I watched the game on MLB.TV. Among many, many stunning social gaffes tonight, he subtley put down the Nationals announcer by "asking" him if he ever pitched in the big leagues, which of course he had only pitched in the minor leagues. My jaw hit the ground - a new low (if that's possible) for Jim Palmer.

And how many times did he say over and over again how he wished he was 22 again and could pitch like Zimmerman again.

Jim Palmer is a narcissist - it's all about Jim Palmer. And if it ain't about Jim Palmer now, wait, it sure will be soon.

He has absolutely no class whatsoever. If you listened to the O's broadcasts for years with Jim Hunter and Jim Palmer as announcers, you would think that Palmer was the only pitcher in the booth. Jim Hunter was every bit the pitcher Palmer was and has tons of class. I've never personally heard him subtley or otherwise bring praise upon himself by talking about his own career and people he played with and all this irrelevent stuff.

Yeah. Jim Palmer has class. Just ask 'em.

I assume you realize that the Jim Hunter who has broadcast Oriole games for the past several years is not Jim "Catfish" Hunter, the great A's/Yankees pitcher who passed away from diabetes a few years ago.

They are two completely, utterly, different people.

Orioles announcer Jim Hunter never pitched, to my knowledge.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's examine the logic behind your post, echo.

You log onto a forum dedicated to the Orioles and, based on some comments by its greatest pitcher, you deduce he has "no class" and make other disparaging remarks about him. More, you've no idea how those in the booth perceived his comments, him, or anything else--they may love #22 for all we know.

I love the fact that #22 blows no smoke up anyone's rear. He tells it just like it is, and that's refreshing and much-needed, particular as a foil to Hunter's always sunny in Birdland outlook and a juxtaposition to the buffoonery of Thorne, who can't correctly pronounce anything. Mr. Palmer has earned the right to say what he thinks/feels and to not have to justify any of it.

Yeah, this will end well. :rolleyes:

Edited by threedaysrest
  • Upvote 1

I watched the game on MLB.TV. Among many, many stunning social gaffes tonight, he subtley put down the Nationals announcer by "asking" him if he ever pitched in the big leagues, which of course he had only pitched in the minor leagues. My jaw hit the ground - a new low (if that's possible) for Jim Palmer.

And how many times did he say over and over again how he wished he was 22 again and could pitch like Zimmerman again.

Jim Palmer is a narcissist - it's all about Jim Palmer. And if it ain't about Jim Palmer now, wait, it sure will be soon.

He has absolutely no class whatsoever. If you listened to the O's broadcasts for years with Jim Hunter and Jim Palmer as announcers, you would think that Palmer was the only pitcher in the booth. Jim Hunter was every bit the pitcher Palmer was and has tons of class. I've never personally heard him subtley or otherwise bring praise upon himself by talking about his own career and people he played with and all this irrelevent stuff.

Quoted for permanency.

Go back and watch it again. He was asking Rob Dibble if he ever STARTED in the major leagues. As opposed to relieving. The answer was no, Dibble never started a game in the bigs.

While he was at it, Palmer continually praised Dibble for the speed of his fastball, and even quoted the season that Dibble struck out 140 some-odd batters in 80ish innings.

I don't know, maybe English isn't your best language, but from where I was sitting, he was, and usually is, very gracious.

You do know that our Orioles play-by-play guy is not Jim "Catfish" Hunter, right?

Well, that would be amazing, because, unfortunately Catfish went to a better place in 1999.

Our Jim Hunter was inducted into his high school athletic HOF though :clap3:

Eh, I guess I'm a tad late to the party.

I live in Los Angeles and don't follow the O's locally so I don't know much about the local broadcasters in Baltimore.

Perhaps then you should think twice about bashing one of them, no?

Yes, Palmer does talk about himself a lot. The thing is, he rarely does it without having some sort of point to make about the game being played. The guy certainly knows his pitching, and he's more eloquent about it than many lesser ex-players out there, which is definitely saying something since some conventional wisdom holds that the best players don't make great analysts of their art because they didn't have to spend so much time analyzing what they were doing wrong (or what everyone else was doing right)!

Well. I am embarrassed because I didn't know that! :) I live in Los Angeles and don't follow the O's locally so I don't know much about the local broadcasters in Baltimore. I just assumed with the name Jim Hunter that it was THE Jim Hunter.

Still, Palmer is a blow-hard, never the less.

Don't play dumb. Your goofy idea that Catfish Hunter broadcasts with Palmer came up when you did the same thing 12 days ago. Back then, several people pointed out to you that Catfish Hunter has been dead for some time. But, evidently, you just drop in to bash Palmer but don't bother to read anything or learn anything.

Yes, Palmer does talk about himself a lot. The thing is, he rarely does it without having some sort of point to make about the game being played. The guy certainly knows his pitching, and he's more eloquent about it than many lesser ex-players out there, which is definitely saying something since some conventional wisdom holds that the best players don't make great analysts of their art because they didn't have to spend so much time analyzing what they were doing wrong (or what everyone else was doing right)!

I agree...I learn more listening to him than most announcers. Yeah, the ego shines through a lot. Last week in a broadcast he had occasion to mention Dennis Eckersley to make a point of some type, and he said "...and Dennis Eckersley, a Hall of Famer like myself .... ".

I certainly understand how his ego can turn you off but the guy truly knows his stuff and I look forward to games with him in the booth.