Things are starting to get ugly

Diehard_O's_Fan

All I will say is that we need to start seeing improvement from the manager just like from the rest of the players. This year is about evaluation and preparation, and though I'm hoping for a "Felix Pie in May" kind of improvement, I'm not sure if that's coming after almost two full seasons.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We knew the team would not contend this year but we thought the ugliness would be confined to starting pitchers #3-4-5 for the first 1-2 months.

We thought the team would still be competitive on the basis of an above-average bullpen, offense, defense, speed and fundamental execution. Instead, the team has looked bad (ranking well below average) in every aspect of the game, with a few notable exceptions of individual performers (Jones, Markakis; Baez, Sherrill part 2; Pie in May, Hill at first blush.)

So the basic result of 16-24 (losing 3 of 5, just like the rotation said we would) is not the surprising part - it's the wholesale collaboration toward that result that's disturbing.

It is not even June yet and things are starting to get ugly. The Orioles are getting their butt kicked again tonight and will probably get their butt kicked tomorrow. I sure hope Matt Wieters and company can jumpstart this team and get the Orioles on the winning track.

Andrew' date='[/quote']

You and me both. And i beleive they will. When young pitchers start to come to Baltimore and Weiters is in Baltimore, it can only get better.

And you didn't expect this???? With the sulg pitching staff AM placed on the field to start the season there is no other possible result.

Shocking. Actually, two of the moves AM made with the starting staff look pretty promising. Koji Uehara has looked pretty good up until now and Rich Hill looks like he could be a solid pickup as well. Guthrie has been disappointing but I bet you certainly wanted him on the team. That's three. I think we all agree that Eaton was not needed or wanted but the people who wanted the Jamie Moyer's of the world probably won't mention his 7.62 ERA with the Phillies. Brad Bergesen is the first of the youngsters to show what he's got. There will be more to come. Things are falling into place even if some people can't see it. Reimold in LF, Jones in CF, and Marakis in RF. Exciting. Wieters becoming the C soon. Tillman, Hernandez & Patton all pretty close to getting their shots as well. Shoot, how terrible that we don't have some overpaid pitcher blocking their way. We got Uehara & Hill on the cheap. Guthrie already was. What 100 million dollar pitcher did you have signing with us?

People are talking about the results for the season to date, as in April and May. We knew what we were getting with Eaton and Hendrickson (you didn't mention him), and yet they were part of the opening rotation. One start from Hill is far too little to base any long-term judgement.

I really don't get why some of you are surprised. Have you seen our pitching staff? This team was not built to win in the first half, and to get frustrated at that is just causing more heartburn. I am watching the first half simply from the perspective of watching guys like Jones, Reimold, Pie and soon Wieters grow. Wins would be nice, but truthfully, they are meaningless until some of our young arms start arriving.

We knew the team would not contend this year but we thought the ugliness would be confined to starting pitchers #3-4-5 for the first 1-2 months.

We thought the team would still be competitive on the basis of an above-average bullpen, offense, defense, speed and fundamental execution. Instead, the team has looked bad (ranking well below average) in every aspect of the game, with a few notable exceptions of individual performers (Jones, Markakis; Baez, Sherrill part 2; Pie in May, Hill at first blush.)

So the basic result of 16-24 (losing 3 of 5, just like the rotation said we would) is not the surprising part - it's the wholesale collaboration toward that result that's disturbing.

Exactly. It's not that they're losing. It's how they lose. Running themselves into outs. Failure to make basic plays. They're playing like they do every September.

You can't blame everything on lack of starting pitching.

Ellen (Amber Theoharris): Clark, I think it'd be best if everyone went home... before things get worse.

Clark (the OH): WORSE? How could things get any worse? Take a look around here, Ellen. We're at the threshold of hell.

Clark (The OH): Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Baseball Season. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Baseball Season since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny f'n Kaye. And when Selig squeezes his fat white ass down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of arseholes this side of the nuthouse.

edit: This was number 6500...had to make it a good one.

Good. I'm glad they're getting ugly. I'm glad that the GROWING PAINS are showing themsevles.

I'd rather see the team struggle now, filter in youngsters, continue to struggle, and get better with experience.

This year is SUCH a wash, but I'm glad that it's now full-blown rebuild.

I tell you what... when Mora is gone or retired, this team is going to look MUCH better on the basepaths and in other in-game, split-decision-making areas. It's almost as if you can see the question mark popping up above Mora's head when it's time for him to react.

On any given night it seems likely that the following will happen:

1. The bullpen will allow a huge inning.

2. O's make outs on the basepaths, usually Mora is involved.

3. A defensive mistake in the OF, either a missed fly-ball or bad route to a ball.

4. Questionable decisions regarding pitchers by Trembley.

5. Lots of baserunners left on the bases.

How can a team consistently lose games in the same exact fashion?

Actually, I'd say a better movie to ask if I've seen is Office Space.

The Os seem to have Peter Livingston syndrome lately.

"You see, Dave, it's not that I'm lazy...it's that I just don't care. If I bust my butt and get a few extra base hits, it doesn't matter, because we're just going to be bringing up a slew of rookies in a few weeks. It's a problem of motivation..."

Rep to you sir, this is exactly what this team is going through. They are just going through the motions because they have nothing to play for.

Are you sure you were watching the Orioles play? In another thread, SportsGuy said he liked the way the team fights and plays hard for Trembley. Could he be wrong?(Of course, I noticed he did not post in this thread!)

Archived