for it. I think Trembley is good for now. To get guys through the thick and thin. But he's not the kind of manager that knows the game of baseball well enough to make the right moves to get you to a World Series. He lasts this year and maybe next. Then it's time to proclaim we're back. IMO Trembley leaving at the end of next year and hiring a "flashy" manager, for lack of a better word, would announce that the Oriole's of the 70's and 80's are back for good. A new manager would be the last step of the rebuilding process. Sucks for Trem...but it's the way of the world.[/quote']

The last great Orioles manager was a relative nobody when he was hired...and he was really short, too. I'm not writing Trembley or this team off on May 20. Too much of a Chewbacca on Endor move.

Talk to me in October, thanks.

I've also seen Star Wars, but I don't see any freakin' Jedi running around.

Actually, I'd say a better movie to ask if I've seen is Office Space.

The Os seem to have Peter Livingston syndrome lately.

"You see, Dave, it's not that I'm lazy...it's that I just don't care. If I bust my butt and get a few extra base hits, it doesn't matter, because we're just going to be bringing up a slew of rookies in a few weeks. It's a problem of motivation..."

I was at the game tonight as well, and some of the lack of effort made me sick. HOWEVER, you cannot blame Roberts for pulling up on the steal attempt. It was actually a VERY smart play. The bonehead award on that play goes to Andino for not breaking for home. Roberts pulled up to get into a rundown that would allow Andino to score before Roberts got tagged out. That run would've counted. I can't imagine it was a straight steal, b/c Roberts was looking back at the catcher. Andino HAS GOT TO BE RUNNING on that play. You learn that in little league! He just stood, and watched the Roberts play develope. INEXCUSABLE!

Very true. Still it's inexcusable. Andino's play and mentality of late' date=' as hinted at in this quote and discussed in the "Andino" thread, is inexcusable for a young guy. Mora is (essentially) in a contract year. And Roberts has looked lost this year. It's the boss' job to keep the employees in line. A guy like Huff, ironically, looks like he's playing hard day in and day out. His Joba fist-pumps spark and excite a team. I don't care if you're in last. You're being paid millions of dollars to pay baseball. I understand what you're saying. But I guess last year's Rays thought it wasn't about last year either....I mean they were predicted to finish 4th or 5th by everyone. But hey, we're the O's. Let's check our bags in May.[/quote']

Even the fist pump bothers me. DT was hired to instill The Oriole Way or some similar iteration. Instead we have a last-place team trying to show up a winning team, horrific fundamentals and a complete lack of urgency. Those who bloviate about it being a transition year should never ignore the fact DT was hired to get the most out of who he has and to instill baseline baseball dignity in the youths. Instead we're regressing, Warehouse hostages easily palliated by 5 cent bromides.

Not sure why everyone seems so surprised. Any objective 'fan' would tell you that this team was not going to win many games this year. It's not about wins and losses this year. It's about young guys developing.

If you think of that way, you will not get so disappointed with the losses. The team to watch this year is Norfolk and that pitching. Last I checked, they are 26-12. That record is a much better indicator for the O's future success than this year's O's record.

I was at the game tonight as well, and some of the lack of effort made me sick. HOWEVER, you cannot blame Roberts for pulling up on the steal attempt. It was actually a VERY smart play. The bonehead award on that play goes to Andino for not breaking for home. Roberts pulled up to get into a rundown that would allow Andino to score before Roberts got tagged out. That run would've counted. I can't imagine it was a straight steal, b/c Roberts was looking back at the catcher. Andino HAS GOT TO BE RUNNING on that play. You learn that in little league! He just stood, and watched the Roberts play develope. INEXCUSABLE!

Yep....RA should have broken for home.

However, BRob always does this on HandRs when the batter doesn't make contact (for better or for worse).

Not sure why everyone seems so surprised. Any objective 'fan' would tell you that this team was not going to win many games this year. It's not about wins and losses this year. It's about young guys developing.

If you think of that way, you will not get so disappointed with the losses. The team to watch this year is Norfolk and that pitching. Last I checked, they are 26-12. That record is a much better indicator for the O's future success than this year's O's record.

It's not the losses...its the effort

Yep....RA should have broken for home.

However, BRob always does this on HandRs when the batter doesn't make contact (for better or for worse).

OK, so if BRob always does this, that's even MORE of a reason for Andino to break for home!

Right now the team is playing not to lose which never works.

- There is a marked difference in the energy and excitement that is present for an Adam Jones plate appearance - he treats most at bats like a battle he needs to win often with terrific results - everyone else looks like they are pressing.

- The baserunning on this team remain a mess.

- The bullpen is just a collective head case - no reason to allow NY to tack on all of these late runs. Should have been a 1,2,3 8th down by 2 in the 9th.

- The Moeller/Zaun thing has gone on long enough - MacPhail admitted when Ramon was traded it was about Wieters - bring him up against the Nats this Friday and run both Reimold and Wieters out there every day.

- Make some BP changes, reasses roles, matchups etc - it's not working right now.

There is some disconnect going on between DT and the team -they are not playing smart or hard other than AJ ad seem to have already decided this year is a lost cause. Andino's poblems are on DT - this is what happens when you don't play someone enough and you are forced to put him on the spot in Yankee stadium.

Normally I call this reactionary, but something is going on here. This team has been terrible fundamentally from a manager that was a career minor league manager, whose job it was to teach. I love Trembley, but I'm not loving the way this team is playing.

QFT

characters

I didn't mean to call you reactionary. I really meant that threads like this, one night of bad baseball, I would call reactionary, however, it is happening way too often this year. My man crush on Trembley is long gone, I am starting to think we need a new voice, we need new leadership.

I 100% agree there is something wrong and I am still a DT fan. I have noticed the last few days Roberts not hustling and others reacting strangely. The manager more often than not takes the blame, but to me that is a recurring problem with this team. We have fired good baseball people every couple of years. I suggest the manager is not the problem but the culture is.

I think DT has the passion and the ability to win, The crop of players, most notably the pitching does not. My mantra has always been if you can not pitch you can not win. We have not been able to for 12 years. We have been at this point before. The key veterans get hit in the mouth with the stone cold truth, our pitching stinks. The frustration sets in, and it is noticed by the fans.

I can not believe, that Miller, Hargrove, Mazzilli, Perlozzo, and now Trembley were all bad managers. It is easy for people to point at moves and mistakes and say the manager is not good, but when you can not stop the other team, there are few options.

Bottom line, unless we are ready to see if the kids can spark some frustrated veterans, a manager change is not going to matter.

It seems to me that everyone is out of the games early. After the homer by Cano (Following Swisher's blast), Nick hung his head in frustration, he did it again after the trifecta by Cabrera. Its got to be deflating to kinda know that your pitching on any given night, be it starter or bullpen, is going to give up a ton of runs.

Archived