Reimold for Kyle Blanks?

wildcard

Reimold for Blanks? I really like Reimold. I would have to watch Blanks play some more but I actually would lean towards a no on that one. First of all, how is Blanks defense at 1B? He obviously hasn't played much if any with the Pads. What are the reports? Also, despite some nice numbers, I see 55 strikeouts in 148 AB's. Maybe this is this year's Chris Davis. A guy with holes in his swing that gets exploited eventually.

Blanks is solid defensively at first. He's a walk machine with serious raw power.

Yes, he's struck out a bit much as a 22 year old rookie, but strikeouts weren't a huge concern in the minors. He works the count, draws a lot of walks and has excellent power. He was also a .300+ hitter in the minors.

I see him settling into a legit .300/.400/.500+ hitter.

I would trade him for Reimold either straight up or packaged with a B prospect in a heartbeat, but San Diego wouldn't.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Blanks looks like a really scary hitter at 6'6' and 270 pound. He has had a good start in the majors and he can apparently field first base. The Padres have a hole in rightfield and while I would hate to trade Reimold, next year he looks like a DH because three other guys that can play the outfield better then he can. I think this looks like a trade that MacPhail might make.

I know a lot of people would like to have AG but he may not be trade because he is a hometown boy and the face for the franchise. And if he is traded then the O's would be competing with about 10 other teams to try and get him.

What do you think of Reimold for Blanks?

SD has been playing Blanks in RF, who has looked fine out there until he went on the DL.

I'm guessing Reimold and Snyder would be too much for Blanks. Anything SD could toss back our way?

I don't think we would be able to get anything back. I would do the trade though. Assuming Blanks works out as a our first basemen we would have little use for Snyder since most do not see him hitting enough for DH or that much, if any better defensively at first than Blanks.

It kills me that some people even have problems when you suggest trading for a YOUNGER player...and one that fills a needs position. Of course you make this trade. If we listened to all the Oriole homers on this board we'd have a team of 10 outfielders and 10 starting pitchers in 2012...and still be rolling retreads like Wigginton to fill the other slots. The Os need to start looking to trade from positions of strength/depth to fill positions of need, like the middle and corner infield slots.

I'm guessing Reimold and Snyder would be too much for Blanks. Anything SD could toss back our way?

I wonder if they've soured on Headley? Headly and Blanks would be a nice haul, even if we had to include a bit more. Headley would also give us insurance for 3b if Bell doesn't pan out. The reality is not all of these prospects will be all-stars, so I like the idea of hedging our bets. Especially at positions where we don't have positional depth in the farm system.

It kills me that some people even have problems when you suggest trading for a YOUNGER player...and one that fills a needs position. Of course you make this trade. If we listened to all the Oriole homers on this board we'd have a team of 10 outfielders and 10 starting pitchers in 2012...and still be rolling retreads like Wigginton to fill the other slots. The Os need to start looking to trade from positions of strength/depth to fill positions of need, like the middle and corner infield slots.

So you would trade Markakis for him?

So you would trade Markakis for him?

Obviously not because a proven ML player should command more then a prospect. In theory though, trading an OF for a corner infielder makes sense. I'd certainly entertain moving Jones (as much as I like him) if they can land a proven 1b like Fielder or A.Gonzalez.

Yeah, Blanks is younger than Reimold but is he as good and does he project to be as good or better. I'm not so sure. Reimold has as much power as anyone. He's no doubt faster. He's also demonstrated bettter plate discipline throught his career. Getting younger isn't such a big deal when you are going from 25 to 22. I just don't think it's a slam dunk. I don't think that makes someone a homer. Sorry that it kills you. Remarkable that you can post in such a condition.

I like Reimold. I think he's still probably the most undervalued of of our young OFs. To be honest, they'd probably be better off shopping A.Jones and keeping Reimold because they could get more for him.

Obviously not because a proven ML player should command more then a prospect. In theory though, trading an OF for a corner infielder makes sense. I'd certainly entertain moving Jones (as much as I like him) if they can land a proven 1b like Fielder or A.Gonzalez.

If you stripped your transmission changing gears that quick there I'll be glad to recommend a good mechanic ;)

A walk machine? His highest total in a single season is 51 and he's got 47 combined this year in 120 games. That's what you call a walk machine. Solid at 1B? Maybe but my 2009 Baseball America Handbook says he has "average potential" at 1B. Solid sounds generous but I've never seen him play 1B. Let's not forget, just like some of those overhyped Angel prospects, this guy has played in hitter's leagues all along the way. The California League, The Texas League, and the PCL. All are the best hitter leagues in their classifications. Strikeouts have never been a huge issue with him, I'll agree. However, 55 strikeouts in 148 AB's is not good at all. Combined with 18 walks it's at least a little bit of a red flag. I'm not saying he's not the real deal. Just skeptical by nature.

As for his serious raw power, Reimold has a higher career slugging PCT. in the minors without the benefit of the CAL league or the PCL.

Sorry, I should clarify. He may not be a walk machine but he is a guy who averaged 70 walks per full season (600 AB) in the minors while being young at every level.

His power numbers suggest his OBP should translate well to the majors. His plate discipline has been a little shaky but he is a 22 year old rookie. He appears quite polished for his age to me, but there is some risk there.

I have seen him in person, seen video, and read scouting reports and all signs point to him being a solid average defender at 1st.

While Reimold is a slugger, his Mil SLG is inflated due to raking as a 21 year old in short season ball, a 23/24 year old in AA and a 25 year old in AAA.

Blanks was showing advanced raw power as an 18-20 year old. I think they both settle into 25-30 HR guys, but Blanks upside is significantly higher. They will both draw walks.

Blanks is three years younger with better upside and I view Reimold as a below average left fielder or DH. Positional value and age are the real difference makers for me.

A walk machine? His highest total in a single season is 51 and he's got 47 combined this year in 120 games. That's what you call a walk machine. Solid at 1B? Maybe but my 2009 Baseball America Handbook says he has "average potential" at 1B. Solid sounds generous but I've never seen him play 1B. Let's not forget, just like some of those overhyped Angel prospects, this guy has played in hitter's leagues all along the way. The California League, The Texas League, and the PCL. All are the best hitter leagues in their classifications. Strikeouts have never been a huge issue with him, I'll agree. However, 55 strikeouts in 148 AB's is not good at all. Combined with 18 walks it's at least a little bit of a red flag. I'm not saying he's not the real deal. Just skeptical by nature.

As for his serious raw power, Reimold has a higher career slugging PCT. in the minors without the benefit of the CAL league or the PCL.

You are right to point out the advantage he has held playing in hitters' leagues.

I think his age per level pretty much cancels that out though.

I've seen him in person and looked over the numbers and I have no doubt that he'll be a slugger who draws walks and gives you at least average defense at first.

If Reimold could become an average defensive left fielder, I think this would be much more of a toss-up. Looking at the organization as it stands now, I wouldn't hesitate to make this trade.

If we're going after Blanks, I'd rather build our offer around Pie than Reimold. Put simply, I dig the long ball. Trading our power for their power seems like a swap of relative equals more than anything else to me.

Offer Pie and a pitcher.

Hard to say for sure, but I doubt that Pie would be a major chip in that trade. The major chip would have to be the pitcher and then you're talking Big Three or Britton.

Hard to say for sure, but I doubt that Pie would be a major chip in that trade. The major chip would have to be the pitcher and then you're talking Big Three or Britton.
They are pretty thin in the OF, especially CF. Pie or Jones might be very attractive to them.

Archived