Cabrera

Greg Pappas

I didn't say you had to support what he did, but if you are an Oriole fan you should support the principle of what he did. He stood up to the Red Sox. Frankly I'm wondering why there is a lack of Red Sox hatred on this site and in Baltimore in general when their fans invade the Yard and their team owns us. Doesn't that upset people? People hate the Yankees more than the Red Sox and that just boggles my mind. The Yankees have 26 championships to back up their actions, the Red Sox have one in the past 85 years and yet they act like they are the greatest organization in baseball. And everyone from the FO to the players and the fans let them. So if you are an Oriole fan, even if you didn't agree with his actions deep down inside I would think you feel good Cabrera actually stood up to the Sox. It's about time somebody besides the Yankees did...

Come on. This is nonsense, and you know it.

It had nothing to do with "standing up to the Red Sox," for whatever that even means. This was an incident that was completely created by Cabrera's own immaturity and hot-headedness. He was upset that a guy tried to bunt with a 2-0 lead (as if that's taboo for some reason) and upset that the guy successfully distracted him into a balk. He took out his frustrations in the stupidest way possible, by throwing a fastball at the next batter's head.

This could've just as easily happened with the Royals and Mark Grudzielanek as the Red Sox and Dustin Pedroia. There's absolutely nobody but Cabrera to blame for what happened.

I find it disgusting that anyone would actually support the idea of trying to decapitate a batter with a fastball for any reason.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently Pedroia says that pitchers suck a lot. You just don't always read about in the media.

From a pretty funny interview with his college coach:

PM: One time we’re playing Fullerton or something like that and he’s a freshman and he strikes out to lead off the game, which is something he rarely ever does, and I come over to Dustin and say ‘hey Dustin, how was that slider?’ and he says back to me ‘Coach…that thing is so nasty.’ Well the rest of the team heard him say that and they’re going to start thinking it’s nasty and if Pedroia can’t hit that slider then the rest of them can’t hit it either.

I pulled him aside and I said ‘Pedroia, for the rest of your life if someone asks you about a pitch you say ‘ah…it’s alright but I should have hit it.’

But now you’ve got the other side of it where you’ve created a monster and for the next three years every time…every time you asked Pedroia how the pitchers stuff was he would say ‘this guy sucks…he’s terrible.’ He’d just be screaming at the guy ‘this guys terrible…you’re terrible’…all 5-foot-6, 120-pounds of him.

http://hackswithhaggs.com/2007/08/26/did-you-hear-the-story-about-pedroia.aspx

I couldn't stand the Sox announcers after this happened. I have to watch on NESN because I am in the area, and they whined about it for the rest of game. They needed to get over it. And NESN was still talking about it today...

Get off your high and mighty horse and deal with it. If it sounds like I am ranting its because I am. These series have turned into beanball wars... so if they can't take it they should stop throwing at our guys. I have no problem with what Cabrera did given the circumstances.

That being said, I think something needs to happen with him. He clearly is not getting it.

Pedroia just seems like a whiny little punk. I don't normally advocate things like this...but I hope he gets one in the ear tonight.

I'm curious about something.....

Put yourself in Pedroia shoes....your standing at the plate and see the opposing pitcher do something really stupid that cost him a run. Then, on the very next pitch, he buzzes a 95 mph fastball just inches behind your head. Pedroia did absolutely nothing at the time. But what would your reaction have been?

And be honest.

Pedroia just seems like a whiny little punk. I don't normally advocate things like this...but I hope he gets one in the ear tonight.

Regardless of if he is a punk, hope that he gets hit in the hip. A baseball to the ear could really injure a person, I hope you aren't advocating that.

I'm curious about something.....

Put yourself in Pedroia shoes....your standing at the plate and see the opposing pitcher do something really stupid that cost him a run. Then, on the very next pitch, he buzzes a 95 mph fastball just inches behind your head. Pedroia did absolutely nothing at the time. But what would your reaction have been?

And be honest.

What Pedroia said is wrong and you cant argue that. If he wants to say that Dcab was wrong in throwing at him, then that is fine. And if he wanted Dcab to stay in the game because he hits well off him. Thats fine also. But to say he is an idiot and that he sucks. I wouldnt have said that.

1. Get off your high and mighty horse and deal with it.

2. I have no problem with what Cabrera did given the circumstances.

1. Why do so many people here think that the Sox are on some high and mighty horse? Because they are good. I don't understand this mentality.

2. You should have a problem with what he did. I wonder how you would feel if Josh Beckett balked in a run and then threw high at Markakis. You would be outraged. We all would be outraged. We would expect the Orioles to start yelling at Beckett and we would expect the benches to empty. Cabrera behaved stupidly and like a punk.

What Pedroia said is wrong and you cant argue that. If he wants to say that Dcab was wrong in throwing at him, then that is fine. And if he wanted Dcab to stay in the game because he hits well off him. Thats fine also. But to say he is an idiot and that he sucks. I wouldnt have said that.

Pedroia shouldn't have said it, but he wasn't wrong. Cabrera behaved like an idiot. Oh yeah, he sucks this year.

Again, I'm not saying DCaBB was right. But I wonder what would happen if the teams were in opposite roles and it were different teams.

What if ARod or any Yankee were on 3rd base, danced around while Bucholtz was on the mound going from the windup and induced a balk? Whether or not the Red Sox pitcher buzzes the next guy, I'm betting that the Red Sox bandwagon is up in arms the next day and every Red Sox player is in the paper is calling it a "bush league" move, etc. Then that fat a$$, big mouth Curt Schilling says in the press how "bush league" it is, etc, ESPN airs it 24/7 and it simply adds more fire to the rivalry, etc.

DCaBB was wrong for losing his cool but things do get overdramatized b/c its the Red Sox on the receiving end. Better believe that if the O's were on the receiving end no one would care about it, just like no one cares about Ortiz's staredowns, ManRam's showboating, Papelbon's gloating, etc.

Pedroia shouldn't have said it, but he wasn't wrong. Cabrera behaved like an idiot. Oh yeah, he sucks this year.

Regardless if he has sucked this year, Pedroia needs to keep that to himself. Cabrera was frustrated with him self. I dont think it was intentional. I think the ball got away because he was upset he balked and lost his concentration.

It may have looked intentional but until Dcab admits to doing it on purpose I am siding with him. Its about time someone stood up to the Sox.

Again, I'm not saying DCaBB was right. But I wonder what would happen if the teams were in opposite roles and it were different teams.

What if ARod or any Yankee were on 3rd base, danced around while Bucholtz was on the mound going from the windup and induced a balk? Whether or not the Red Sox pitcher buzzes the next guy, I'm betting that the Red Sox bandwagon is up in arms the next day and every Red Sox player is in the paper is calling it a "bush league" move, etc. Then that fat a$$, big mouth Curt Schilling says in the press how "bush league" it is, etc, ESPN airs it 24/7 and it simply adds more fire to the rivalry, etc.

DCaBB was wrong for losing his cool but things do get overdramatized b/c its the Red Sox on the receiving end. Better believe that if the O's were on the receiving end no one would care about it, just like no one cares about Ortiz's staredowns, ManRam's showboating, Papelbon's gloating, etc.

Since when is it bush league to dance on 3rb base? That isn't bush league that is called trying to distract the pitcher. The score was 3-0, not 14-2. As for Ortiz, ManRam and Papelbon, that sounds like a lot of sour grapes. Add all of it up and Cabrera acted like a fool throwing at Pedroia.

Regardless if he has sucked this year, Pedroia needs to keep that to himself. Cabrera was frustrated with him self. I dont think it was intentional. I think the ball got away because he was upset he balked and lost his concentration.

It may have looked intentional but until Dcab admits to doing it on purpose I am siding with him. Its about time someone stood up to the Sox.

If it wasn't on purpose then he wasn't standing up to him. If it was on purpose then he was basically throwing at someone's head because he was mad at him self. That ball didn't get away from him. He threw it behind Pedroia. That wasn't a mistake. Pedroia shouldn't have said what he did, but he spoke the truth.

Since when is it bush league to dance on 3rb base? That isn't bush league that is called trying to distract the pitcher. The score was 3-0, not 14-2. As for Ortiz, ManRam and Papelbon, that sounds like a lot of sour grapes. Add all of it up and Cabrera acted like a fool throwing at Pedroia.

I don't think it is. I also don't think that bunting to break up a no hitter is bush league either, nor is stealing signs. It's up to one's interpretation.

What I'm trying to point out is that some teams are the "darlings" and can't do any wrong. My opinion is that if any team, not just the O's or Yankees, had done it to the Sox, we'd see Foghorn Leghorn (Schilling) saying it was a bush league move to dance around at 3B in order to help win a game and all the lemmings of the Red Sox nation would agree with him.

I don't think it is. I also don't think that bunting to break up a no hitter is bush league either, nor is stealing signs. It's up to one's interpretation.

What I'm trying to point out is that some teams are the "darlings" and can't do any wrong. My opinion is that if any team, not just the O's or Yankees, had done it to the Sox, we'd see Foghorn Leghorn (Schilling) saying it was a bush league move to dance around at 3B in order to help win a game and all the lemmings of the Red Sox nation would agree with him.

I don't disagree with this, but there was no excuse for Cabrera to do what he did.

I don't disagree with this, but there was no excuse for Cabrera to do what he did.

Seems like a good kid who has little baseball aptitude. He'll be out of baseball in 2-3 yrs, unless he sticks w/the O's then it will be 5-6 yrs ;) . I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Let's face it, ESPN and the casual, baseball loving public loves the Sawx b/c they're the anti-Yankees, the hip alternative to the obnoxious, evil empire.

Archived