Just send Matusz to Norfolk already!

Three Run Homer

Sometimes reality intrudes on the most carefully laid plans. Now is one of those times. Here is what Brian Matusz has done in his starts at Bowie:

June 17: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K

June 27: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 K (a little rusty after skipping a start)

July 2: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K

Tonight: 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 K

Overall: 26.1 IP, 11 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 32 K; 4-0 record, 0.34 ERA

And he had, what, 29 straight scoreless innings at Frederick before being promoted?

Throw out the timetable. There is no reason for Brian Matusz to pitch another inning at Bowie.

Send him to Norfolk and give him 4 starts there. If they can't score on him there either, then send him to Baltimore.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes reality intrudes on the most carefully laid plans. Now is one of those times. Here is what Brian Matusz has done in his starts at Bowie:

June 17: 6 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 10 K

June 27: 5.1 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 3 BB, 5 K (a little rusty after skipping a start)

July 2: 7 IP, 4 H, 2 BB, 6 K

Tonight: 8 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 0 BB, 11 K

Overall: 26.1 IP, 11 H, 1 R, 6 BB, 32 K; 4-0 record, 0.34 ERA

And he had, what, 29 straight scoreless innings at Frederick before being promoted?

Throw out the timetable. There is no reason for Brian Matusz to pitch another inning at Bowie.

Send him to Norfolk and give him 4 starts there. If they can't score on him there either, then send him to Baltimore.

There is no way that Matusz jumps Tillman. One thing we can say about the Orioles is that they really haven't shocked us when promoting a prospect. Tillman seems to be the next in line for a promotion. I think we see a rotation of Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Guthrie, and Bergesen next season. Koji moves to the pen with David Hernandez, George Sherrill, Jim Johnson, and Kam Mickolio. I think you see us sign a few solid bullpen arms to suplement the fact that young pitchers might struggle early.

If Guthrie can't go on Sunday, we would be better suited to go with a bullpen day.

I do think Matusz at least belongs in Norfolk now. His numbers at Bowie are just silly.

I think Matusz stays at AA until Tillman is called up which may be by the week after the All-Star game. I think Matusz pitches in the future's game and makes at least one more start before being moved up. Not like it really matters if a guy is dominating AA or AAA, as many pitchers are promoted directly from AA as there are from AAA.

There is no way that Matusz jumps Tillman. One thing we can say about the Orioles is that they really haven't shocked us when promoting a prospect. Tillman seems to be the next in line for a promotion. I think we see a rotation of Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Guthrie, and Bergesen next season. Koji moves to the pen with David Hernandez, George Sherrill, Jim Johnson, and Kam Mickolio. I think you see us sign a few solid bullpen arms to suplement the fact that young pitchers might struggle early.

Assuming Tillman goes tomorrow for Norfolk, so that means either Arietta or Matusz are on turn for a Sunday start.

I see Tillman up by the end of July against KC. It would be sooner if the O's weren't on the road against New York and Boston.

Assuming Tillman goes tomorrow for Norfolk, so that means either Arietta or Matusz are on turn for a Sunday start.

Tillman and Matusz will be at the Futures Game on Sunday, hopefully getting some face time on ESPN2.

Tillman and Matusz will be at the Futures Game on Sunday, hopefully getting some face time on ESPN2.

Tillman and Matusz are scheduled to be at the Futures Game.

I'm sure at least one of them will be, and probably both.

But as I posted in another thread, if you don't bring them up by Aug 1, why should either see Baltimore before May 1, 2010 ?

Tillman and Matusz are scheduled to be at the Futures Game.

I'm sure at least one of them will be, and probably both.

But as I posted in another thread, if you don't bring them up by Aug 1, why should either see Baltimore before May 1, 2010 ?

Well, I think Tillman will be up before Aug. 1. But why is that a magic date? The pennant race is over for us already. You may as well ask, if you haven't brought him up by now, why should you bring him up before May 1, 2010?

The reasons to do it are:

1. We need some pitchers up here. Hill and Berken have stunk and it looks like Guthrie may be hurt now. Tillman is the best pitcher available, and may even give us a solid performance (unlike the other journeymen we could throw out there).

2. To let Tillman get some big league experience so he hits the ground running on Opening Day instead of having to adjust to the big leagues in 2010.

Also, May 1 isn't the magic date. It's more like April 20.

Archived