Reimold for Kyle Blanks?

wildcard

I like Reimold. I think he's still probably the most undervalued of of our young OFs. To be honest, they'd probably be better off shopping A.Jones and keeping Reimold because they could get more for him.

Now your on it. That is exactly what I have been saying for the last several weeks. Our position of depth from which to trade from is CF, and Jones really should be shopped. Not just traded, but shopped in an attempt to improve our team at a position of need. If we can't get a really good return that improves our team with a trade centered around Jones, then do not trade him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hard to say for sure, but I doubt that Pie would be a major chip in that trade. The major chip would have to be the pitcher and then you're talking Big Three or Britton.

Pie, Turner and Erbe should be more than enough. In fact, I'd try the deal with Johnson instead.

Now your on it. That is exactly what I have been saying for the last several weeks. Our position of depth from which to trade from is CF, and Jones really should be shopped. Not just traded, but shopped in an attempt to improve our team at a position of need. If we can't get a really good return that improves our team with a trade centered around Jones, then do not trade him.

Yeah, a deal of Jones for a very talented young pre-arb player that fits a need is something I'd look for. I think Jones' value may be higher than what it should be, and I'd be happy with Pie taking over in CF.

Blanks looks like a really scary hitter at 6'6' and 270 pound. He has had a good start in the majors and he can apparently field first base. The Padres have a hole in rightfield and while I would hate to trade Reimold, next year he looks like a DH because three other guys that can play the outfield better then he can. I think this looks like a trade that MacPhail might make.

I know a lot of people would like to have AG but he may not be trade because he is a hometown boy and the face for the franchise. And if he is traded then the O's would be competing with about 10 other teams to try and get him.

What do you think of Reimold for Blanks?

You make a good argument. But I take it that the part I bolded is pure speculation, right?

Blanks looks like a really scary hitter at 6'6' and 270 pound. He has had a good start in the majors and he can apparently field first base. The Padres have a hole in rightfield and while I would hate to trade Reimold, next year he looks like a DH because three other guys that can play the outfield better then he can. I think this looks like a trade that MacPhail might make.

I know a lot of people would like to have AG but he may not be trade because he is a hometown boy and the face for the franchise. And if he is traded then the O's would be competing with about 10 other teams to try and get him.

What do you think of Reimold for Blanks?

I too beleive Reimold is a DH, but not sure if i trade him at this point. I don't know anythng about Blanks. I just don't beleive Andy M would trade Reimold.

Markakis, Pie and Jones are an exceptional outfield defensively. And that is what is needed to beat the Yankees and Red Sox. The O's have to come up with players that are better then those team in some ways.

Blank is quite a hitter from what I have read. Power, with decent plate discipline. More power potential then Riemold. His defense at first is improving and he is called an amazing athlete for his size. He hit an inside the park homer in the the majors this year. He hit a three run homer in his first at bat in the majors.

As an outfielder the stats say he has no range. Reimold has much better range in the outfield then Blanks. However, because the O's have three exceptional defensive outfielder Reimold is a DH with the O's. Reimold will be high in the rankings for AL Rookie of the Year. I don't look for him to win it but he should place high and get some respect as a bright newcomer.

Overall I think this is a match. San Diego needs a rightfield (they have two candidate for center with Gwynn and Venable. Reimold gives SD a cheap improving corner OF with great plate discipline. Blanks needs to play first base, he is not an outfielder. He has power and will play a decent first base defensive. He is termed an athlete so I expect him to improve on defense.

Both teams get what they need.

What I think the Padres will have to decide is are the trading their hometown franchise player in AG (like Ripken was for us) or are they keeping him.

You make a good argument. But I take it that the part I bolded is pure speculation, right?

Speculation yes, but based on what we have seen from MacPhail. He likes to be on the recieving end of acquiring alot of players not the sending end. He is more likely to trade for a high potential young player that will be ready by 2011 then spend a ton of money on a established expensive player, if he has a choice. I am not saying he will not spend if he has to. Just that he would rather not.

If MacPhail had to send Jones and Arrieta to San Diego and then try to sign AG for a ton of money versus trading Reimold for Blanks he would pick the Blanks trade every time IMO.

I too beleive Reimold is a DH, but not sure if i trade him at this point. I don't know anythng about Blanks. I just don't beleive Andy M would trade Reimold.

I think you need to do a little research on Blanks and then weigh what is best for the team. That is what MacPhail will do. He would not want to trade Riemold but I think he would trade a DH for a first baseman with power.

I doubt Blanks is going anywhere with Gonzalez so close to FA. Gonzalez would probably be easier to pry away IMO as far as SD's willingness to trade.

Just out of curiosity, if AGon has no desire to resign with his own hometown team, why in the blue hell would you think he would resign long term with us? We would be trading away 4-5 top guys for a 2 year rental, when the Orioles are clearly not one player away. I just don't understand why you get yourself set on one player and cannot take your focus off them! :confused:

I am going to agree with some earlier posters in the thread: inlcluding Snyder in the deal would make it a lot more easy, because the Padres would have an immediate 1b replacement option if AGon signs elsewhere.

I'd say that Reimold, Snyder, and Berken/Erbe would do the trick. Maybe have the Pads throw in a rookie ball pitcher for good measure.

I am going to agree with some earlier posters in the thread: inlcluding Snyder in the deal would make it a lot more easy, because the Padres would have an immediate 1b replacement option if AGon signs elsewhere.

I'd say that Reimold, Snyder, and Berken/Erbe would do the trick. Maybe have the Pads throw in a rookie ball pitcher for good measure.

No way I trade these three for an unproven player.

Your fired as my GM! That is waaayyy too much to give up for a 22 year old first base prospect. That is the kind of package you would have to give up for a top 10 mlb prospect (if Erbe was in the deal).

Don't forget to add Arrieta, Britton, and MAYBE Tillman just in case.

In all seriousness, if those stats can project out, I wouldn't rule out Blanks being special. Adding Erbe may be a little much, admittedly, but I think that 1B is becoming quite an open market inefficiency. I'm also typing this before my first cup of Coffee (Coffee always gets capitalized) , and as armchair GM, I haven't sent Flanny to the Coffee room yet.

So, sure, fine, eliminate Erbe. Throw in a low level pitcher. But I think that Snyder/Reimold are acceptable, if Blanks has the potential to really rake. Snyder becomes a non-issue, and Reimold is really the lynch pin for the deal.

Archived