Knott DFA'd?

Elbren

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This move is completely indefensible. I could care less about the guy we signed. Whatever. DFA'ing Knott over some of these other guys is just ludicrous.

It's been ten years of treading water. Except just like when you're in the pool, you start treading hard and you're only waist deep in water. After a while you start slumping and before you know it you're neck deep.

Next year Knott will hit 25 bombs for the A's or something. Book it.

This is the same Jon Knott who will turn 30 next year, and who has played only 19 games in the major leagues to this point? It ain't all the Orioles' fault he's been in the minors that long.

Are the A's going to be playing with two DHs?

This is the same Jon Knott who will turn 30 next year, and who has played only 19 games in the major leagues to this point? It ain't all the Orioles' fault he's been in the minors that long.

So, instead of giving a guy a chance who was already on the 40 man roster, we go get a 30 year-old relief pitcher with a career ERA over 5.00 and keep two players (Stern and Torres) who will likely never play in an Orioles uniform.

Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

It is their fault they didn't bring him up this year while they gave hundreds of ab's to inferior players.

Anyone here considering the possibility that Knott will breeze through waivers unclaimed, and then be retained by the O's and reassigned to a minor league roster?

This happens all the time with guys like this when a spot on the 40-man roster is needed to add a newly acquired (or promoted) player.

The Cubs have done it twice this season (at least) -- with Koyie Hill and Brian Dopirak.

Anyone here considering the possibility that Knott will breeze through waivers unclaimed, and then be retained by the O's and reassigned to a minor league roster?

This happens all the time with guys like this when a spot on the 40-man roster is needed to add a newly acquired (or promoted) player.

The Cubs have done it twice this season (at least) -- with Koyie Hill and Brian Dopirak.

Nope, all the armchair GM's never thought of that.:rolleyes:

I doubt it. He might pass through waivers, but I don't really see the point in the Orioles keeping him around when he's not good enough (to them) to call up when rosters expand or to even keep on the 40 man roster.

Lot of hysterics about a guy who would be lucky to have ANY playing time in the bigs. He would be just another Jay Gibbons. Only way he would get to a ball is when it stopped rolling.

And don't bring up the Old Gibbons because we all know his stats were juiced.

Or... he could be picked up like Josh Phelps, who they also made that assumption about, and by the end of next year he's putting up a .900 OPS for someone.

It's definately a possibility but it still makes zero sense when there are others on the 40-man roster for whom there is no chance they get claimed. The move wouldn't be so ridiculous if the 40 man roster was full of guys with potential but that is not the situation w/the Orioles.

Jon Knott has a little better history than Koyie Hill and Brian Dopirak.

I say whatever. This isn't a matter of him being better than Torres or Stern, etc. They stink too, and they will be next on the chopping block. Knott failed to impress the Flanagan front office and he failed to impress the MacPhail front office. They didn't want him, so they let him go. He had a lousy year in Norfolk, and spare me the excuses. Maybe he is what he is - a one dimensional mediocre 29 year old minor leaguer.

Sure, I can see where it wouldn't hurt to give him a shot and see if he could contribute next year. Me personally though, I would hope any solution they come up with for next year is something way better than Knott. Why waste our time and his time?

Believe me, I'm sick of seeing the same people in the lineup that you are, and would love just to see what some new faces would do. I'm not going to lose sleep over missing out on Jon Knott though. I'd much rather complain about Moore and House not getting regular time and Reimold not getting a cup. Knott is way down on my list of people I'd like to see.

Archived