2010 Draft Position Race

Excuse my ignorance, but whose AP? I dunno if its someone I dont know of or its Peter Angelos backwards or Andy MacPhail w/o the M. But IMO if we dont take a kid like Taillon because he is a Boras client then I will be very very very disappointed, I mean like JTrea disappointed. Its one thing not to like a guy, but by not drafting a talent like Taillon because of Boras is allowing personal issues to affect the way the team is run and our future competitiveness.

AM is gonna have to deal with Boras soon anyway when we talk about extending Wieters and Arrieta. I agree maybe AM will avoid Boras guys if he can get equal talent with a different advisor, but IMO this is unavoidable. There isnt an equal consolation prize......AM is gonna have to bite the bullet to get the best talent possible here.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but whose AP? I dunno if its someone I dont know of or its Peter Angelos backwards or Andy MacPhail w/o the M. But IMO if we dont take a kid like Taillon because he is a Boras client then I will be very very very disappointed, I mean like JTrea disappointed. Its one thing not to like a guy, but by not drafting a talent like Taillon because of Boras is allowing personal issues to affect the way the team is run and our future competitiveness.

AM is gonna have to deal with Boras soon anyway when we talk about extending Wieters and Arrieta. I agree maybe AM will avoid Boras guys if he can get equal talent with a different advisor, but IMO this is unavoidable. There isnt an equal consolation prize......AM is gonna have to bite the bullet to get the best talent possible here.

Sorry, meant AM, Andy MacPhail.

I too will be very disappointed. I can somewhat/stomach agree with passing on a Boras client if it is reasonably close between two players (I wouldn't be happy though). Saying, it isn't worth the headache, money, and/or time for him when I can take someone I like just as much.

I don't think it is personal, even though there is some baggage from when the O's drafted Ben McDonald years ago. I think it is the combo of what I stated above.

Again just saying that because:

A: We haven't drafted someone advised by Boras since Wieters and Arrieta.

B: Bigbird (I know some people hate him) had made the statement about AM and Boras several times.

I hope that Wieters and Arrieta fire Boras like Guts did. But I do not hate Boras. If you hate Boras, you have to hate the players represented by Boras just as much. All these players including Wieters and Arrieta know what they are signing up with when they pick Boras to represent them. They all want to extract the most money as possible and I don't fault them. But to blame Boras, not the players that chose him is naive. It also means that Boras is doing his job, taking all the blame away from the players and putting it on him.

Looks like it is between us and KC for the third spot. I am assuming KC wins today. So we have a 3 game "lead" between us and KC with them owning the tie breaker of worst record last year.

Washington 52 103 -

Pittsburgh 58 96 6.5

Baltimore 60 95 8

Kansas City 64 92 11.5

Cleveland 64 91 12

Magic numbers:

Washington over Baltimore: 0

Washington over Pittsburgh: 1

Pittsburgh over Baltimore: 6

Baltimore over Cleveland: 3

Baltimore over KC: 3

Baltimore over Arizona: 0

Baltimore over NY: 0

I dunno if funny is the right word, but I guess itd be interesting....

Kind of helps Angelos's case, you can't have two franchises in the DC/Baltimore Area.

Wow, 11 loses in a row. It is almost safe to say we are 3rd or 4th, or dare I say 2nd. We are only one win away from the Pirates, but they have the tiebreaker, so technically it is two. They do have the Reds to end the year.

Kind of helps Angelos's case, you can't have two franchises in the DC/Baltimore Area.

Wow, 11 loses in a row. It is almost safe to say we are 3rd or 4th, or dare I say 2nd. We are only one win away from the Pirates, but they have the tiebreaker, so technically it is two. They do have the Reds to end the year.

Yeah, but they don't have a bullpen built for the stretch* run.

*maybe the muscle pull run

Washington 53 103 -

Pittsburgh 59 96 6.5

Baltimore 60 96 7

Kansas City 64 93 10.5

Cleveland 64 92 11

Magic numbers:

Washington over Baltimore: 0

Washington over Pittsburgh: 0

Pittsburgh over Baltimore: 6

Baltimore over Cleveland: 2

Baltimore over KC: 2

The Nats have clinched the #1 pick.

The Pirates are playing better than we are and will finish with a better record. We will get the 2nd pick. Unbelieveable! Just unbelieveable! Who would have thought this was possible in April? DT will be remembered for a 100 loss season and getting us the 2nd pick in the draft.

The Pirates are playing better than we are and will finish with a better record. We will get the 2nd pick. Unbelieveable! Just unbelieveable! Who would have thought this was possible in April? DT will be remembered for a 100 loss season and getting us the 2nd pick in the draft.

Are we really going to blame Trembley for the 100 loss season when it is the players who play the game. Unexperienced starting pitching, lousy bullpen, streaky hitters (Markakis, Jones, Scott) and guys with down years (Guthrie, Mora, Huff). If the team wins the players had a great season, but if they lose then its their fault. Parents teach thier kids to make the right decision for years and correct them when they make poor decisions, but once they leave the house doing the right thing at the right time is in their hands.

I do not think Trembley handles a bad bullpen correctly, but he is not the one that made it under perform. Outside of an injured Uehara, a traded Sherrill, and Johnson/Meredith who has struggled as of late, not a single member of our bullpen is pitching for any team in the league. Trembley has his faults, but the Orioles were lousy long before Trembley arrived and there is a solid chance that the next year or two under a different coach is going to play out in a similar manner. The Orioles are going to need to supplement this young team with guys who consistantly perform at a high level and have been on good teams before. If we do not do that then it doesn't matter who you bring on to coach.

Lets not count our chickens before they hatch. Theres no guarantee that we overtake the Pirates. They had a worse record than us last year, so we are 1.5 back. With less than a week left, anything can happen. I am positive though we get atleast the 3rd pick....

Itll be itneresting, once the Spring startys up and we see who boosts their stock and whose stock falls etc. Im gonna be intrested to see who distances themselves as the "elite" bunch. Last year it was just STrasburg and Ackley. In 08, there were elite talents drafted all the way in the middle of the 1st. I read an article yesterday daying that the 08 Draft may go down as one of the best comparing it to the 05 draft.....

Archived