Reimold for Kyle Blanks?

wildcard

AM has already said he will not trade ANY of our core players. Is NR considered a core player?? Right now I'd have to say yes. Seems to me lets see how spring training goes and how B. Synder does in the fall league. Some of you guys must think we are just a couple of players away from doing something and that something is what???

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM has already said he will not trade ANY of our core players. Is NR considered a core player?? Right now I'd have to say yes. Seems to me lets see how spring training goes and how B. Synder does in the fall league. Some of you guys must think we are just a couple of players away from doing something and that something is what???

MacPhail's statement about not trading core players came after this thread was started. I agree that Reimold is considered a core player and therefore the trade for Blanks is unlikely unless MacPhail changes his mind.

It sounds like MacPhail will fill the first base position in another manner - FA or trade of Scott or maybe just keep Scott at first until Snyder or Waring are ready.

Blanks looks like a really scary hitter at 6'6' and 270 pound. He has had a good start in the majors and he can apparently field first base. The Padres have a hole in rightfield and while I would hate to trade Reimold, next year he looks like a DH because three other guys that can play the outfield better then he can. I think this looks like a trade that MacPhail might make.

I know a lot of people would like to have AG but he may not be trade because he is a hometown boy and the face for the franchise. And if he is traded then the O's would be competing with about 10 other teams to try and get him.

What do you think of Reimold for Blanks?

Sorry but I agree with Jim Palmer, Reimold is a soild outfielder with a power bat and a good eye at the plate. We have others in the system to trade if thats what you want.I would see what else is out there before I'd make a deal for Blanks.

Sorry but I agree with Jim Palmer, Reimold is a soild outfielder with a power bat and a good eye at the plate. We have others in the system to trade if thats what you want.I would see what else is out there before I'd make a deal for Blanks.

If we could just put Reimold at 1b, end of discussion. But, that isn't happening. Also, read on MLBTR.com that the Padres want to get their payroll down to the $20M range and trading AGon and/or Bell is likely. In that situation, I don't see Blanks going anywhere.

If we could just put Reimold at 1b, end of discussion. But, that isn't happening. Also, read on MLBTR.com that the Padres want to get their payroll down to the $20M range and trading AGon and/or Bell is likely. In that situation, I don't see Blanks going anywhere.

I agree with you on that.

Why can't this happen? Has he already been tried at 1B?

Why can't this happen? Has he already been tried at 1B?

Well, most highly knowledgeable posters here will tell you learning a new position at the MLB level is highly unusual and generally not a good idea. The question isn't can he play 1b, almost anyone can. But, can he be an above average defensive 1b? That's where the issue generally is.

If that's his ceiling, I wouldn't want to swap Reimold even up. Heck, "25 HRs, solid regular" is a legitimate projection for Reimold next season. Reimold's ceiling is higher than that (but so is Blanks's, sorry Callis).

If they have the same ceiling and you have extra OFers and no first baseman, why wouldn't you make that deal?

Strength for weakness...Makes perfect sense to do that.

If they have the same ceiling and you have extra OFers and no first baseman, why wouldn't you make that deal?

A note on MLBTR.com has Olny speculating Prince Fielder will be a Redsock this offseason. That would leave AGon available... I still prefer Blanks.

It makes sense to me, too. I was commenting more on Callis's take, which implied that 25 HRs and "solid" represents Blanks's upside. If that were true, then this wouldn't be worth doing. However, I think that Blanks can be better than that--just like Reimold.

Heck, they're both rookies and they're already solid.

To those of you proposing Jones for Blanks...There is no way in hell the Orioles trade Adam Jones for Kyle Blanks. Jones has blossomed into the player we all hoped he would when we received him in the Bedard trade (save for a slump here or there, and the injuries) and if he becomes a defensive liiability in CF (I personally think he will hover around the average-above average mark) his bat would still play in LF. Not to mention the team is really pushing him as one of the faces of the franchise, including him on most promotional pieces put out this year. There is no way the team trades him straight up or even in a 2-1 trade for Kyle Blanks. It would be taking two steps back for a chance at being marginally better with an equal chance of coming out worse in the end. Not to mention it is a completely unrealistic trade in the first place.

To those of you proposing Jones for Blanks...There is no way in hell the Orioles trade Adam Jones for Kyle Blanks. Jones has blossomed into the player we all hoped he would when we received him in the Bedard trade (save for a slump here or there, and the injuries) and if he becomes a defensive liiability in CF (I personally think he will hover around the average-above average mark) his bat would still play in LF. Not to mention the team is really pushing him as one of the faces of the franchise, including him on most promotional pieces put out this year. There is no way the team trades him straight up or even in a 2-1 trade for Kyle Blanks. It would be taking two steps back for a chance at being marginally better with an equal chance of coming out worse in the end. Not to mention it is a completely unrealistic trade in the first place.

I don't think most of us will agree with that. Jones absolutely has the potential to be a very good player, even a star, but I don't think what we got this year is all we expected him to become. If this is what he is, it would certainly be a disappointment.

Archived