LA Angels

Wild Bill

Kotchman has mono. If you don't think that's been affecting his numbers, you're insane. I fortunately haven't been hit with it yet (though it'll probably happen in the next few years), but knowing from my friends who have, you can barely do anything. All you want to do is just go to bed and die in peace. There's no way it hasn't affected his offense. And it takes a long time to get over.

I have mono right now and I can tell you that it is so bad. I couldn't even imagine doing any kind of physical activity, let alone playing professional baseball at the highest level. I've done nothing but lay in bed now for 3 weeks and it is miserable. I don't know how much longer I can go on living like this. So I can see how having mono might affect his playing ability. I hope for his sake he gets better soon.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have mono right now and I can tell you that it is so bad. I couldn't even imagine doing any kind of physical activity, let alone playing professional baseball at the highest level. I've done nothing but lay in bed now for 3 weeks and it is miserable. I don't know how much longer I can go on living like this. So I can see how having mono might affect his playing ability. I hope for his sake he gets better soon.

Oh, wow, I'm sorry, that must suck. The guy in the room next to me caught it 3 weeks into fall term, wound up having to go home for the semester, and has still looked kind of dragged out for awhile now, even 6 months later. My cousin had a bunch of lung problems freshman year (collapsing and stuff) and they think his mono might have had something to do with it. I hope I never get it. I also hope you feel better soon! It will eventually go away!

ok, I like Jay too, but this is promising. If true, is there a way we can set all things in order, by-

1. Moving Markakis to right;

2. Acquiring a legit top of the rotation pitcher,

3. And packaging enough to add "another" Cabrera to play left?

Who knows, we could be a wildcard contender THIS YEAR if we pull that off.

We're not adding another Cabrera unless we give up another Cabrera. All our other prospects together won't get it done without him.

Im sure the things he hears and reports just fall apart, he has given some great information.

Does this statement sound confusing? Doesn't sound very reliable information, if the reports often fall apart.

Well, Escobar is having a very solid year and i would think they need to see Javy doing alot more than he is now to do that trade.

BTW, i think the idea to get MCab is done now. With the unfortunate extension to Mora, MCab is likely not a possibility anymore because he would complain to much about going ot the OF. He already has a rep for having a poor attitude(although he is young) and since he wants to be at third, it may cause an issue.

Melmo would move to LF and not complain.

We're not adding another Cabrera unless we give up another Cabrera. All are other prospects together won't get it done without him.

I'd be happy to swap Cabreras, and to throw in a couple more top prospects to boot. Miguel Cabrera might be the best young hitter in baseball.

That could be true. Didn't Melvin have some beef with playing outfield for the Venezuela team, because Cabrera was going to be playing third instead of him?

I don't think Melvin would move to outfield for Cabrera if I'm remembering things correctly.

Well, since minor league numbers are good predictors of major league numbers, you should care.

You are also discounting his great defense.

BTW, he has all of 321 ab's at this level? Are you really going to look at a sample size that small? BTW, last year, in 126 ab's(at the age of 22), he had a 836 OPS and averaged an XBH once every 10 ab's. That is pretty solid for a 22 year old.

I care about minor league numbers. How about these? Last year in Sacramento in roughly 500 PA, Kotchman hit .289/.372/.441, which is not impressive at all for the PCL, especially for a first baseman. Baseball Prospectus translates those numbers into major league equivalents of .238/.315/.357, which are terrible and are probably a better indicator of his current ability to hit major league pitching than the small sample compiled in the majors last September.

I'm not saying Kotchman isn't a worthwhile prospect--he's clearly better than any of the first basemen currently in our system, including Val Majewski, and I'd rather have him than any of our hitting prospects except for Markakis and Reimold (which isn't saying much, but he wouldn't be far below those two at least). But I'd need to get back more for Jay Gibbons, who is signed to a reasonable contract and entering his prime.

Oh, wow, I'm sorry, that must suck. The guy in the room next to me caught it 3 weeks into fall term, wound up having to go home for the semester, and has still looked kind of dragged out for awhile now, even 6 months later. My cousin had a bunch of lung problems freshman year (collapsing and stuff) and they think his mono might have had something to do with it. I hope I never get it. I also hope you feel better soon! It will eventually go away!

Thanks, not being able to do anything gets old after a couple days. The one good thing (at least I consider it a good thing) is that I've been able to watch all of the orioles games over the last couple weeks. I'm actually going back to work tonight for the first time in what seems like forever. I can't wait until I get over this crap.

At this point I would not trade Gibbons unless we could get back a consistent young abover average starter.

I don't see anyone in the organization who can replace Gibbons' power, but we have several good pitching prospects in the minors, not to mention Bedard and Cabrera, who should be able to carry the rotation in the future.

Archived