Who's your 2008 SS

bigbird

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not just a matter of whether or not he's a net benefit to the club or not. You have to weigh whether 1) his performance, at his salary 2) with a possible upcoming decline in performance and 3) the possibility that this team will not be a contender during his last 2 years here means that it would be better to trade him now. I think its definitely reaching that point.

Looking around at other upcoming young shortstops, I'm curious what the group thinks about the Dodger's Ching-Lung Hu?

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Chin-Lung%20Hu&pos=&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=464341

I don't know much more about him, or anything about his defensive ability.

Baseball Prospectus's Kevin Golstein, pre-season:

10. Chin-Lung Hu, SS

DOB: 2/2/84

Height/Weight: 5-9/150

Bats/Throws: R/R

Signed: 2003, Taiwan

What he did in 2006: .254/.326/.334 at Double-A (556 PA)

The Good: Arguably the best defensive shortstop in the minor leagues, with remarkable instincts, range, and an above-average arm. He's fundamentally sound (making just 10 errors on the season), while also capable of the spectacular play. Despite his offensive downturn, he made great strides in his plate discipline, more than doubling his walk rate from previous season.

The Bad: The question remains as to whether he'll hit enough to be a starter. Even if he does, he'll be forced to bat in the lower part of the order due to his limited secondary skills.

The Irrelevant: Despite his .326 on-base percentage, Hu still finished fourth in the Southern League with 71 runs scored, thanks to batting second in what was an otherwise powerful lineup.

In A Perfect World, He Becomes: A guy who shows up a lot in Baseball Tonight's Web Gems segment.

Gap Between What He Is Now, And What He Can Be: Average. Defensively, Hu is ready now, so it's all about how he comes around with the bat. Triple-A Las Vegas should at the very least make his stats look better.

And then this july in his Monday Morning Ten Pack:

Hu entered the year as one of the best defensive infielders in the minors, if not the best with questions about him instead wondering about his ability to hit. Those questions were answered with a .329/.380/.508 line in 82 games at Double-A Jacksonville, and now with a Futures Game MVP award on his mantle, Hu is going for extra credit at Triple-A. Hu had back-to-back games over the weekend with three hits and a home run, and in four contests for the 51s, he’s now 8-for-16 with three home runs and zero strikeouts. Rafael Furcal is signed through 2008, but next spring the Dodgers have some decisions to make, as Hu will be ready for his shot.

And here Hu making Kevin Goldstein's list as the #2 SS prospect just behind Reid Brignac

2. Chin-lung Hu, Dodgers

Hitting: .329/.380/.508 at Double-A (82 G), .366/.385/.545 at Triple-A (24 G)

The defense was always there, along with a modicum of hitting skills, but all of a sudden Hu’s bat has taken a major step forward, and scouts think it’s for real. Hu has become a more aggressive hitter, attacking the ball early in counts and focusing on lacing line drives all over the field. It’s worked wonders for him, and he has the bat speed and hand-eye coordination to hit .300 in the big leagues without many home runs, but plenty of doubles, and without too many walks, but few strikeouts either. In the field, he’s as good as it gets in the minor leagues, with one observer describing his glovework as “just absurd.” He’s as good as Rafael Furcal right now, and way cheaper.

Rafael Furcal is signed through 2008, but next spring the Dodgers have some decisions to make, as Hu will be ready for his shot.

Exactly, my guess is the Dodgers will try to trade Furcal to open up a spot for Hu. Furcal I think is more attractive then Tejada as he plays better defense and wouldn't cost as much in a trade. I could see a team trading for him and then signing him to a two-three year extension. The Orioles are going to have some selling competition in the shortstop market after all...

Dave, IYO would the Cubs be interested in Miggy and if so what would be the return on him for the O's?

Sure they'd be interested. Hendry's loved the guy for years, and he's nothing if not persistent in pursuing the guys he covets. (See also: Floyd, Cliff.)

With ownership up in the air (for now), it's unclear what kind of latitude Hendry has, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that he can't add a contract with $26M left on it. Some folks seem to think the ownership change could happen fairly quickly, like between now and the end of the year. I'm skeptical about that, but it's conceivable that hurdle could be removed in time for the Cubs and O's to deal this offseason.

I'd think any deal would have to include Cedeno or Theriot heading your way, plus another player or two. Lots of names could enter that discussion.

Sure they'd be interested. Hendry's loved the guy for years, and he's nothing if not persistent in pursuing the guys he covets. (See also: Floyd, Cliff.)

With ownership up in the air (for now), it's unclear what kind of latitude Hendry has, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that he can't add a contract with $26M left on it. Some folks seem to think the ownership change could happen fairly quickly, like between now and the end of the year. I'm skeptical about that, but it's conceivable that hurdle could be removed in time for the Cubs and O's to deal this offseason.

I'd think any deal would have to include Cedeno or Theriot heading your way, plus another player or two. Lots of names could enter that discussion.

Thanks for your insight, I love the way Theriot plays the game.

Thanks for your insight, I love the way Theriot plays the game.

Theriot's been terrific for the Cubbies this year -- he's played nearly flawless defense, he runs the bases very well, and he's a good fit in the 2 hole between Soriano and DLee.

It'd be futile to discuss him in trade talks though, because folks will flip over to his stat page and conclude he's a worthless scrub -- statistically, nothing jumps out.

It'd be futile to discuss him in trade talks though, because folks will flip over to his stat page and conclude he's a worthless scrub -- statistically, nothing jumps out.

I disagree. Solid OBP, good SB%, great defense and a little power from the SS position? And far away from FA? I'd say that's pretty damned valuable.

Theriot's definitely someone I would accept as part of a package for Tejada.

So... Hu's at SS?

Hu's taken such a major step this year that he would be the centerpiece of the deal, rather than, say, Loney and a lesser SS prospect. But why would the Dodgers want Miggy anyway, seeing as they already have a great SS blocked by a Furcal, who ain't chopped liver neither?

Thanks for the detail on Hu's defensive ability Leitch. Sounds like he'd be a good target but maybe unattainable. It could be the only way he'd be available is if it was centered around something for Bedard, not Tejeda. It could get really interesting this offseason if we made both Tejeda and Bedard available.

Archived