Washington over Baltimore: 1

Washington over Pittsburgh: 4

Pittsburgh over Baltimore: 7

Baltimore over Cleveland: 7

Baltimore over KC: 6

Baltimore over Arizona: 3

Baltimore over NY: 3

Baltimore over Toronto: 0

Neither KC or Arizona have finished their game tonight.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Washington 52 101 -

Pittsburgh 57 95 5.5

Baltimore 60 93 8

Cleveland 62 91 10

Kansas City 63 90 11

Magic numbers:

Washington over Baltimore: 1

Washington over Pittsburgh: 4

Pittsburgh over Baltimore: 7

Baltimore over Cleveland: 7

Baltimore over KC: 6

Baltimore over Arizona: 3

Baltimore over NY: 3

Baltimore over Toronto: 0

Neither KC or Arizona have finished their game tonight.

Big "loss" for the O's tonight. It looks like it is either 3rd or 4th for us. Hope we hold onto 3rd.

Big "loss" for the O's tonight. It looks like it is either 3rd or 4th for us. Hope we hold onto 3rd.

I hope we do to. I have a feeling though the guy I want may be gone by the time we pick though. Of course anything can change between now and then, but we will see. It will actually be interetsing to follow Cole this year. There were rumors of him touching 100 MPH with his fastball which were later shot down by his coach, but he still continues to add more velo with his fastball as he fills out and it wouldnt be out of the question to think he could get close to that 100 MPH mark. Problem is that it doesnt seem his secondaries are as good as Taillon's either, Taillon has a sweet 4 pitch arsenal. So Taillon may still be the better pick, but either way Ill be happy, just leaning toward Jameson :)

I hope we do to. I have a feeling though the guy I want may be gone by the time we pick though. Of course anything can change between now and then, but we will see. It will actually be interetsing to follow Cole this year. There were rumors of him touching 100 MPH with his fastball which were later shot down by his coach, but he still continues to add more velo with his fastball as he fills out and it wouldnt be out of the question to think he could get close to that 100 MPH mark. Problem is that it doesnt seem his secondaries are as good as Taillon's either, Taillon has a sweet 4 pitch arsenal. So Taillon may still be the better pick, but either way Ill be happy, just leaning toward Jameson :)

I've been a little bit concerned that Cole is "pitching to the radar gun," as they say. That's not necessarily a negative but if he's just concentrating on blowing away his competition with the fastball right now and not refining his secondary pitches it won't do much for his development.

This article doesn't go a long way to endearing me to his character, but it's not the biggest concern in the world.

I'm not trying to start some controversy or blow this out of proportion, it just rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

I've been a little bit concerned that Cole is "pitching to the radar gun," as they say. That's not necessarily a negative but if he's just concentrating on blowing away his competition with the fastball right now and not refining his secondary pitches it won't do much for his development.

This article doesn't go a long way to endearing me to his character, but it's not the biggest concern in the world.

I'm not trying to start some controversy or blow this out of proportion, it just rubbed me the wrong way a bit.

Eh, I read the article a while ago, and actually this is what I was referring to. Taillon seems like the total package, but IMO Cole would be a good consolation prize. At this age, its very rare to find a kid who throws hard but doesnt try to blow everyone away. Until he gets to the point9pro ball) where people can hit a good fastball that he will really have to buckle down on his secondaries. I just really love his projectability. He will probably end up with a similar arsenal to Tillman, with a better fastball which could be pretty dominant......

Eh, I read the article a while ago, and actually this is what I was referring to. Taillon seems like the total package, but IMO Cole would be a good consolation prize. At this age, its very rare to find a kid who throws hard but doesnt try to blow everyone away. Until he gets to the point9pro ball) where people can hit a good fastball that he will really have to buckle down on his secondaries. I just really love his projectability. He will probably end up with a similar arsenal to Tillman, with a better fastball which could be pretty dominant......

Of course Cole is an excellent prospect. You don't have to defend his talent to me.

I just wasn't thrilled while reading that article. Like I said, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Of course Cole is an excellent prospect. You don't have to defend his talent to me.

I just wasn't thrilled while reading that article. Like I said, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Hopefully not much to worry about. I actually remember reading Hobgood was said to be throwing to the gun in the outing MiLB.com scouted him....

Who do you like in the upcoming draft?

Yeah, Im pretty sure we end up with the 3rd pick. 2nd pick isnt out of the question, but I highly doubt we get that. I hope we are setting aside a good amount of money to use on our top pick this year so we can still get some good overslotters, but I think Ive said it before, Id much rather have a Taillon type talent and just get maybe 2 or 3 good over slotters rather than having 12 overslotters and a lesser talent....

IMO this is one of those instances where there IS a big difference between talent levels and asking prices unlike with Hobgood and the rest of the HS arms. Taillon truely stands out to me, so I hope they think its worth it to splurge on him....

Hopefully not much to worry about. I actually remember reading Hobgood was said to be throwing to the gun in the outing MiLB.com scouted him....

Who do you like in the upcoming draft?

Right now, outside of Harper, Taillon is my go-to guy. He's got a big projectable body, a plus fastball complemented by three potentially above average pitches, good make-up, very solid delivery. I like him better than I liked Matzek last year talent wise and, to me, he's the total package.

I would also be very happy with Middle Tennessee outfielder Bryce Brentz or Cole at 1:3-4.

Lots can and will change between now and draft day but I am happy knowing that there are four guys who I'd already be very happy with.

Yeah, Im pretty sure we end up with the 3rd pick. 2nd pick isnt out of the question, but I highly doubt we get that. I hope we are setting aside a good amount of money to use on our top pick this year so we can still get some good overslotters, but I think Ive said it before, Id much rather have a Taillon type talent and just get maybe 2 or 3 good over slotters rather than having 12 overslotters and a lesser talent....

IMO this is one of those instances where there IS a big difference between talent levels and asking prices unlike with Hobgood and the rest of the HS arms. Taillon truely stands out to me, so I hope they think its worth it to splurge on him....

Huge "loss" for the O's tonight. getting closer to gettig the 3rd pick.

Cole and/or Taillon haven't selected their "advisor" yet? Hoping against Boras.

Washington 52 102 -

Pittsburgh 57 96 5.5

Baltimore 60 94 8

Kansas City 63 92 10.5

Cleveland 63 91 11

Magic numbers:

Washington over Baltimore: 0

Washington over Pittsburgh: 3

Pittsburgh over Baltimore: 6

Baltimore over Cleveland: 5

Baltimore over KC: 5

Baltimore over Arizona: 1

Baltimore over NY: 2

We've been eliminated from the number 1 draft choice.

I don't expect us to catch Pittsburgh, so I'd be happy to see us go 3-5 for the last 8 games, preventing us from hitting 100 losses, while still securing the #3 slot.

Huge "loss" for the O's tonight. getting closer to gettig the 3rd pick.

Cole and/or Taillon haven't selected their "advisor" yet? Hoping against Boras.

Oh god....I didnt even realize that. Nowadays I dont even know if it matters, if you notice, it seems as though just about all Boras clients end up signing. The biggest problems arise from guys who I think are trying to emulate Boras, like Crow's agent. IMO Taillon is the type of talent that you just go ahead and pony up the cash for...Like Wieters was for us previously....

Oh god....I didnt even realize that. Nowadays I dont even know if it matters, if you notice, it seems as though just about all Boras clients end up signing. The biggest problems arise from guys who I think are trying to emulate Boras, like Crow's agent. IMO Taillon is the type of talent that you just go ahead and pony up the cash for...Like Wieters was for us previously....

Yeah, most of the Boras clients do sign. But those signings occur with teams that will deal with Boras clients. Are we a team that will draft a Boras client?

Bigbird has said several times, AM does not deal with Boras clients. Wieters and Arrieta were drafted under the Duquette era and AM was going to let Wieters go until Angelos stepped in. We have Harper, Ranaudo, and LeVon Washington as Boras "clients" at least.

Probably shouldn't go into this, don't want to make this thread a AP thread.

Archived